The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Pyramid City  (Read 6187 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« on: 11/01/2008 22:51:59 »
e

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2008 22:53:22 »

The Shimizu TRY 2004 Mega-City Pyramid is a proposed project for construction of a massive pyramid over Tokyo Bay in Japan. The structure would be 12 times higher than the Great Pyramid at Giza, and would house 750,000 people. If built, it will be the largest man-made structure on Earth. The structure would be 2,004 meters (6,575 feet) high and would answer Tokyo's increasing lack of space.

The proposed structure is so large that it cannot be built with currently available materials, due to their weight. The design relies on the future availability of super-strong lightweight materials based on carbon nanotubes.

WOW !!..what do you think of this ?

You can find more RIGHT HERE

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2008 23:01:37 »
This is incredible, but I don't think I would want to live there.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2008 23:24:54 »

The Shimizu TRY 2004 Mega-City Pyramid is a proposed project for construction of a massive pyramid over Tokyo Bay in Japan. The structure would be 12 times higher than the Great Pyramid at Giza, and would house 750,000 people. If built, it will be the largest man-made structure on Earth. The structure would be 2,004 meters (6,575 feet) high and would answer Tokyo's increasing lack of space.

The proposed structure is so large that it cannot be built with currently available materials, due to their weight. The design relies on the future availability of super-strong lightweight materials based on carbon nanotubes.

Thats pretty incredible.. I was wondering about Earthquakes with it housing so many people in one large area???

Future building materials.. Hmmm thats cool!

I see taking the tour from the link they are weighing all my fears also. Earthquakes and weight being primary fears. Right in the middle of the Habor. Earthquake central!
« Last Edit: 12/01/2008 01:28:57 by Karen W. »

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2008 00:14:26 »
Can I have a non smoking room?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2008 00:24:42 »
Yes Indeedy.. non smoking is good!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #6 on: 12/01/2008 00:25:58 »
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2008 14:41:05 »

I was wondering after looking at your link, how far down under the ground in the bay to they have to sink the pillars and how stable is the floor under the harbor. Wouldn't it be shifting a lot due to all the water..Just how stable is that? How far down do they have to go before reaching a pretty solid area for the footings to be secure.. do you know, or did I miss that part?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #8 on: 12/01/2008 16:56:10 »
Good question Karen....you know what ?..I can't remember......

I saw the program too and they went into a fair bit of detail about safe it was when it comes to natural catastrophes...ie: earthquakes, Tsunamis etc etc.....the fact is...the sheer weight is helpful.....plus...the size of the thing also protects the mainland as it would help to dissipate Tsunamis too.

It would be a car-less city....with high speed walkways and tram/trains and escalators and lifts moving from one hub to another horizontally, vertically and diagonally !!

Fact is the structure is phenomenally strong...not just from the  materials used but also the shape itself.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Pyramid City
« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2008 17:00:26 »
It looks amazing and the link answered my questions about earthquake safety etc.. but then i wondered about how far down they would have to go below the harbor floor.. I think I must have missed it.. You would think when they were detailing the foundation they must have said, I will check back and see.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Pyramid City
« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2008 17:00:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums