The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Blood pressure caused by rib problems?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Mark l D

• View Profile
Blood pressure caused by rib problems?
« on: 12/01/2008 15:50:06 »
Hi all, does anyone know if there is any record of a link between back problems in the thoracic and blood pressure?

I can definitely see a drop in BP from 10 points to 20 both systolic and diastolic when a certain vertebrae (don't ask me which as several of them move) goes into place.
In fact - the entire rib cage has to  twist ...

I am actually changing my posture - which is difficult, slow, and the body goes back to the old posture each night ... but I will get there. 
The change in posture, and the change in the vertebra's is minuscule, not "chiropractic click" but relaxation accompanied burning sensations ...

One other symptom - the moment I get to the right posture, I am struck with a coughing fit and cough up mucus from the lungs - for a few seconds to a minute.

Don't know if this helps ... but I cannot find any reason for the dramatic, recorded and consistent pattern of the drop in BP.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2008 00:28:54 »
actually, I have had back problems after getting diagnoised with high blood pressure. The probs didn't start until I started getting pills to lower my pressure. I also had coughing fits somewhere along the way.

The one good thing about the BP pills is that I have never had a hangover since starting them and my hair is growing back in.

Offline Mark l D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/01/2008 02:04:41 »
I am sad you mirror my condition - but my curiosity is WHY this link?

I cannot for the life of me, think of any mechanism which relates between the back and the BP.

I thought there might be a link between breathing and BP - I am sure one exists. But I could find no immediate evidence.

I increased my breathing in three ways.
1) lifted my rib cage off the stomach and thus restoring myself from a herniated diaphragm here my stomach was pushed into said diaphragm.
2) I relaxed the muscles in the frame of the rib cage - so when I breathe, I am not fighting my body to take a breath.
3) I changed the shoulders. When you take deep breaths, you lift your shoulders back. I was fighting the body there also.

There was no discernable effect on BP. Being able to breathe easier is wonderful ...

Actually - I wonder if this IS the cause. perhaps I am triggering the lungs in some way after so many years of abuse, and I cough up the mucus from the lungs - and the heart immediately becomes free.

I have no way I can test this hypothesis - as I can only take my BP, move myself until I find the "right spot," take my BP again and see the outcome.

Damn ... this  might be very important.

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2008 19:00:11 »
Pulmonary hypertension can be caused by lung problems, but this is different from the measured blood pressure in the arms.  Not sure if there may be conditions that link the two.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2008 09:14:09 »
I can!

Postural changes are definately linked to blood pressure changes.

My own research is in Inclined Bed Therapy, which I might add is very useful for your own health problems and costs nothing.

Flip through the pages of Karens thread to see how tilting the bed to a five degree incline can help to resolve high blood pressure. Oddly enough the same procedure helps to resolve low blood pressure.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=7069.150

If you decide to test this, please come back and keep us posted on your progress

Google either "andrew K Fletcher or "inclined bed therapy"
« Last Edit: 15/01/2008 09:20:53 by Andrew K Fletcher »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2008 09:14:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length