The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Beautiful roses, blood noses...  (Read 1885 times)

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Beautiful roses, blood noses...
« on: 13/01/2008 04:46:09 »
Can anyone help explain why flowers, along with strong floral fragrances and soaps, cause my nose to bleed profusely?

I've had it for as long as I can remember, although I may be a little less sensitive now than I was when I was younger. Either that, or I've just learnt to avoid flowers better with time. I don't get any of the symptoms (runny/stuffy nose, sneezing, itchy nose/eyes/throat, watery eyes etc.) commonly associated with hay fever.

Sometimes I react immediately, sometimes it takes a bit longer. Roses and lavender are particularly guilty, daisies much less so.

Any thoughts?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2008 05:27:34 »
Noses that bleed easily are usually the result of either very thin membranes inside the nose or the blood vessels are close to the surface, sometimes it's  a little from column A a little from column b :)

Why this would happen when you breath in scents? Hmm does it happen with other strong scents? like chilly, or pepper?

Could be that you breath in deeply causing some rupture to a thin membrane.. or that with flowers in particular, you inhale some particle from the flower (pollen maybe) and these cause tears to the inside of the nose.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2008 05:27:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums