The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Laptop woes, part two.  (Read 5040 times)

paul.fr

Laptop woes, part two.
« on: 15/01/2008 16:20:17 »
As you may remember my old laptop crashed and somehow deleted the harddrive, my recovery discs have errors on them and will not recover the laptop.
I purchased another copy of windows xp pro and that installed just fine, well with one little problem, it would seem that i have no 'sound device'. I have downloaded and installed drivers from laptop manufacturer but still no luck...anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: 15/01/2008 16:31:50 by paul.fr »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2008 04:15:26 »
Send it to me. I will get it working then refuse to send it back.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2008 18:19:13 »
Clear the CMOS - not the BIOS - and do it one more time. It isn't recognizing the sound device. I would also get the latest BIOS flash, back up the old BIOS and flash the new one in. Perhaps between the two there will somehow be a sound device to install.

Offline Disruptor

• First timers
    • View Profile
Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #3 on: 09/02/2008 01:50:57 »
You shouldn't have to reset the bios if the sound card was working before, and if there was a loss of bios settings it would reset to the default values anyway. What happened when you tried to install the sound card drivers? did you get an error? Sometimes a device is installs as an "unknown device" in windows.
Did you check the device manager for any unknown devices? if you find any you should right click on them and uninstall them. Then in device manager right click "my computer" and select "scan for hardware changes" this will re-detect your hardware, have it automatically search for a driver, and hopefully if you installed the proper drivers it will load them for you.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2008 01:54:27 by Disruptor »

another_someone

Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2008 02:15:26 »
Have you checked your audio settings (in the control panel) to see what devices it is set to (or am I teaching my grandmother to suck eggs)?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2008 08:15:59 »
Have you checked your audio settings (in the control panel) to see what devices it is set to (or am I teaching my grandmother to suck eggs)?

I was going to suggest checking that the device is set to enabled

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2008 13:59:18 »
Also there maybe a tickbox in the properties that turns off and on digital if you find it try removing or adding the tick.

Also to the right of the taskbar click on the little speaker icon and enable all the devices under advanced controls and check that none are muted. There are many possibilities, if your near south london anytime in the near future pop in and i will have a look.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2008 14:40:06 by ukmicky »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Laptop woes, part two.
« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2008 13:59:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums