The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does ' Best Before' Means It Lasts Forever ?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Does ' Best Before' Means It Lasts Forever ?
« on: 19/01/2008 17:00:33 »
Dearest Food Manufacturing And Safe To eat By Experts ,

Here in the UK we usually have one of two date orientated notices displayed on the packaging of food.

One is ' USE BY ' meaning.....use by that date or take a risk cos after that date the food is probably not fit for human consumption...

...and the other which is ' BEST BEFORE ' ....which I interpret as the product is still safe to eat after that date but won't be at it's best !!

Does this mean then that ' BEST BEFORE ' food products can be used indefinitely ?...I have never seen a USE BY date along with a ' BEST BEFORE ' on  the same product !!

whajafink ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2008 17:20:40 »
I interpret them the same as you and that is a great question and also brings to mind if that is the case, what the heck are we really eating that it will last that long?.. Good Question Neily!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2008 17:32:58 »

Here in the UK we usually have one of two date orientated notices displayed on the packaging of food.

One is ' USE BY ' meaning.....use by that date or take a risk cos after that date the food is probably not fit for human consumption...

...and the other which is ' BEST BEFORE ' ....which I interpret as the product is still safe to eat after that date but won't be at it's best !!

Does this mean then that ' BEST BEFORE ' food products can be used indefinitely ?...I have never seen a USE BY date along with a ' BEST BEFORE ' on  the same product !!

whajafink ?

In Italy that difference of denomination is substantially due to a difference on legal actions which the seller can be subdue: "use by" means a worse situation for the seller than "best before" when the date is expired. This because the risk of a bad consequence for health is higher (greater probability of an illness) and worse (as consequences of it) in the first case with respect to the second. Of course that's not mathematics: you don't know if you will take an illness and which one and with which consequences, this depends on thousands of factors impossible to evaluate for a single person, but valuable only approximately and in a statistical sense.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2008 17:39:25 by lightarrow »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2008 17:47:27 »
Although a product may have a "use by" label on it it does not mean the product is unfit for consumption after this date. Its a guide mainly for fresh produce and helps as far as food safety is concerned but the down side is it creates LOTS of wasted food. Edible food now gets dumped because the "use by" date has expired.

For instance: You can normally tell when cheese is "off" cos it goes green but as far as the store is concerned it gets dumped after its sell by date although it may remain edible for weeks after.

"Best before" again is for guidance on products that will still be fit for consumption after that date but the flavour or colour may have spoilt. This is mainly for canned and bottled foodstuffs drinks etc.

BTW. In the UK these notices are for guidance only and not statutory.

Its also not illegal to sell products that have an expired date, what is illegal is to sell products that are "unfit for human consumption"

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2008 18:28:18 »

whajafink ?

In Italy that difference of denomination is substantially due to a difference on legal actions which the seller can be subdue: "use by" means a worse situation for the seller than "best before" when the date is expired. This because the risk of a bad consequence for health is higher (greater probability of an illness) and worse (as consequences of it) in the first case with respect to the second. Of course that's not mathematics: you don't know if you will take an illness and which one and with which consequences, this depends on thousands of factors impossible to evaluate for a single person, but valuable only approximately and in a statistical sense.

THANK YOU ALBERTO for this insightful response.....

Very interesting the legality of the situation.

Presumably there have been some court cases ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2008 18:31:21 »
Although a product may have a "use by" label on it it does not mean the product is unfit for consumption after this date. Its a guide mainly for fresh produce and helps as far as food safety is concerned but the down side is it creates LOTS of wasted food. Edible food now gets dumped because the "use by" date has expired.

For instance: You can normally tell when cheese is "off" cos it goes green but as far as the store is concerned it gets dumped after its sell by date although it may remain edible for weeks after.

"Best before" again is for guidance on products that will still be fit for consumption after that date but the flavour or colour may have spoilt. This is mainly for canned and bottled foodstuffs drinks etc.

BTW. In the UK these notices are for guidance only and not statutory.

Its also not illegal to sell products that have an expired date, what is illegal is to sell products that are "unfit for human consumption"

Thank You That Mad Man,

I did not now that they are not statutory over here....and I of course did forget the 'Sell By Date' too !

Yes, we have readily eaten food that has gone by the use by date...and it has been fine...
..on a couple of occasions I have actually rung the manufacturer to find out if it is in fact safe.

Offline opus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2008 21:32:21 »
Yes, I was just about to say what about sell by dates? Does that mean you should use it within one or two days of that date, or should it be fine for longer? It's not easy is it......?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2008 21:37:55 »
Neil, Sell by Dates are mainly to cover the manufacturers also the shops,
supermarkets where you've bought your food from, I have let food stay in
my fridge and not eaten it for 2 days past the Sell by Date, I am still here
LOL

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2008 22:35:00 »
Haha interesting Neil!

The only thing that wouldn't go bad would have to be twinnies lol

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2008 22:35:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums