The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Time !....there's plenty of it !....was it there just before the Biggy Bangy ?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Owners Of Stop Watches !

It's often cited that "Time" was created at the same time [sic] as the Biggy Bangy.

I was just pondering that instead of being created at the same time that "Time" had to be formed first as a medium to facilitate the Big Bang to happen in the first place ?

whajafink ?

Oh....here's my piccy of the Biggy Bangy...!!

Take my word for it...I was there...!!

That was a hot day indeedy !!!

« Last Edit: 19/01/2008 22:48:20 by neilep »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
There is an interesting article on time in this week's new scientist
19th Jan 2008 pages  26 - 29

This suggests that time may be a bit like temperature,  a property of material in bulk and not part of quantum mechanics.

The quantum mechanics have found a way round time by building the measuring equipment into the quantum situation so you don't need clocks any more.  you don't visualise the measuring device a collapsing the wavefunction any more you only ask the question what is the probability if finding the measuring device in a particular state so the whole quantum wavefunction includes the device. 

Effectively what was time has been turned into a series of correlations of things observed in space or an order of several in space events if you want to deal with time.

This sounds a much more sensible idea to me.  I have never been happy about the detachment of the "observer" from the experiment it just isn't true.

« Last Edit: 20/01/2008 00:05:23 by Soul Surfer »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile

The quantum mechanics have found a way round time by building the measuring equipment into the quantum situation so you don't need clocks any more.  you don't visualise the measuring device a collapsing the wavefunction any more you only ask the question what is the probability if finding the measuring device in a particular state so the whole quantum wavefunction includes the device. 

Does that mean that if the parallel universes theories are correct, that in some universes those devices may measure time differently and have implications for radioactive decay?

Also, I believe that the larger an object, the more certain its state and the less important its wave function. Wouldn't the wave function of something as large as a measuring device be largely irrelevant and therefore have a practically zero effect on the overall wave function?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
No and no

firstly the ideas have nothing to do with the many worlds theories of quantum mechanics

Secondly in any quantum mechanical "measurement",  the actual measurement itself takes place at the quantum scale the fact that there is a load of other material holding a couple of atoms (or subatomic particles) at specific locations is largely irrelevant it is only the wavefunctions of the originating and receiving atoms that are important

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums