The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A Question (or two) about Vitamin D  (Read 3568 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
A Question (or two) about Vitamin D
« on: 20/01/2008 21:32:23 »
Dearest Vitaminologosts,

Take a look at Veronica Manytits and Hyacinth Nipsaplenty !

They are ......well chilled !! .....enjoying the sun and lazing away....life is good !

But if they were to live in the North or South Pole would they be able to enjoy Vitamin D goodness when the sun goes down for months at a time.

You see...I didn't realise that Sunlight is the best way to enjoy vitamin D...and so...in addition to Veronica and Hyacinth.............say you and I were enjoying an Arctic or Antarctic Winter.....would we be able to supply what our body needs in it's demand for Vitamin D in such an efficient way as direct sunlight ?

Also, Why does sitting behind a window negate the manufacture of Vitamin D ?

Veni Vitiman Vici !!
« Last Edit: 20/01/2008 22:39:29 by neilep »

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2008 22:37:57 »
An Arctic/Antarctic midwinter day has no sunlight at all, so no vit. D.

Even in temperate regions, like the UK, it may be enough for us paleskins, but people of a darker complexion who are more used to equatorial sun, can very easily suffer from vitamin D deficiency (it is assumed to be one of the reasons we paleskins did get our pale skins).

A thread on window glass and UV radiation (i..e. vitamin D production) is at http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=11871.msg144420#msg144420

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2008 22:43:16 »
Thank You Very Much GEORGE...and thanks also for the excellent link !...I missed that thread completely !

Having asked my original question.....is Vitamin D an essential vitamin for all animals ?

Offline opus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2008 23:38:11 »
That is a decidedly disturbing picture neilep-!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2008 23:40:19 »
That is a decidedly disturbing picture neilep-!

Just be thankful it's not a picture of me !! ;)

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2008 00:25:30 »
Having asked my original question.....is Vitamin D an essential vitamin for all animals ?

I suspect (though maybe someone might correct me) that would be needed by all mammals (although they may obtain it through different means).  Whether it is needed by all animals, including invertebrates, I have no idea.

Actually, I think that other thread I pointed you to did mention vitamin D being required by reptiles, so that would imply birds probably would also need vitamin D.

Still no idea about invertebrates.
« Last Edit: 21/01/2008 00:27:58 by another_someone »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2008 20:17:25 »
A spot of google searching indicates that dogs and cats can get rickets (Vitmain D defficiency).
Since a major part of the role of vitamin D is regulation of calcium in the bones I guess it's less of an issue for boneless creatures.

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2008 20:50:46 »
A spot of google searching indicates that dogs and cats can get rickets (Vitmain D defficiency).
Since a major part of the role of vitamin D is regulation of calcium in the bones I guess it's less of an issue for boneless creatures.

I believe it may also have a part in the management of calcium in other cells, in particular neurons - so it may have an issue with anything that has a nervous system as well as bones.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2008 20:50:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums