The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ear damage with earphones?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline InfraDead

• View Profile
Ear damage with earphones?
« on: 22/01/2008 07:45:59 »
Hi, I was thinking about this the other day. I have earphones in quite a lot, in total about 2 hours per day, but I'm usually listening to podcasts, such as the naked scientist. Would that be as damaging as music? Is about 2 hours per day a safe amount of time to have earphones in?

Thanks, Infra

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2008 09:59:29 »
The critical thing is how loud you have them turned up! properly designed earphones should not be able to be turned up dangerously loud.  One way of checking is, if you can't hear someone standing next to you talking in a normal voice over what you are listening to, you are running the risk of having them turned up too loud.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2008 12:13:46 »
Ohh man. Why'd you have to bring this up? All the scienctist will be saying I'm going to be deff in a few years. I sit at the computer, when no ones home of course, with the speakers all the way up, sub all the way up WMP volume all the way up, and the computers interal settings all the way up. And the speakers are less then 2 feet away from me. I tested it. You close all the windows and doors and walk to the mailbox, which is purdyyy far away you can still easly make out the lyrics and other songs info. Haha. Don't help that I do that probably 2 times a week.

Then I just got the card for my MP3 Phone. So I'll have them turned all the way up in my hear for hours and days on end. Haha.

But I guess thanks so I know where to have them set and when to stop and all the good stuff :)

Offline InfraDead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2008 16:50:28 »
The critical thing is how loud you have them turned up! properly designed earphones should not be able to be turned up dangerously loud.  One way of checking is, if you can't hear someone standing next to you talking in a normal voice over what you are listening to, you are running the risk of having them turned up too loud.

I usually don't have them to loud, about medium to low and I can hear people around me most of the tim. So I guess I'm ok, thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2008 16:50:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums