The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does Anaesthetic work, and other questions.  (Read 3654 times)

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
How does Anaesthetic work, and other questions.
« on: 23/01/2008 18:46:01 »
what does anaesthetic do to make me not feel pain?

can i get anaesthetic in tablet form?

when i am under a general anaesthetic, does it just make me sleep, hence i cant feel the pain?
« Last Edit: 23/01/2008 20:02:17 by paul.fr »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2009 06:40:18 »
Local anesthesia is used in a limited area of a personís body to prevent pain during examinations, diagnostic procedures, treatments, and surgical operations. Basically: at the site of the injury, the body produces prostaglandins which increases pain sensitivity. Local anesthetics intercept pain signals travelling up the nerve.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2009 06:42:09 »
Analgesia refers to loss of pain sensation without loss of sensitivity to touch. The two main types of analgesics are nonopioids and opioids. Nonopioid analgesics are useful for treating mild or moderate pain, such as headache or toothache. Because NSAIDs are anti-inflammatory, they are effective for treating such inflammatory conditions as arthritis. Moderate pain also can be treated by combining a mild opioid, such as codeine, with aspirin. Opioids are the most potent painkillers and are used for severe pain, such as that occurring after major chest or abdominal surgery.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2009 06:42:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums