The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who invented the RAM?  (Read 12027 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Who invented the RAM?
« on: 24/01/2008 01:57:40 »
Random Access Memory

Who invented it?

another_someone

Who invented the RAM?
« Reply #1 on: 24/01/2008 02:53:29 »
What do you mean by RAM?  Do you mean solid state integrated circuit chips containing RAM, or do you mean any form of rewritable memory that a computer could use to store data.

Before IC's (the chips you see on that card); memories were implemented in discrete transistor circuits; and before that in magnetic core memory (these were millions of little ferrite loops, with wires running through them that could magnetise the loops, or could read the magnetic polarity of the loop); and before that there were a myriad of different technologies from valves, to mercury tubes, to various delay devices.

A computer cannot be anything but a fancy calculating machine until you have some memory, so from the design of the first general purpose programmable computer there had to be some form of memory involved (even Charles Babbage's differential engine, although it was never constructed in his lifetime, I assume would have had some idea of writeable memory in the design).

In terms of integrated circuit memory, memory (in the form of RAM) was some of the first medium or large scale integrated circuits that were developed (there were smaller scale integrated circuits that were simply logic gates, and although the did include latches, which could be considered memory of a sort, but they were not on a large enough scale to be used on a large scale).  RAM is relatively easy to fabricate because it is just the same design copied over and over on the same chip (unlike a microprocessor that needs lots of different bits of circuit doing different things).  Since the design of the circuit in an IC is in principle (at least for the earliest integrated circuits) little more than building into a single chip that which was previously built using discrete transistor circuits, so as soon as companies such as Intel, Fairchild, Texas Instrument, Motorola, etc., understood how to make sufficiently complex single chip integrated circuits, it was fairly straight forward to build a RAM chip.

Ofcourse, the specific memory you are showing there is a DDR DIM (not sure if it is DDR or DDR2 or DDR3).  This is designed for Intel/AMD processors running in PCs, so the standards for these things tend to be designed by Intel or AMD, and the memory producers just follow suite.  As I recollect (but me memory may be faulty), when the first standard of DDR came out, there was a tassle between the DDR design by AMD and the RAMBUS standard by Intel, but in the end Intel lost.
« Last Edit: 24/01/2008 03:02:54 by another_someone »

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
Who invented the RAM?
« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2008 11:26:38 »
Flash memory (both NOR and NAND types) was invented by Dr. Fujio Masuoka while working for Toshiba in 1984.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Who invented the RAM?
« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2008 21:33:34 »
Yes the one that I showed was the one I was wondering about.

Thanks for all the infromation George!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Who invented the RAM?
« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2008 21:33:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums