The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is Dry Ice Blasting ?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline maria143

• First timers
    • View Profile
What is Dry Ice Blasting ?
« on: 24/01/2008 11:01:48 »
History fascinates me. I love reading historical books and watching movies with a historic touch. I really admire the archaeologists who spend days and nights in preserving history. Itís such a challenging job to bring historical remains back to their original state. It at times pains me to see how magnificent structures get ruined over the centuries.

Once while browsing the net, I came across something called dry ice blasting and how it is used to clean historical structures. I have no idea whatsoever on this thing. I am a little curious to know about this.

Maria
 :) :) :)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/01/2008 12:11:17 »
History fascinates me. I love reading historical books and watching movies with a historic touch. I really admire the archaeologists who spend days and nights in preserving history. Itís such a challenging job to bring historical remains back to their original state. It at times pains me to see how magnificent structures get ruined over the centuries.

Once while browsing the net, I came across something called dry ice blasting and how it is used to clean historical structures. I have no idea whatsoever on this thing. I am a little curious to know about this.

Maria
 :) :) :)

Hello Maria!
There has recently been a thread on this subject:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=12211.0
Also, you can have a look on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice_blasting
« Last Edit: 24/01/2008 12:15:28 by lightarrow »

Offline ZTucker

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2010 04:48:58 »
maria143,

Interesting enough, there is a process called dry ice dusting.  This is just like dry ice blasting, but it uses smaller dry ice and a much slower compressed air speed.  This causes the dry ice to be very gentle when cleaning the historical books.

FYI.  The basics of dry ice blasting is... Dry ice pellets are shot out of a hose at high speed using compressed air.  As they hit the surface, the blast the "stuff" off of the surface.  The dry ice sublimates immediately in to CO2 gas.  It is a very amazing process.

Not to promote my website, ...: [removed: but you are at every opportunity, that constitutes spam in our book - Mod
NB. This thread is inactive for 3 years]
« Last Edit: 13/01/2011 12:15:29 by peppercorn »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2010 04:48:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums