The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why oh why?!  (Read 8090 times)

another_someone

Why oh why?!
« Reply #25 on: 28/01/2008 15:22:06 »
If it is often quoted, then many people must notice the same thing.

Indeed so, but that has not been enough to cause people to change, so one has to ask why, despite all these people complaining about the way things are, so few feel comfortable with the alternatives.

Your option one works, you can carry the baby on your chest. Maintaining eye contact and interacting. This is what i did.

Not having experienced this first hand, I cannot comment on this first hand, but I wonder if this is an option that is easier for a flat chested man than a large chested woman (maybe some large chested woman might wish to comment on this).

Also, even a lone pedestrian can have trouble seeing oncoming traffic when crossing between parked cars, this has to be worse when you push a pram out first. What is wrong with the mother (or father) pulling the pushchair/pram then once past the parked cars, spinning it around and leading then and only then with the pram?

It's not too difficult, is it?

Don't know - since I have never tried pulling (or even pushing) a pram - but I am aware that most prams were not designed for ease of pulling.  As I said before, the design of prams is geared towards the person pushing/pulling the pram facing in towards the pram, so usually when a mother pulls a pram, it is for a short distance, and she is usually walking backwards, so still facing into the pram.  Clearly, walking backwards out into traffic is not a good idea, so the question is whether, or how easy, is it to pull a conventional pram behind your back?

Then the problem is, if the pram is pulled behind the back, you probably do not want to reverse the position while out in the middle of the road, with the constant risk of traffic appearing.  You want to cross the road as quickly as possible, in order to minimise your exposure to traffic, but this would mean pulling the pram all the way across the road, rather than undertaking turnaround manoeuvres in the middle of the road.  Ofcourse, the problem that then arises, if you pull the pram all the way across the road, is that while the pram may be following you rather than leading you into the road, so reducing the risk to the pram upon entry into the road, those same risks become reversed as to exit the road on the other side.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Why oh why?!
« Reply #26 on: 29/01/2008 08:23:54 »
Ah, in that case then it would have to be called seX factor, surely?

Similarly, in Iran they're running a talent contest for wanna-be suicide bombers - semteX Factor.

Chris

Lets not forget that Simon Cowell did not invent the format. This was first tried in  Massachusetts 1692, where it was known as the heX Factor.

This is an oft quoted gripe, but what are the real alternatives.

One option (that some people do) is carry the child on their back.  There are advantages to this, although it of course carries risks if the person should fall, and further it prevents the mother and child from making eye contact, or from the mother from easily interacting with her child in any way.

If it is often quoted, then many people must notice the same thing.
Your option one works, you can carry the baby on your chest. Maintaining eye contact and interacting. This is what i did.

Also, even a lone pedestrian can have trouble seeing oncoming traffic when crossing between parked cars, this has to be worse when you push a pram out first. What is wrong with the mother (or father) pulling the pushchair/pram then once past the parked cars, spinning it around and leading then and only then with the pram?

It's not too difficult, is it?

If all else fails they could always try using a pedestrian crossing.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why oh why?!
« Reply #26 on: 29/01/2008 08:23:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums