The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you introduce us to a Very Basic science terms in laymans language Please?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ok I thought this would be fun for those of us who know little bout science or want to understand better basic terms and words?

Example would be for you to place  a word you want to know more about and its basic meaning? If you don't know Perhaps a person who frequents the upper board might teach us some things with some simple basic explanations..

I may want to know what a proton or a nucleus or an atom is?
« Last Edit: 30/01/2008 14:29:11 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What is an atom?
http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/Propulsion/1-what-is-an-atom.html

An atom a fundamental piece of matter. (Matter is anything that can be touched physically.) Everything in the universe (except energy) is made of matter, and, so, everything in the universe is made of atoms.

An atom itself is made up of three tiny kinds of particles called subatomic particles: protons, neutrons, and electrons. The protons and the neutrons make up the center of the atom called the nucleus and the electrons fly around above the nucleus in a small cloud. The electrons carry a negative charge and the protons carry a positive charge. In a normal (neutral) atom the number of protons and the number of electrons are equal. Often, but not always, the number of neutrons is the same, too.

The negative electrons are attracted to the positive nucleus by the same electrical force which causes magnets to work. That's what keeps the atom together.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&hs=Nrn&defl=en&q=define:atom&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
Definitions of atom on the Web:

* (physics and chemistry) the smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element
    * (nontechnical usage) a tiny piece of anything
« Last Edit: 30/01/2008 08:46:36 by Karen W. »

Offline Vcoolspice

• Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
    • View Profile
What science terminology do you want on this thread??

Try this:

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/reeko/Glossary.htm

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Just that any term or scientific item you would like to know about or already do. Your link is great Thanks!

As for me.. I know everything is made of atoms etc.. but what are they really.. protons etc.. like that refresher 101 or science for dummies like me!!! LOL..

Just trying to get basic science knowledge embedded into my head so I can learn more and understand why A and B combined cause the reaction of c..etc.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
An atom a fundamental piece of matter. (Matter is anything that can be touched physically.) Everything in the universe (except energy) is made of matter, and, so, everything in the universe is made of atoms.

Atom's are not fundamental as they are made of particles. Electrons are believed to be fundamental as they cannot be broken down into smaller bits. Neutrons and protons, however, are made from quarks and hence are not themselves fundamental. Quarks are thought not to be divisible so they, like electrons, are fundamental. A photon is another example of a fundamental particle.

Then there are gluons, the particles that mediate the colour force between quarks (check Quantun Chromodynamics - QCD - to learn more about the colour force).

Not everything in the universe is made of matter. What about anti-matter? And not everything in the universe is made of atoms. There are many free particles that are not a part of atoms.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks doc!  This is precisely why I made this thread! LOL See my information came straight from that. Direct quotes.. So Thanks for corrections and How can someone like me, with little if any science knowledge make sure that what I find from universities etc.. is correct?  I am understanding that that information was not accurate , Yes?

Does fundamental mean that if it can't be broken down,that it is not fundamental?

From "New World Dictionary Of The American Language" second college addition!

As I understand fundamental= of or forming a foundation or basis or basic or essential rules of Art.

Physics, designating or of fundamental- n. 1. a principal,theory,law,etc. serving as a basis: essential

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
In particle physics, fundamental means that it can NOT be broken down into constituent parts.

University sites are, in general, reliable. There may be differences of opinion or interpretation between them, but the facts are nearly always accurate. For instance, there may be differences in how the effects of quantum physics are interpreted, but that those effects occur would be reported accurately on all uni sites (making allowances for typo errors, of course).

As for the accuracy of information on other sites, I tend toward the sceptical. I look for verification elsewhere, or in books, before I accept anything as fact.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Doc.. Thanks for posting! Care to leave a new word and definition or tell us something we might need to know as a beginner scientist! LOL

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How would you describe a molecule of Bacteria?

Also the molecules that makes up the chromosomes of stuff that makes all
who we are: D N A?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Thanks Doc.. Thanks for posting! Care to leave a new word and definition or tell us something we might need to know as a beginner scientist! LOL

I'm not a scientist. I'm just a dumb rodent.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile

Wiggly!  :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

You are not dumb.. and I have learned a great deal from you.. so thank you very much..

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile

You are not dumb.. and I have learned a great deal from you.. so thank you very much..

[:I]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

another_someone

Also the molecules that makes up the chromosomes of stuff that makes all
who we are: D N A?

Bacteria have many, many, molecules.

A bacteria is a living cell, just like the cell in your body; so just like a cell in your body, it has millions of different molecules all doing different functions that help the cell do what it needs to do to live.

Each chromosome is, as far as I know, simply a single DNA molecule.  The DNA molecule is a very complex molecule, which is where it gets its power from, but it is just a molecule.

Bacterial DNA is somewhat different from animal/plant DNA, in that it is a single circular DNA molecule, whereas animals/plants are two straight lengths of DNA joined together (the fact that animals and plants have double strands of DNA is closely bound up with the fact that animals and plants reproduce sexually, whereas bacteria are incapable of sexual reproduction).

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums