The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's so special about Iron ?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What's so special about Iron ?
« on: 29/01/2008 21:08:16 »
Dear Wondrous Peeps Of Academia and More..
..I'm always in my element around you !!

see this Iron...

ooops !!.DOH !!..Not that Iron...but This IRON !!

Cool eh ?...a beautiful Iron meteorite !!

Now what's this I hear about IRON being so particularly special ?......that it's the most stable element ?...why does this make IRON so special ? ???

Y'see..I asked Neda (our Bulgarian maid as she was Ironing this morning )but all she did was smile and tell me the iron is working good !!...I sent her packing !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/01/2008 21:16:54 »
Physically it enriches our blood and helps with our energy.. low iron in the blood is anemia and can cause you too be extremely tired and lacking in energy and cause large dark circles under your eyes.. It helps us be stronger I think... But as far as how.. I am not sure...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/01/2008 21:23:55 »
Physically it enriches our blood and helps with our energy.. low iron in the blood is anemia and can cause you too be extremely tired and lacking in energy and cause large dark circles under your eyes.. It helps us be stronger I think... But as far as how.. I am not sure...

yes..yes...I understand that as grown up we have enough Iron in our bodies to make a good sized nail.....which is nice !!

...but I was thinking about the special nature of Iron in relation to all the other elements........though your answer is most certainly true and deserves merit Karen Mam...thank you.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2008 21:29:39 »
LOL.. Thanks ..Hee hee..I can't help you with that side as I know little...But Your welcome and sorry it was not what you were looking for...LOL!

Iron is certainly strong though!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2008 03:17:26 »
I believe the the meteorite partially answers your question. It is concentrated in minerals and as  elemental iron in the core of planets. This makes it special as the planet's magnetic field is probably closely related to this iron. this has broad ranging implications for all sorts of things.

It is also a key or primary part of the Industrial Revolution - for better or worse.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2008 03:13:21 by JimBob »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2008 14:52:03 »
I believe the the meteorite partially answers your question. It is concentrated in minerals and as  elemental iron in the core of planets. This makes it special as the planet's magnetic field is probably closely related to this iron. this has broad ranging implications or all sorts of things.

It is also a key or primary part of the Industrial Revolution - for better or worse.

Again, I must bow down in reverence and flagellate myself as this answer overwhelms me to such a degree that I must also speak in tongues...blurhdgdjksk..nnngghhh !

...In addition though...isn't there something special about it's atomic structure ?...I can't quite remember it....something like it being the most stable of elements for some reason...others are too dense...others are unstable.......??

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/01/2008 16:04:31 »
The iron limit:
The buildup of heavier elements in the nuclear fusion processes in stars is limited to elements below iron, since the fusion of iron would subtract energy rather than provide it. Iron-56 is abundant in stellar processes, and with a binding energy per nucleon of 8.8 MeV, it is the third most tightly bound of the nuclides. Its average binding energy per nucleon is exceeded only by 58Fe and 62Ni, the nickel isotope being the most tightly bound of the nuclides.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html

Nickel is also more common in meteorites than terrestrial rocks ...
chondrites are rich in metal and the metal is rich in nickel, all chondrites have a bulk (whole rock) concentrations of Ni of 1.0-1.8% (i.e., 10000-18000 ppm). That's 100-1000 times greater than practically any terrestrial (Earth) rock.
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/metal.htm
« Last Edit: 30/01/2008 16:16:54 by RD »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2008 17:59:17 »
Iron is the heaviest element that can be synthesised inside stars by normal fusion. Elements heavier than iron take more energy to synthesise than you get out of the fusion process.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2008 17:59:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums