The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Which state has the most diverse weather?  (Read 37399 times)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Which state has the most diverse weather?
« Reply #25 on: 10/04/2009 17:51:14 »
Re " I've seen humidity at 100% and tempertures above 100 degrees at the same time. In fact, it stays this way thru most of our summer."
Wouldn't that be lethal?

Ethos

« Reply #26 on: 10/04/2009 19:06:22 »
Re " I've seen humidity at 100% and tempertures above 100 degrees at the same time. In fact, it stays this way thru most of our summer."
Wouldn't that be lethal?
I did say "most of our summer", not all of it. And to be honest, if you've become acclimated to it, you will survive. The weather systems that develope over this region of the USA come in from the gulf of Mexico bringing with it all this humidity. And it's not unusual for the temp. to rise above 100 degrees F. I can remember several days in my youth where it rose to 114 and above. The hottest day I can personally remember was 117. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, the year that the Edmond Fitzgerald sank, it fell to 28 degrees below zero that winter.

If you catch me in a slight embellishment of these statements, I plead taking my example from our Vice President;......... Joe Biden.
« Last Edit: 10/04/2009 21:45:33 by Ethos »

Offline Yomi

• HERE IN AM TO TAKE AWAY THE NOBEL PRIZE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11/04/2009 12:57:43 »
Its India........ [8D] [8D]

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12/04/2009 04:36:28 »
No you're wrong.

It's NZ. Since when did you start getting sun, rain, thunderstorms, hail, +130 kmh winds all in the space of 12 hours? :)

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #29 on: 15/04/2009 12:56:41 »
No it's andaman and nicobar

Offline Joe.w

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Which state has the most diverse weather?
« Reply #30 on: 17/11/2014 22:07:49 »
This all depends on the question, is it all the different types of weather you would experience if you stayed in one spot, or can you just look at all the weather in the whole state?

If it's that you stay in one spot I nominate Illinois.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17/11/2014 22:57:51 »
Hmmm in Oregon you can go from desert to alpine glaciers to inland lush valley to ocean shore within a three hour drive.  It's a busy place!
I'm also partial to the Northwest. 
Hot & dry in the summer.
Wet in the winter, with the occasional snow flurry.
We have mountains, valleys, forests, and desert. 
Oregon also has one of the few year-around ski resorts.
The coast also has its own micro-climate.

One of the states I haven't seen mentioned is ALASKA.
It certainly would have one of the greatest polarities between a vibrant summer, and a bitterly cold winter.
Perhaps not necessarily "weather" per-say, but Alaska has also had the largest Tsunami ever recorded on Earth, and has had the second largest recorded Earthquake in the world.

Offline ajk451

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27/08/2015 15:07:04 »
Well, since this is a very ambiguously worded question, there are really a wealth of criteria that people could use to indicate "weather diversity".  Depending on what you used as indicators, you could probably make a case for any state.  However, I feel the simplest to test would be the extremes of temperatures.  The states with the highest difference between the highest high and the lowest low would be the most "diverse" in this regard.  Surprisingly, none that people have been discussing here are even close to fitting that criteria.  In fact, Montana is the most diverse with a record high of 117 F and low of -70 F.  It is followed by a close second by Utah, who had a low of -69 and the same high.  This is due to a variety of factors, some being vast differences in elevation in different areas of the states, distance from large bodies of water, etc.  I can personally attest to the craziness of Montana's weather, as on one hike when I was younger during June, we experienced weather from sunny and 80 to rain to sleet to snow all in a couple of hours. 

So in any case, my vote is for Montana.  Here is a list of weather extremes and you can take a look at how far some of the previous examples are from having the highest diversity of temperatures.  newbielink:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state_temperature_extremes [nonactive]

Offline ajk451

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27/08/2015 15:16:14 »
I've seen humidity at 100% and tempertures above 100 degrees at the same time. In fact, it stays this way thru most of our summer. Not until around Sept. does the humidity begin to fall off.

I can guarantee that this is not only over-exaggeration, but physically impossible.  The highest dew point ever recorded was 95 degrees in 2003 in Saudi Arabia.  This means that at 95 degrees, the relative humidity would have been 100%, and it would have dropped off as temperatures increased.  On this day, if it was 100 degrees in Saudi Arabia, even they wouldn't have had 100% humidity. 

And I currently live in Houston.  I understand the hot and humid.  But the dew points during the hottest part of the summer end up around 80 or so, so the relative humidity at 100 degrees is probably in the 50 to 60% range MAX.  You can play with the calculator yourself.  newbielink:http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/Humidity.html [nonactive]

I love hyperbole as much as the next person, but when you are making up numbers and stats, it is a little more devious.

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27/09/2015 18:10:43 »
During the Summer?

During the Winter?

Would California? Cuz during the winter it snows, yet it rains a few miles away.
I've lived in Wyoming, Missouri, Texas and California, and from personal experience, I would be tempted to say Rock Springs, Wyoming probably had the most diverse weather in the shortest period of time. It's a high-altitude desert climate. I've seen it snow in June, then be nearly a hundred a couple of days later. I've also seen it go from sunshiny and nearly seventy degrees to watching a powerful snowstorm roll over White Mountain to engulf the whole town in a freezing blizzard in no more than a few minutes. In the early 80's, the temperature range on particularly harsh winter was from 40 below to a hundred degrees the next summer. When it's a hundred, it can drop to forty degrees at night. Rain is rare, but when it hits, the storms tend to be very powerful, and they wash everything away.

That being said, Texas has some ridiculously quick changes in weather, too. It can go from sunny and eighty degrees to putting down nearly a foot of rain per hour and fifty degrees with tornadoes in no more than a few minutes.

Texas probably has the most diverse weather overall simply because it is so large and encompasses so many different climate zones. The weather in Amarillo is completely different than the weather in Houston, for example.

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27/09/2015 23:22:06 »
Although not a state, the 100 square mile area around and including Mt Washington, in New Hampshire has extreme weather. I remember it being  85 degrees at the base of the 6288 foot Mt Washington during the summer, and within a 5 hour hike to the summit, it will be 32, snowing with 60 mph winds. The mountain makes it own clouds and weather. Mt Washington is situated along a ridge, where the winds get funneled into the world fastest recored winds at the summit; 232 mph.

It is cool summer climb. You start out with shorts and tee-shirts for the first half of the climb. At about 4000 feet, the trees start to get smaller and smaller until finally there only mutant 1 foot pines twisted by the wind, growing horizontal. Now you are above the timberline walking on rugged granite, in the clouds, with the wind howling. By the time you reach the top, you may need winter gear. All seasons in one day.

Winter hiking at Mt Washington is where you start in the winter, and end in northern Canada.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #35 on: 27/09/2015 23:22:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums