The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Usefulness of Glyconutrients  (Read 291892 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: Usefulness of Glyconutrients
« Reply #150 on: 12/01/2006 17:05:14 »
Cathy your reply to Duane was rather terse, and even a little childish. Always better to discredit the argument rather than risking ones own credibility by trying to discredit and attack the person you are trying to communicate with.

I suspect you may have got a little of those sugars too close to an exposed nerve in your mouth.

Duane does present a very good argument against shelling out a small fortune for a few spoons of sugar. And as he has no vested interest in earning money from myself and others, I find myself swayed in favour of his low budget approach and applaud his calm and crystal clear arguments.

Still waiting for some concrete evidence from your side of the fence.

Andrew

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Kittycat

« Reply #151 on: 12/01/2006 21:11:55 »
Hello everyone,

Dr. Reg McDaniel will be lecturing on the effect that glyconutrients have on our own stem cells. This is a lecture and very informative. All are welcomed.
I will email you if you would like more details.
K.C.

Dr. Reg McDaniel
Graduate, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Former Director of Pathology and Director of Medical Education
Dallas-Ft. Worth Medical Center.

Meet and Hear Dr. McDaniel in Person
During the first week of Feb.
North of San Francisco, CA

His grace is sufficient and His strength is made perfect in my weakness

Kittycat

« Reply #152 on: 13/01/2006 13:30:35 »
Hi Andrew,
I haven't been impressed with the way you have carried yourself here in this forum also.
I have expressed my honest opinion, and expressing my concerns. I am sorry if I left room to be misinterpreted.
Your comment: "Still waiting for some concrete evidence from your side of the fence".
Though I am not a scientist, doctor or have a degree in biology, I do educate myself. I will refer you to the top of this page to the link and information I provided. (This is one of the doctors that Duane attempted(?) to discredit)
If you are serious and not trying to cause a debate then email me and I will pass on the info that you ask for.
Please be specific with your questions and I will be specific with my answers.
KC

« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 18:38:12 by Kittycat »

Offline rdrosenkranz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 16/01/2006 06:22:30 »
Hi,
Have been doing some personal research on glyconutrients and am trying to get both the pro's and con's to the science of it and the marketing of it.  I just moved back to the US after leaving overseas for the last 14 years in developing countries, I am a health care professional and teacher.  My exposure in developing countries and their health care systems, natural and organic substances that they use medicinally with some amazing results have left a lasting impression toward more natural medicinal options than synthetic.  It is interesting to note that in developing countries, chronic auto immune issues/disorders (outside of HIV/AIDS)were minimal in comparison to 1st world countries (although they are starting to see great increases in chronic auto immune disorders).

All that being said, what I have learned from working in all these countries is that an individual's chemistry has a lot to do with what the body's ability to absorb the nutrients that it needs.  From looking at what you all have been discussing, the one thought I would like to share is that what we all need to keep in mind.  Every individual body that is in some sort of dysfunction is basically in chemical "warfare" within itself.  Different types of bodies need different things with respect to what it needs to regain balance and heal itself.  While it may be true that some of the science of glyconutrients has been "embellished"  by particular companies for the purposes of financial gain, the fact of the matter is that it has been helpful for some where conventional medicine was not. And although I personally do not agree with how the glyconutrients are packaged and sold. It appears that these companies got in such a hurry to get these to marketing that they did not put much thought into what was the best way for unhealthy bodies to receive  one of more of the glyconutrients.  These companies basically packaged them like multi-vitamins are, which are effective with healthy bodies. But not so with unhealthy ones.  There is alot we still do not know about the body and nutrition for that matter.  Try as we may, medicine is NOT an exact science when it comes to diagnosing chronic conditions.

The hardest part about all of this is that medicine, nutrient and nutritional supplements in the US are no longer an opportunity to heal people but have become instead opportunistic.

OK, all that being said, I would like to see some of the pioneering research that was done in finding glyconutrients and identifying what role they play in the body.  I have a feeling that although they are probably not that effective or needed in healthy bodies, I think that in dysfunctional bodies they may be of some help.  I would like to dialogue further.  
Thanks,
rdr

Offline surveydan77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 16/01/2006 17:36:02 »
Hey gang.  I just wanted to let all the skeptics know that, from the marketing side of it, mannatech has proven to be profitable for me.  My dad calls me up one day and tells me basically that "I need to get in."  He lets me know of the $1200 up front cost and assures me that if I don't make my money back within a month, he'll pay me back.  My dad has always had a knack for making money, so with 0 risk, and a chance at profit.... my only option was to say "yes."  Its been 4 months now, and I have since signed up my wife as well.  I have made a profit of $2000 thus far.  Not a ton, but still profit... and it can only increase from here.  On a side note, the glyconutrients seem to be working for my wife.  She has had beginning stages of arthritis in her wrists and other joints, and is reporting that all pain and stiffness is gone.  I have not noticed anything special other than a reduced appetite, although I never had any noticable pains before so who knows what's going on under the surface.  Could it all just be in her mind?  Of course... only time will tell if this is truly all its cracked up to be, but as for me... my skepticism is gone.  And don't worry if you're skeptical now, because we all are at some point.  I mean, come on... a miracle "sugar" that heals all ailments???  Just remember, everybody thought the Earth was flat until all of the sudden.... it wasn't!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 16/01/2006 19:47:49 »
The Earth is still flat, just depends on where your viewpoint is.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about this pyramid scheme. What's it like in a cup of tea?

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline surveydan77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 16/01/2006 21:08:34 »
Andrew, the earth is not flat... or maybe it is over in England.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 17/01/2006 07:45:28 »
Hey SD77,

If you enjoy the benefits your wife is getting, but really love those profits, use the money you are getting to combine your own glyconutrients (according to the recipe above, at about 1/4 of the cost of Ambrotose), and then you can pocket the rest of the money you were paying Mannatech.  (You can even use some of your old Ambrotose canisters).  Same results, same ingredients, same quality, and EVEN MORE MONEY FOR YOU!  But don't forget to keep selling everyone else on taking the Brand Name stuff so your profits will keep rolling in.  

Capitalism...you gotta love it.

Duane

Kittycat

« Reply #158 on: 17/01/2006 16:40:44 »
Hi Dan,

Welcome to this forum. I can see that our welcoming committee has greeted you already with arms opened wide.
Do you suppose it would be better not to be involved in this type of business and therefore put more money into the pockets of the pharmaceutical industry?
Or better yet, spending hours and hours on forum like these displaying your intellectual knowledge at other's expense.

I am glad to hear of your wife's progress and to see that you are seeing the financial benefit to the business side. In my case I am so wealthy that I just give my time and glyconutrients away for free! (Or not). Please keep us informed and yes, the welcoming committee always needs the last word. Do you think glyconutrients will help genetic conditions?

Take care, KC

Offline dsaitch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 19/01/2006 14:13:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by momof4

For what it's worth,I thought I would add my personal story to the list of arguments for and against glyconutrients.  I am very grateful that a friend introduced me to glyconutrients just 5 months ago.  For over 20 years I have suffered from chronic neck and lower back pain.  Two of my children have suffered from "full blown" asthma since early infancy.  My youngest child had severe eczema to the point of bleeding.  Winter months were a nightmare with bottles of oxygen lined up in my garage.  I am happy to say that in the last few months I have been pain free.  There has only been 1 asthma attack (and I believe this was due to the fact that we were without product for over 2 weeks) and no sign of eczema.  It is so easy to get caught up in the arguments, as I have been reading in these pages, but to me the only proof I need is the healthy kids living in my home.  I wouldn't go a day without them and as a single Mom of 4, that is saying a lot.

Offline Valerie Jo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 19/01/2006 18:58:32 »
I READ THROUGH MANY OF THE ENTRIES LISTED ON THIS SITE BECAUSE A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER HEALTH FOUND THIS SITE AFTER I HAD SUGGESTED SHE TRY GLYCONUTRIENTS. I FIND THE ENTRIES BOTH INTERESTING AND CONFUSING. I'M NOT A SCIENTIST NOR A DOCTOR SO I WONT EVEN BEGIN TO TRY TO DISPUTE ANYTHING THAT IS SAID, THOUGH IT DOES SEEM TO ME THAT BOTH THE BIOLOGIST AND THE DOCTOR SEEM TO DISPUTE ONE ANOTHER AND EVEN THEMSELVES AS YOU READ THROUGH THE ENTRIES. ONE MINUTE THEY ARE SAYING GLYCONUTRIENTS ARE OF NO VALUE AND THEN TELLING US HOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE MIXED THEIR OWN HAVE HAD GOOD HEALTH BENEFITS FROM USING THEM? I'M CONFUSED, IS IT THEIR DEDUCTION THAT ONLY THE HOME MIXED GLYCONUTRIENTS ARE OF VALUE TO YOUR HEALTH?

HERE IS WHAT I WILL SHARE WITH YOU, AS IT IS MY PERSONAL LIFE EXPERIENCE SO FAR. ONE THAT HAS LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE, AND THE LIVES OF MY TEENAGE CHILDREN. OF COURSE SOME OF YOU MAY WANT TO STOP READING RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE I DON'T MIX MY OWN PRODUCT, I DO GET IT FROM THE COMPANY THAT IS CHARGING TOO MUCH ACCORDING TO DUANE. BUT SINCE I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY HAD TO PAY FOR MY PRODUCT SINCE THE SECOND MONTH, DUE TO THAT MARKETING PLAN DUANE SO DISLIKES, I PREFER TO GET MINE ALREADY MIXED IN A JAR. AND AS KC MENTIONED, I LIKE THE IDEA THAT THE PRODUCT HAS BEEN TESTED TO MAKE SURE THAT IT HAS THE ACTUAL "ACTIVE" INGREDIENTS IN IT.

I HAVE SUFFERD WITH THE SYMPTOMS OF LUPUS FOR QUITE SOME TIME. I HAVE A TENDANCY TO SAY IT THIS WAY BECAUSE AT THE LAST BLOOD TEST I HAD, I STILL DIDNíT TEST POSITIVE FOR ANAíS, ANTINUCLEAR ANTIBODIES IN MY BLOOD THAT ARE USED AS THE DIFINITIVE PROOF OF LUPUS, THUS THE COMMENT THAT I SUFFER FROM LUPUS LIKE SYMPTOMS.

MY PROBLEMS STARTED SHORTLY AFTER THE BIRTH OF MY FIRST CHILD NEARLY 19 YRS AGO, AT LEAST THAT'S WHEN I FIRST NOTICED IT. LOOKING BACK ON IT THERE WERE SOME SYMPTOMS THAT IíVE HAD SINCE CHILDHOOD, SUCH AS BEING ANEMIC.

IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE BIRTH OF MY SON, MY HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT IN GREAT GOBS AS IF I WAS HAVING CHEMO THERAPY. MY OB-GYN DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT SOMETIMES THE CHANGE IN YOUR HORMONES FROM GIVING BIRTH WILL CAUSE THIS AND THAT IF IT DIDNíT STOP IN 3 TO 6 MONTHS HE WOULD REFER ME TO A DERMITOLOGIST TO HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. SINCE I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY SECOND CHILD WITHIN 4 MONTHS, I JUST FIGURED MY HORMONES WERE STILL OUT OF WACK AND IGNORED THE WHOLE SITUATION. IíVE ALWAYS HAD REALLY THICK, FAST GROWING HAIR, SO AT LEAST I WASNíT GOING BALD, AND AT THAT POINT HAD OTHER THINGS TO OCCUPY MY MIND AND TIME, ITíS CALLED A NEW BORN, AND MINE HAPPENED TO BE COLICKY, FUNNY HOW NO ONE THOUGHT TO TELL ME THAT WHAT I ATE WOULD HAVE AN EFFECT ON MY NURSING INFANT.

NEXT I STARTED HAVING UNEXPLAINED SWELLING AND BREAKING OUT IN DISCOID ERUPTIONS (LIKE HAVING HIVES, ONLY THE PUMPS WERE CONCAVE IN THE MIDDLE) THEY WOULD START OUT THE SIZE OF A PENCIL ERASER AND ABSOLUTELY CIRCULAR, THEY WOULD SPREAD ACROSS MY SKIN, SOMETIMES GETTING AS BIG AROUND AS A GRAPEFRUIT. THE ERUPTIONS ITCHED, BUT IF YOU SCRATCHED THEM THEY WOULD HURT, AND OFTEN AS THEY GOT REALLY LARGE THEY WOULD TURN BLACK AND BLUE BEFORE FADING AWAY.

THEN CAME THE JOINT PAINÖ I HAD BEEN IN A MOTOR CYCLE ACCIDENT WHEN I WAS 19 AND HAD SUFFERED ON AND OFF WITH BACK PAIN EVER SINCE. SO WHEN I FIRST STARTED HAVING PAIN IN THE JOINTS OF MY LEGS, ANKLES AND HIPS I JUST FIGURED IT WAS ALL RELATED TO THE BACK PROBLEMS. BUT CHIROPRACTIC HAD ALWAYS HELPED WITH MY BACK PAINS BEFORE AND AS TIME WENT ON THE PAIN GOT WORSE AND SEEMED TO BE IN EVERY JOINT OF MY BODY AND CHIROPRACTIC DIDNíT RELIEVE THIS PAIN. THE PAIN EVERY NIGHT JUST FROM SLEEPING, FELT LIKE EVERY JOINT IN MY BODY, EACH & EVERY VERTEBRAE ACHED, IT TOOK AN HOUR OR SO OF VERY PAINFUL MOVING AROUND EACH MORNING TO GET BACK TO NORMAL.

SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY I STARTED GETTING RASHES INSTEAD OF SUNBURN WHEN I WAS OUT IN THE SUN, AND IF I WENT OUT IN THE SUN FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME (SOMETIMES ONLY 10 TO 15 MINUTES) I WOULD HAVE PAIN IN MY FEET, ANKLES, KNEES AND HIPS SO BAD I COULD HARDLY BEAR TO WALK.

I WOULD WAKE UP MANY MORNINGS WITH MY FACE AND EYES SO PUFFY I LOOKED LIKE AN ORIENTAL VERSION OF THE PILSBURY DOUGH BOY; MY CHIROPRACTOR FELT THIS WAS PROBABLY DUE TO MY KIDNEYS HAVING PROBLEMS SINCE MY BACK ON BOTH SIDES WOULD BE KILLING ME.  I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO GET UP DURING THE NIGHT TO URINATE 2 OR 3, SOMETIMES EVEN 4 TIMES.

MY CHEEKS WOULD FLUSH RED & HOT, AT ODD TIMES FOR NO APPEARANT REASON AND I HAD PROBLEMS WITH SORE AND/OR SWOLLEN GLANDS IN MY NECK, I ENDED UP HAVING SURGERY FOR A ďCOLD NODEĒ OR CYST ON MY THYROID IN 1991 AND WAS LEFT WITH ONLY HALF MY THYROID BUT NORMAL BLOOD LEVELS WHEN TESTED.

I HAD MIGRAINES WITH FLASHING LIGHTS AND FLOATERS IN MY EYES, THESE WERE SO BAD THAT WHEN I FELT THEM COMING ON I HAD TO MAKE A RUN FOR HOME BECAUSE MY EYES WOULD BECOME SO LIGHT SENSITIVE I COULDNíT DRIVE, IF IT GOT TOO FAR INTO THE PROCESS.

I DEVELOPED PROBLEMS WITH MY EYESÖ AN INFLAMATION OF THE INNER EYE THE FIRST TIME THAT TOOK 6 MONTHS TO CLEAR UP, THEN THE SCLERA AND THEN THE EYE LID ITSELF. LET ME TELL YOU THAT GETTING A STEROID SHOT IN THE EYEBALL IS NO FUN.

I HAVE ECZEMA ON MY SCALP AND FACE AND THE ITCHING USED TO DRIVE ME NUTS, ESPECIALLY WHENEVER I WAS UNDER A LOT OF STRESS; NOT TO MENTION THE INCONVENIENCE OF LIVING IN A PERPETUAL SNOW STORM FROM THE FLAKING.

THEN THERE WERE THE NIGHTS WHERE I WOKE UP CHOKING & FEELING LIKE I WAS DROWNING FROM WHAT FELT LIKE WATER IN MY LUNGS, THOSE WERE REALLY EXCITING TIMES IN MY LIFE. ADD TO THAT GETTING THE GOOD OLD SOUTHEAST TEXAS CREEPING CRUD (COLD AND SINUS PROBLEMS THAT HANG ON FOR WEEKS OR EVEN MONTHS) A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR AND HAVING THAT TURN INTO BRONCHITIS AT LEAST EVERY OTHER YEAR AND EVEN PNEUMONIA ONCE AND LIFE IS NEVER DULL.

THE SUDDEN, UNEXPLAINED FATIGUE WAS THE REAL LIFE CHANGER, IMMAGINE BEING PERFECTLY FINE ONE MINUTE, AND YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN THE NEXT. THAT MAKES FOR REALLY EXCITING ROAD TRIPS! YOU CANíT DRIVE A CAR WHEN YOU CANíT KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN. MY CHILDREN AND I TOOK A VACATION TRIP TO NEW ORLEANS ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. THE TRIP THERE AND THE RIVER CRUISE WERE GREAT, UNFORTUNATELY THE NORMALLY 6 HOUR DRIVE HOME TURNED INTO 19 HOURS DUE TO THIS TYPE OF FATIGUE AND THAT PUT A REALLY BAD SPIN ON THE WHOLE TRIP. THERE WERE TIMES I WONDERED IF I COULD MAKE IT THE 20-MILES FROM WORK TO HOME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY BECAUSE ONE OF THESE BOUTS WOULD HIT ME.

AS IF LIFE WAS NOT HARD ENOUGH I STARTED GETTING BOUTS OF DEPRESSION THAT WOULD LAST FOR WEEKS AT A TIME, THE KIND WHERE YOU JUST CANíT EVEN CONVINCE YOURSELF TO GET OUT OF BED. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A STRONG WILLED PERSON, THE KIND WHO PICKS THEMSELVES UP BY THE BOOT STRAPS AND JUST KEEPS GOING. BUT I TRULY COULDNíT SEEM TO MAKE MYSELF GET OUT OF BED ON SOME OF THOSE DAYS. SINCE IíM A SINGLE MOTHER AND AM SELF EMPLOYED, THIS WAS REALLY DIFFICULT ON MY FAMILY AND OUR INCOME.

THE LAST SYMPTOM THAT I DEVELOPED WAS NUMBNESS IN MY THUMBS AND THE FIRST 3 FINGERS OF BOTH HANDS. NOW I HAVE SUFFERED FROM CARPEL TUNNEL IN THE PAST, AND CHIROPRACTIC HELPED ME TO AVOID SURGERY FOR YEARS, BUT THIS WAS DIFFERENT AND VERY SCARRY WHEN IT STARTED LASTING LONGER AND LONGER. AND NO MATTER HOW MANY ADJUSTMENTS I GOT, IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CHANGE THE SEVERITY OR FREQUENCY OF THIS PROBLEM. MY WORK AND LIVELYHOOD REQUIRED TYPING, YOU CANíT TYPE WHEN YOU HAVE NO FEELING IN YOUR FINGERS! IN FACT IT'S DIFFICULT TO DO MOST ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES DEXTERATY, INCLUDING SIMPLY GETTING DRESSED.

I TELL YOU ALL OF THIS SO THAT YOU CAN TRY TO IMAGINE WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON IN MY LIFE THE PAST 19 YEARS. THE GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS WAS THAT LUPUS SYMPTOMS CAME AND WENT, SO EVEN THOUGH THINGS GOT WORSE OVER TIME AND HAPPENED MORE FREQUENTLY, AT LEAST IT WASNíT EVERYTHING AT ONE TIME, DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

THE NORMAL THERAPY FOR LUPUS IS STEROID TREATMENT TO RELEIVE THE SYMPTOMS, BUT THIS DOESNíT GET RID OF THE LUPUS AND HAS ITíS OWN SIDE AFFECTS, WHICH I DIDNíT CARE TO EXPERIENCE. WE ALL KNOW THAT STEROIDS ARENíT GOOD FOR A HEALTHY BODY, SO WHY WOULD I WANT TO PUT THEM INTO A SICK ONE? JUST THE TOPICAL THAT I HAD TO USE ON MY EYES HAD CAUSED ME TO LOSE A GREAT DEAL OF MY VISSION, WHICH IS NOT SOMETHING UNUSUAL THAT HAPPENED ONLY TO ME, IT SAYS RIGHT THERE ON THE CONTAINER THAT EXTENDED USE WILL CAUSE BLINDNESS. WHEN I DISCUSSED THIS WITH MY OPTHAMOLOGIST/EYE SURGEON AND TOLD HIM I WANTED OFF THE STEROIDS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, HE JUST GOT ANGRY WITH ME AND TOLD ME I COULD GO BLIND FROM THE INFLAMATION OR I COULD GO BLIND FROM THE STEROIDS. I TOLD HIM MY CHOICE WAS NOT TO GO BLIND AT ALL, BUT THAT DIDN'T SEEM TO BE ONE OF THE OPTIONS FOR HIM.

I SEARCHED FOR A DIFFERENT WAY TO GET HEALTHY, MY CHIROPRACTOR AND I DISCUSSED THE POSSIBILITY OF VITAMIN AND NUTRITIONAL THERAPY, WHICH I STARTED. AND THEN I WAS FORTUNATE TO DISCOVER WELLNESS FILTERED WATER. WHICH UP TO THIS POINT MADE THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IN HOW I FELT.

THROUGH MY RELATIONSHIP WITH WELLNESS FILTERS I WAS INTRODUCED TO GLYCONUTRIENT AND PHYTONUTRIENT PRODUCTS. I ADMIT THAT AFTER THE FIRST 4 TO 5 WEEKS I ACTUALLY GOT WORSE INSTEAD OF BETTER, I FIGURED THAT WAS PROBABLY MY BODY GETTING RID OF THE TOXINS, SO I KEPT TAKING THE PRODUCTS. BY WEEKS 6 AND 7 I STARTED FEELING BETTER AND NOW, A LITTLE OVER A YEAR LATER I HAVE GOTTEN RELIEF FROM CLOSE TO 95% OF MY SYMPTOMS.

A GREAT SIDE EFFECT THAT I HADNíT PLANNED ON WAS THAT I HAVE HAD A RATHER LARGE LUMP OF FIBROCYSTIC TISSUE, ABOUT 1 INCH BY 3 INCHES, IN MY BREAST SINCE I WAS 19 YEARS OLD AND SOMEWHERE AROUND MONTH 5 OR 6 IT JUST DISAPPEARED.(I'M 51 NOW, BY THE WAY, SO I'VE HAD THAT LUMP A LONG TIME. THE GOOD NEWS IS, IT NEVER GOT ANY BIGGER, IT WAS THAT SIZE WHEN THE OB-GYN DOCTOR FOUND IT AT 19 YEARS OF AGE.)

I STARTED MY TEENAGE CHILDREN ON THE PRODUCTS IN JANUARY A YEAR AGO, AFTER ABOUT SIX MONTHS, MY SON WHO HAS SUFFERED FROM ALERGIES FROM BIRTH REALIZED THAT HE HAD NOT HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH ALLERGIES FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. (BY THE WAY, CHIROPRACTIC WORKED MIRACLES ON HIS ALLERGIES FROM ABOUT AGE 5. IT STOPPED ALL THE ASTHMA ATTACKS AND INFECTIONS, BUT NEVER SEEMED TO TOTALLY GET RID OF THE RUNNY NOSE, CONGESTION AND PURPLE UNDER EYES AT CERTAIN TIMES OF THE YEAR)

MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER HAS BEEN USING SOME OF THE GLYCONUTRIENT WEIGHT LOSS PRODUCTS AS WELL AS THE OPTIMAL HEALTH PROGRAM AND HAS MANAGED TO LOSE 50 POUNDS, MAKING A TOTAL OF LOSS OF 60 POUNDS SINCE OCTOBER OF 2004. SHE ALSO LOVES THE ENDICRINE SUPPORT PRODUCTS THAT HAVE GIVEN HER RELIEF FROM PMS AND MENSTRAL PROBLEMS. AND SHE FEELS IT IS EASIER TO FOCUS IN SCHOOL SINCE SHE STARTED TAKING THE GLYCO AND PHYTO NUTRIENTS. (HER GRADES CERTAINLY SEEM TO CONFIRM THIS.)

EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THAT GLYCO AND PHYTO NUTRIENTS DONíT TREAT, CURE OR MITIGATE DISEASE IT SURE IS NICE TO HAVE A BODY THAT SEEMS TO OPERATE AT A HIGHER LEVEL OF HEALTH WHEN IT HAS THEM. I HAVE FRIENDS WHO HAVE LUPUS, MS, KIDNEY FAILURE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,FIBROMYALGIA AND OTHER PROBLEMS THAT HAVE EXPERIENCED RELIEF FROM THEIR SYMPTOMS AS WELL (AND BETTER BLOOD LEVELS, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE IT TESTED ON A REGULAR BASIS). I'M SO GLAD THAT MY BODY SEEMS TO "THINK" THESE PRODUCTS ARE DOING SOME GOOD, BECAUSE I HAVE USED A LOT OF DIFFERENT BRANDS AND TYPES OF NUTRITIONAL PRODUCTS OVER THE YEARS, FROM MY CHIROPRACTOR'S OFFICE, THE HEALTH FOOD STORE AND FROM OTHER NETWORK MARKETING COMPANIES, NOTHING HAS EVER HAD THIS EFFECT ON MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, UNLESS THEY CAN PROVE THAT IT IS DAMAGING MY HEALTH, WHICH I ADMIT WOULD BE HARD TO PROVE TO ME AT THIS POINT. I AM GOING TO MAKE THESE PRODUCTS A PART OF MY FAMILY'S HEALTH REGIME FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES BECAUSE WE JUST PLAIN FEEL BETTER WHEN WE HAVE THEM IN OUR DIET. I SUGGEST THAT YOU DO WHAT DR. REG McDANIEL SAYS, JUST OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND TRY THEM FOR 3 OR 4 MONTHS, THEN YOU WILL KNOW FOR YOURSELF. THAT'S WHAT I DID, AND IF THIS IS SOME KIND OF PLACEBO EFFECT, THEN THANK GOD FOR THAT, I'M KEEPING THIS GREAT HEALTH.

YOU CAN MIX YOUR OWN OR GET ON THE "FUNDED WELLNESS FOR LIFE" PROGRAM LIKE I DID, BUT JUST TRY THE GLYCO AND PHYTO NUTRIENTS, SEE IF THEY MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR HEALTH.

Valerie Jo from Houston

Offline surveydan77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 19/01/2006 21:51:18 »
Kitty, thanks for the welcome :)  I'm used to dealing with ignorance and conflict enthusiasts.  The truth of the matter is that there will always be people who, because they can't understand the way something works, yell at those who do.  It doesn't bother me really, because at the end of the day... I'm the one getting the mannatech paychecks (just got two today by the way) and living the healthier life! ;)  Congrats on your wealth, and best of luck to you.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 21/01/2006 16:39:39 »
Many associates still misinterpret my posts.  I haven't said that glyconutrients don't work, just that Mannatech's "8 essential sugar" hypothesis is bogus marketing material.  That doesn't mean they aren't beneficial.  

Are their alternate explanations with scientific support?  Yes.

SYNOPSIS:  ONE WAY THESE SUBSTANCES WORK IN SO MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS IS BY INCREASING PRODUCTION OF SHORT-CHAIN FATTY ACIDS (SCFA) IN YOUR INTESTINE.  SCFA's ARE ABSORBED FROM THE INTESTINES, AND CAN EFFECT THE WHOLE BODY.

I have shown previously that research has shown that the majority of these substances are converted by microorganisms into short-chain fatty acids, such as butryate (which is NOT a sugar).  This is one of the ways glyconutrients have their effects.  Unlike sugars, SCFA's are not produced by your body, but must be acquired by production of them via bacteria in your colon.

Butyrate is the primary energy source for the colon, and is potently anti-inflammatory, and has been shown to actually convert colon cancer cells (and other cancer cells) into normal cells, as well as have many other beneficial effects.  Variations of butyric acid are being studied for use in cancer and other conditions.

Recently, a group wondered if soluble fiber in the diet would effect renal (kidney) disease by increasing circulating amounts of butyrate.  So they gave Gum Arabic (sound familiar, it is also known as Gum Acacia, and is really cheap) to human volunteers for 8 weeks.  At the end of 8 weeks they found the levels of circulating butyrate to have doubled.  In vitro, they found butyrate had beneficial effects on generation of certain cytokines which effect the kidney in renal diseases.  Showing a mechanism of how glyconutrients can effect renal disease without the glyconutrients ever getting to the kidney themselves.

Matsumoto N, Riley S, Fraser D, Al-Assaf S, Ishimura E, Wolever T, Phillips GO, Phillips AO.  Butyrate modulates TGF-beta1 generation and function: Potential renal benefit for Acacia(sen) SUPERGUMtrade mark (gum arabic)?
Kidney Int. 2006 Feb;69(2):257-65.

Noting that dietary supplementation with Gum Arabic in this study showed a doubling of circulating butyrate, it is interesting what other things butyrate is being studied to help.  Such as: (with representative references)

Types of neurodegenerative disease (1)
Cancers (2)
Increases production the antimicrobial protein "cathelicidin"(3)
Inflammation (4)
Increases CXCR4 in bone marrow - increase stem cell production/mobilisation(5)
     -Interestingly it decreases CXCR4 in Tumor cells (6,7)

Just to name a few.  All of which suggest glyconutrients can have substantial beneficial effects on various conditions of the body without it having anything to do with absorbing sugars. (And did I mention Gum Arabic is really inexpensive??)

1.  Ying M, Xu R, Wu X, Zhu H, Zhuang Y, Han M, Xu T. Sodium butyrate ameliorates histone hypoacetylation and neurodegenerative phenotypes in a mouse model for DRPLA.J Biol Chem. 2005 Dec 28
2.  Entin-Meer M, Rephaeli A, Yang X, Nudelman A, VandenBerg SR, Haas-Kogan DA.
Butyric acid prodrugs are histone deacetylase inhibitors that show antineoplastic activity and radiosensitizing capacity in the treatment of malignant gliomas.
Mol Cancer Ther. 2005 Dec;4(12):1952-61.
3.  Kida Y, Shimizu T, Kuwano K. Links Sodium butyrate up-regulates cathelicidin gene expression via activator protein-1 and histone acetylation at the promoter region in a human lung epithelial cell line, EBC-1. Mol Immunol. 2006 Jan 16;
4.  Soderberg LS, Boger S, Fifer EK, Gilbert KM. Related Articles, Links  
 Macrophage production of inflammatory mediators is potently inhibited by a butyric acid derivative demonstrated to inactivate antigen-stimulated T cells. Int Immunopharmacol. 2004 Sep;4(9):1231-9.
5. Gupta SK, Pillarisetti K, Aiyar N. CXCR4 undergoes complex lineage and inducing agent-dependent dissociation of expression and functional responsiveness to SDF-1alpha during myeloid differentiation.  J Leukoc Biol. 2001 Sep;70(3):431-8.  
6.  Shibuta K, Mori M, Shimoda K, Inoue H, Mitra P, Barnard GF. Regional expression of CXCL12/CXCR4 in liver and hepatocellular carcinoma and cell-cycle variation during in vitro differentiation.Jpn J Cancer Res. 2002 Jul;93(7):789-97.  
7.  Jordan NJ, Kolios G, Abbot SE, Sinai MA, Thompson DA, Petraki K, Westwick J. Expression of functional CXCR4 chemokine receptors on human colonic epithelial cells. J Clin Invest. 1999 Oct;104(8):1061-9.  

Remembering that combinations of different glyconutrients have been shown to increase ratios of butyric acid, propionic acid, etc, may also suggest why a combination of more than one has better effects.

So, for you selling these supplements, here is more scientific evidence to help you.  However, Since Mannatech doesn't make any of these ingredients, those who don't want to pay high prices can buy the ingredients, made by the same companies Mannatech buys them from, and mix your own.  Your choice, as long as everyone gets the benefits.

Exciting stuff

Duane

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 21/01/2006 17:07:53 »
Hi folks!

Although I'm new to the group and this discussion, I have been interested Mannatech and it's products for some time. I am particularly interested in the research as presented on the "glycoscience.com" web site. Of the sixty "product specific" research articles listed, less than a handful appear to be conducted using controls. Does anyone know if "double blind, placebo controlled" studies for any of Mannatech's products are underway or planned? It seems to me if Mannatech wishes it's supplements to become accepted and adopted by the mainstream medical community, more of these type studies need to be conducted and published in medical journals such as the "Journal of the American Medical Association" or the "New England Journal of Medicine". Also, can anyone tell me what happened with this particular study supposedly done in 1998 by the New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia Center?

newbielink:http://www.dfwcfids.org/cfids/fightfatigue.html [nonactive]

I can't seem to find the results anywhere and my emails to the New Jersey CFS/FM Center go unanswered.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Kittycat

« Reply #164 on: 22/01/2006 19:06:09 »
Hi Greg and Valerie (thanks for the recoveries you shared),
Welcome and please do stick around. It gets a little messy here sometimes. Just like life in the real world ;o)

It looks as though we are seeing the results of regeneration of the liver, etc. in this case. It appears as if those stem cells are doing their thing again.
God's ability to heal and his family using glyconutrients:
http://www.miracleboy.org/

It blesses my socks off to see how God deals with the gods of the science world.
Glyconutrients are a gift to mankind that came through the back door of science. Given into the hands of regular folks like you and me. A natural food and not a drug.
While we don't see many doctors and scientist supporting this technology (yet), this doesn't change a thing for us. We have a win win situation with the results and we don't have to wait for the multi-billion dollar paid science and pharmaceutical industry to develop more drugs to keep us healthy.
KC

1Corinthians: 26-27
For consider your calling, brethren that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong.

« Last Edit: 22/01/2006 20:52:18 by Kittycat »

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 23/01/2006 04:47:22 »
It is great to realize that God made these substances, and many more...Not Mannatech, and we don't need Mannatech to benefit from them.

Duane

Kittycat

« Reply #166 on: 28/01/2006 03:07:47 »
Yes Duane, once again you are right.
We don't need Mannatech to benefit from them. I wonder if we need Mannatech's patent ratios to copy Ambrotose and benefit from it? We wouldn't even be able to encourage others to fill Ambrotose jars and sell homemade glyconutrients to fulfill their greed.
Also many would not be aware of glyconutrients or even be alive if Mannatech were non-existent. This makes me wonder again, would these living ones agree with such strong opinions? And I'll be, there would be no reason to display interpretations and argue. What a boring world that would be. ;o)
Have a good one, KC

« Last Edit: 28/01/2006 04:26:49 by Kittycat »

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 28/01/2006 04:30:24 »
Did we hit a nerve?  Take a few more glycos and maybe it will regenerate.

Kittycat

« Reply #168 on: 28/01/2006 06:51:52 »
No, but thanks for asking, I find it fun too. It must be the gitty effect of the sugars, or maybe the great beer (or 10;O)) I just enjoyed, either way having fun and hope you are too. Sleep well, KC

« Last Edit: 29/01/2006 17:09:59 by Kittycat »

Offline Calm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 28/01/2006 09:38:12 »
Thanks Duane.  And thank you to all others in this discussion.  I have read this whole thread from a non-biased perspective, and I think there has been a misunderstanding.  Duane is saying that there is an alternative to Mannatech, that is cheaper and just as effective.  That's pretty much all.  I don't see why slamming him is at all helpful to anyone.  As they say, give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.  Mannatech is offering me an expensive fish fillet.

I make my own herbal tinctures, and I'm sure those in Herbal Life would not like it when I "teach a man to fish" and make his own tinctures either.  But it doesn't mean my tinctures are lesser.  I see Duane helping more people by sharing this information, and helping them more long term - by showing them self sufficiency and giving access to recipes.  If it is a big, wealthy corporation against one guy - why on earth are you slamming the one guy?  Can't the corporation look after themselves?

Kittycat

« Reply #170 on: 29/01/2006 22:58:36 »
Hello everyone,

I have found these links to be very helpful in the learning process regarding the science, technology and how the body requires glyconutrients .

I will continue to share info that I have studied and hope that this is helpful as it has helped me tremendously.

FROM DR. MURRAY CO-AUTHOR OF THE HARPER'S BIOCHEMISTRY TEXTBOOK:

http://www.doctorshealthcall.com/Basic%20Science%20of%20Sugar.htm

Dr. Murray received his medical degree from the University of Glasgow, Scotland, in 1956. He interned at Victoria Hospital, London, and then completed a further year of post-graduate training at the University of Michigan, USA, where he was awarded an MS degree in Physiology in 1958. This was followed by three more years of graduate research in Biochemistry at the University of Toronto, Canada, culminating in him being awarded a PhD degree in 1961.Upon completion of his PhD, he received an appointment as Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto. In 1965 he was appointed Senior Post-Doctoral Fellow, Oncology and Pathology, at the University of Wisconsin, returning to the University of Toronto in 1968 as Associate Professor, Biochemistry, where he was appointed Professor in 1973.

Dr. Murray had a distinguished teaching and research career at the University during which he received Faculty and Alumni awards for teaching, trained more than a dozen graduate students, published over fifty scientific peer-reviewed papers, authored multiple textbook articles, and was one of authors of the last five editions of 'Harper's Biochemistry', the 25th edition of which has just been published in 2000.

Since 1998, Dr. Murray has served as Professor (Emeritus) at the University of Toronto and recently as a consultant in carbohydrate biology and biochemistry to the nutritional supplement industry.

GLYCOPROTEIN SYNTHESIS REQUIRING NUTRITION AND OPTIMIZED BY GLYCONUTRIENTS:

http://www.valdezlink.com/pages/molecularbiology-dietarysupplements.htm

Dr. Reg McDaniel:
http://www.drreg.net/

We are fearfully and Wonderfully made

Offline paket

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 30/01/2006 06:06:57 »
I found this forum while researching glyco. (My wife is seeing a counseller who, by some strange coincidence, wants to sell her the stuff) I want to send out a big THANK YOU to duane and ylide for providing real info that isn't rote parroting of a sales brochure.

I also found out what UC-Berkely thought about glyco supplements:
newbielink:http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsGlyconutrients.php [nonactive]

And the Mayo Clinic:
newbielink:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glyconutrients/AN01102 [nonactive]

thanks guys

Kittycat

« Reply #172 on: 30/01/2006 14:39:43 »
Hi Paket, welcome to this forum,

It is not always the coziest place but many of us are learning together here regarding glyconutrients.
I understand your skepticism since I was there myself. Thank you for the links you provided I found them helpful.
As I read them, the thought I had was that most doctors or scientists either don't or won't recognize the benefit of anything other than surgery, medical procedures or drugs and they in turn may have their financial investment threatened or perhaps they don't know enough about food nutrients/supplements and may be afraid of lawsuits.

I may be wrong, however the way I see it is that science usually supports few if any benefit at all to food having healing properties, food supplements, or anything that is not a drug.
I do see more of a trend lately since the public is demanding more alternative type avenues, (obviously food is not alternative), of health care which is forcing western medicine to change.

The very fact that drug companies are using carbohydrates with drugs,
 http://www.pro-pharmaceuticals.com/aboutus-video1.htm confirms that they see the value in it, but no value in a food supplement?
Could it be because there is no financial gain with people eating the food the body needs to heal?

I hope you will have an open mind for your wife's benefit. I have seen many not willing to learn more about it and they are influenced by the negativity in forums, or by their doctors who tell them not to use glyconutrients without any knowledge of what glyconutrients are.

Dr. Murray co-author of the HARPER'S BIOCHEMISTRY TEXTBOOK recognizes the benefit of glyconutrient supplementation, shouldn't we?
KC

We are fearfully and Wonderfully made
« Last Edit: 30/01/2006 14:52:05 by Kittycat »

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 02/02/2006 08:04:40 »
Did I mention that I talked with Bill McAnalley,Ph.D. (the father of glyconutrients) last week when he was in town.  Anyway...

Most of this post is for those people NOT here selling anything, but just looking at objective information in this area.

At another forum (curezone.com), a poster brought up the topic of Inulin.  Being the curious type, I did a little research on this easily obtained glyconutrient and found out some very interesting things.

Let me start by saying, INULIN IS CHEAP. 8 oz (222 grams) inulin powder from NOW foods is only $3.85 (www.vitaglo.com [nofollow]), other sites it runs a little more.

INULIN is a polysaccharide (glyconutrient) but it is not made up of a complex amount of sugars most people have not heard of before, but of long chains of fructose with some glucose. SO WHAT BENEFIT COULD JUST A CHAIN OF FRUCTOSE BE???? THESE AREN'T THE MISSING SUGARS IN OUR DIET!!!

Well lets see what Duane found in the few moments of researching this topic...

Inulin: (oral:dietary) Has been shown in scientific studies to:

*Shifts percentage of Bifidobacterium in your colon from 20% to 71% in as little as 5 days. (decreases clostridia - nasty guys - to almost zero) (Bifidobacterium - Good Guys - See below)
*Causes microorganisms to produce mostly Butyrate (See below)(Fructooligosaccharides Ė FOS - main product is acetate and lactate, so inulin has an advantage)
*Stimulates immune system directly and indirectly (see below)
*Increases ion absorption (e.g. calcium, magnesium)
*Increase in bone mineral density in animals (FOS does not)
*Improves Bone mineral density in human adolescents (being studied for osteoporosis)
*Decreases tissue proinflammatory cytokines
*Reduces colonic inflammation
*Reduce risk for colon cancer.
*Prevents Chronic Inflammatory intestinal diseases
*Increase concentration of secretory IgA in ileum and caecum.
*Increase splenic NK cell cytotoxicity as well as splenocyte cytokine production
*Improves cognitive function and learning discrimination in rats
*Decreases triglycerides and cholesterol in hyperlipidemic people (again, FOS not as effective)
*In animals: Decrease incidence of cancers, inhibits growth of transplanted cancers, prevents metastasis.
*Potentiates (improves) the effects of Cancer radiotherapy and many chemotherapies
*Decreases fecal ammonia (ammonia is plant food Ė Yeast is a plant)

Documented Health benefits of Bifidobacterium: (which is significantly increased because of INULIN)

*Inhibit growth of harmful bacteria and yeasts
*Aid in the absorption of certain ions
*Synthesis of certain B vitamins
*Inhibited harmful enzymes (beta-glucosidase, beta-glucuronidase, tryptophanase and urease)
*lowers the pH colon.
*Also they inhibit ammonia production of intestinal microflora,
*Lower colonic pH

Immune Effects of Inulin and Bifidobacterium

* enlargement of a number of T-cells and increasing of major histocompatibility complex (MHC-II) molecule on the surface of an antigen-presenting cells of spleen, mesenteric lymph nodes, thymus was noted.
* increasing of content interleukin-2 and interleukin-4 in blood was noted in rats fed inulin and oligofructose.
Increase concentration of secretory IgA in ileum and caecum.
*Increase splenic NK cell cytotoxicity as well as splenocyte cytokine production

Huge benefits of increased butyrate (which is significantly increased by Inulin specifically)
*Energy source for colonic epithelia
*Anti-inflammatory
*Immunomodulatory
*Anti-cancer (can actually turn a cancer cell into a normal cell Ė differentiation)
*Decreases pH of colon (beneficial)
*Stimulates CXCR4 in bone marrow (stimulate stem cells?), but inhibits it in cancer cells.
*Multiple other effects, many of which have been elicited in other posts in this forum.

Following is from: http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/7/1402S [nofollow]
Shifts in the distribution of fecal microflora in humans provided a diet without and with supplemental inulin. Source: Gibson et al. (1995) .

Standard Diet
65% Bacteriodes
20 %Bifidobacteria
12% Fusobacteria
3% Clostridia

Inulin Diet
71% Bifidobacteria
26% Bacteriodes
3% Fusobacteria
0.3% Clostridia

WOW. Is that impressive? And that is not all of the effects, just the ones I listed. You could also add effects on free fatty acids, digestion of foods, indirect effects on allergic and auto-immune reactions, and a whole host of secondary effects.

All those beneficial effects, and just with a beta-linked chain of Fructose??? How many of those same benefits are the people who take the EXPENSIVE glyconutrients looking for??? Could some of them get just as good benefits with this simple alternative??? OR Would this be something we could use in place of the Gum Ghatti, or Gum Tragacanth in our home recipes????

I still think the Arabinogalactan and Acemannan (manapol) have some separate benefits because they have some added benefits of stimulating specific receptors in the intestines (e.g. mannan-binding lectins, galectins, etc) that can stimulate certain immunologic and other physiologic functions that Inulin will not have, and of course, glucosamine is great for joint health, so these do have their place for many people and conditions.

I suspect that many people, depending on their condition and symptoms, could equally benefit just from this one supplement. It would be interesting to compare this, or various combinations of inulin and other ingredients to the Patented formula for effects. Either way, I hope this information helps someone.

GREAT STUFF!!!!!

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this.

Duane

(Below are a few of the articles, references or abstracts that I found fascinating as I evaluated and investigated this material. Some of the more technical may find it more interesting than others, but I thought I would add it.)

"Inulin is a beta-linked polydisperse Ŗ(21) fructan,(chains of fructose) with a glucose molecule at the end of each glucose chain. The beta linkages keep the molecule from being digested in the small intestine. There is an excellent article in Journal of Nutrition which shows a pie chart that shows the results of a study showing a radical increase in bifidobacteria and a equal decrease in clostridium."
(Kathy R. Niness Inulin and Oligofructose: What Are They? Journal of Nutrition. 1999;129:1402S-1406S)

Another important factor of inulin is that the major fermentation product is butyrate, whereas fructooligosaccharides main product is acetate and lactate. (Fermentation of fructooligosaccharides and inulin by bifidobacteria: a comparative study of pure and fecal cultures. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005 Oct;71(10):6150-8)

ďHealth benefits ascribed to Bifidobacteria include the following: inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, stimulating of components of the immune system and aiding the absorption of certain ions and the synthesis of B vitamins. The bifidogenic effect of inulin and oligofructose has been well proven (Bouhnik et al. 1994B3B3 , Djouzi and Andrieux 1997B14B14 , Gibson et al. 1995B18B18 , Gibson and Roberfroid 1995B19B19 , Hidaka et al. 1986B23B23 , Kleessen et al. 1994B26B26 , Menne et al. 1997B35B35 , Mitsuoka 1986B36B36 , Mitsukoa et al. 1987B37B37 , Roberfroid et al. 1998B50B50 , Sanno 1986B58B58 , Shimoyama et al. 1984B61B61 , Takahashi 1986B65B65 ). Dramatic positive shifts in the composition of microflora have been shown through in vivo human studies at doses between 5 and 20 g/d, generally over a 15-d period (Fig. 1F1F1 : Gibson et al. 1995B18B18 ), (Kleessen et al. 1994B26B26 , Menne et al. 1997B35B35 , Wang 1993B72B72 , Wang and Gibson 1993B73B73 ).Ē (from the paper by Kathy Niness.

A combination of prebiotic short- and long-chain inulin-type fructans enhances calcium absorption and bone mineralization in young adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Aug;82(2):471-6.

In general, the study demonstrated that oligofructose-enriched inulin at 5 % in the diet, and particularly at 10 % in the diet, caused relaxing-like effects, stimulated and increased the general activity and interest of the rats to the test environment. In addition, both doses of oligofructose-enriched inulin showed significant effects on learning discrimination in male rats, in comparison with the control diet. These results suggest that oligofructose-enriched inulin, particularly at the dose of 10 %, improves cognitive performances in the light extinction test and the well-being of male rats using the FOB. (Behavioural and cognitive effects of oligofructose-enriched inulin in rats. Br J Nutr. 2005 Apr;93 Suppl 1:S27-30.)

In Vivo. 2005 Jan-Feb;19(1):201-4.Possible adjuvant cancer therapy by two prebiotics--inulin or oligofructose.
Taper HS, Roberfroid MB
Dietary treatment with inulin or oligofructose incorporated in the basal diet for experimental animals: (I) reduced the incidence of mammary tumors induced in Sprague-Dawley rats by methylnitrosourea; (II) inhibited the growth of transplantable malignant tumors in mice; (III) decreased the incidence of lung metastases of a malignant tumor implanted intramuscularily in mice. (IV) Moroever, besides such cancer risk reduction effects, dietary treatment with inulin or oligofructose significantly potentiated the effects of subtherapeutic doses of six cytotoxic drugs commonly utilized in human cancer treatment. (V) The same prebiotics potentiated the effects of radiotherapy on solid form of TLT tumors to a statistically very high level. Such dietary treatment, with the inulin or oligofructose potentiating the effects of cancer therapy, might be introduced into classic protocols of human cancer treatment as a new, non-toxic and easily applicable adjuvant cancer therapy without any additional risk to patients.

Arch Pharm Res. 1998 Feb;21(1):54-61.
Inhibitory effects of Bifidobacterium spp. isolated from a healthy Korean on harmful enzymes of human intestinal microflora.

Park HY, Bae EA, Han MJ, Choi EC, Kim DH.

Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyung-Hee University, Seoul, Korea.

Five hundreds of bifidobacteria were isolated from a healthy Korean and the inhibitory effects of these isolated bacteria on harmful enzymes of human intestinal microflora were examined by cocultivation of the isolated bifidobacteria with E. coli or total human intestinal microflora. In comparison with the results of E. coli or intestinal microflora cultivation, Bifidobacterium breve K-110, B. breve K-111 and B. infantis K-525 effectively inhibited harmful enzymes (beta-glucuronidase and tryptophanase) of E. coli and lowered the pH of the culture media. Also they inhibited the harmful enzymes (beta-glucosidase, beta-glucuronidase, tryptophanase and urease) and ammonia production of intestinal microflora, and lowered pH of the culture media by increasing lactic acid bacteria of intestinal microflora. When these isolated bifidobacteria were administered on mice, fecal harmful enzymes were also inhibited. Among tested bifidobacteria, B. breve K-110 had the highest inhibitory effect of fecal harmful enzymes.

Kittycat

« Reply #174 on: 04/02/2006 01:25:39 »
Hello everyone,

Apparently there has been someone trying to cause trouble for me and others. They  are sending emails in my name, harassing  people, and trying to cause problems using other names in forums. Please don't open any emails from me.
I do not want anyone to get a computer virus. I apologize  for any inconvenience and I have alerted the moderator.

I unfortunately have to remove any access to my emails in order to avoid this being a problem for others. I don't know why someone would do this...nothing better to do than to try to disqualify me, make me look as bad as possible and hurt others in doing so?
You would think that someone that knows computers well enough to inflict harm like this would use their smarts to help others not do destructive things like this. Very desperate thing to do.
KC
« Last Edit: 04/02/2006 01:58:01 by Kittycat »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #174 on: 04/02/2006 01:25:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums