The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Usefulness of Glyconutrients  (Read 291875 times)

Kittycat

Re: Usefulness of Glyconutrients
« Reply #175 on: 04/02/2006 03:09:11 »
Update:
 After speaking with my husband, he has expressed concern regarding my involvement in forums and no longer wants me to be involved.
My involvement has brought about some sort of computer hacker that is using my IP and emailing files with my return address and reeking havoc in other forums.
My husband has asked me not to be involved at all since this has happened and he is concerned that someone has access to my computer somehow.
We may need to replace the mother board too. I hope this never happens to anyone else.
I hope that my involvement here has contributed to us learning more regarding glyconutrients.
A special enormous thanks to Neil for all his help in this forum.
Sorry that this has happened...better to play it safe.
PLEASE DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAILS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE FROM ME ESP. IF THEY HAVE A FILE ATTACHED...I DID NOT EMAIL YOU ANYTHING.
God bless you all! KC

We are Fearfully and Wonderfully made

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 04/02/2006 08:09:46 »
Hello again,

Now that you have had the opportunity to chew on the idea of inulin There is more to be said.  Inulin can have benefits of improving balance of bifidobacteria, and it can increase butyrate, but it doesn't have the same benefits as some of the other glyconutrients...WHY? Because it is fructose.

Funny thing about bacteria, viruses, yeasts, and even cancer cells. They seem to have polysaccharides all over them. Most of these are mannans (mannose chains) or galactans(galactose chains). Why is this important???

(Please, anyone who wants the references to what I am about to write, e-mail me and I will forward them to you)

In simple language, your body, especially your intestines (which come in contact with more microorganisms than anywhere in your body) have a lot of "receptors" that are on the look out for the chains of sugars found on these pathogens (disease causing organims). These receptors are called "Lectins". They are literally glycoproteins which can attach to certain chains of sugars. Two of the most important are the "Mannan Binding Lectin" and "Galectin" which bind Chains of Mannose, or chains of galactose, respectively.

For example, once a mannan binding lectin (MBL) attaches to a yeast cell wall (which contains a mannose polysaccharide) it activates certain immune functions. If a whole lot of MBL's attach to yeasts, then there is more immune activation, and production of certain other chemicals (cytokines) that have other benefits as well.

The same is true of Galectins. Galectin-1 for example has been shown to be immunomodulatory, inhibit inflammation, and stimulate nerve tissue regeneration, regulate immune homeostasis (important in allergy and auto-immune diseases) as well as more. (see below, I will post some of the references at the end of the post).

1. HOW IS THIS IMPORTANT IN GLYCONUTRIENTS?
2. HOW CAN INULIN MAGNIFY THIS EFFECT?

Arabinogalactan and Manapol (Acemannan) have already been shown to stimulate certain aspects of the immune system. Manapol is a polysaccharide made out of chains of mannose, similar to the chains of mannose found on various micro-organisms. So, lets say you take a dose of this substance. The MBL's in your intestines attach to these chains and mistakenly think "OH NO MASSIVE INFECTION, NEED TO ACTIVATE" and that stimulates the immune sytem to activate by various mechanism, including the production of messenger chemicals called "cytokines". So your immune system is stimulated, but Manapol doesn't cause any disease like yeasts and other microorganisms, so your immune system can go off and work on any other problems that it has been ignoring.

HOW DOES INULIN HELP??

By a few factors, but here is an important one. The main short-chain fatty acid produced by bacteria eating inulin is butyrate. Butyrate has many important effects on the intestines and the human body, but the one that really is important here is that butyrate increases Galectin-1 gene expression by 8 to 18 times!

So inulin increases butyrate which increases the galectin-1 and so more galectin-1 binds chains of galactose as found in Arabinogalactan, which magnifies the effects of Arabinogalactan on the immune system, and many other areas. I have seen no studies to show if similar effects are found on the MBL's, but it is possible.

In the case of candida overgrowth, for example, the benefits of inulin, and like substances, is that certain strains of bifidobacteria and lactobacillus (which become the dominant micro-organism when taking inulin), actually kill certain yeasts, such as candida. Also, Short-Chain Fatty Acids, produced by these bacteria decrease the pH in the colon, which makes it difficult for yeast to live. Inulin also has been shown to significantly decrease the ammonia produced in the colon. Ammonia is a fertilizer for plants, such as yeasts, so less ammonia, less food for yeasts. This alone in beneficial, but yeasts are stubborn.

Candida has two forms, think of it as a plant, with a bud form in the colon, and roots (called hyphae) which attach and penetrate. Kill the plant in the colon, and the roots still go on living. Inulin helps kill the weeds in your colon, but not in the colon wall. The arabinogalactan and acemannan stimulate the immune system, within the colon wall, and the roots get eaten. Hence the combination works better than any one alone. (no wonder women with chronic recurring yeast infections love glyconutrients).

And that is just one example. When you look at the large amount of evidence that galectin-1 can help modulate auto-immune disease, and that inulin leads to increase butyrate, which increases galectin-1 gene expression, and arabinogalactan binds and activates the galectin-1, you can start seeing how these combinations can help in things like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, etc. Same concept with nerve diseases/damage.(see some of the references listed at the end).

So the whole combination again, becomes greater than the whole.

{I personally don't think gum Tragacanth or Gum Ghatti, even though they are soluble fiber also, would have as good benefits without the other glyconutrients either.  Could one replace them in the recipe with inulin and still get the same effects as Ambrotose?  Hmmm?)

Now, what if you could give bifidobacteria and inulin at the same time so that the bacteria could have food at the beginning of the digestive system, so more of them would live, and so that butyrate could begin having direct effects on the small intestine rather than mostly being produced in the large intestine. That would be great. It is the concept of SYNBIOTICS, and there is some important research on this as well, But it will have to wait for another post. (gotta give you time to let it soak in).

Let me know what you think. Lets discuss it.

Duane
(some of the references below)

"Butyrate regulation of glycosylation-related gene expression: evidence for galectin-1 upregulation in human intestinal epithelial goblet cells." Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Dec 17;325(3):1044-51.
"Transcriptional regulation by butyrate of mouse galectin-1 gene in embryonal carcinoma cells." Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999 Jan 18;1444(1):85-91

Dimeric galectin-1 induces IL-10 production in T-lymphocytes: an important tool in the regulation of the immune response
Source: The Journal of Pathology, December 2004, vol. 204, no. 5, pp. 511-518(8)
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Abstract:

Galectin-1, a -galactoside binding protein that can occur as both a monomer and a homodimer... ...Administration of high concentrations of galectin-1 may be a useful tool in the treatment of T-cell-mediated diseases. (note from duane, certain hepatitis are "T-Cell mediated disease which is why I used glyconutrients for my sister with chronic Hepatitis C).

References concerning Galactin-1 and Autoimmune

“Galectin-1 had shown therapeutic activity against autoimmune disease in two experimental models, i.e., experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis (10) and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (11). However, the molecular mechanisms involved in these immunomodulatory properties still remain to be elucidated. In this context, hypotheses have been raised concerning the ability of galectin-1 to affect processes in T cell suppressor commitment (11) and in sensitization or deletion of Ag-specific T cells (10). On the basis of recent investigations, there is evidence for specific cell growth-inhibitory activity of galectin-1 (7, 8) and its implication in apoptosis of activated T cells (25) and a particular subset of immature thymocytes (26).”

(from The Journal of Immunology, 1998, 160: 4831-4840.

Activated Rat Macrophages Produce a Galectin-1-Like Protein That Induces Apoptosis of T Cells: Biochemical and Functional Characterization1

Gabriel A. Rabinovich2,*, María M. Iglesias , Nidia M. Modesti3, , Leonardo F. Castagna3, , Carlota Wolfenstein-Todel , Clelia M. Riera* and Claudia E. Sotomayor*)
10. Levi, G., R. Tarrab-Hazdai, V. I. Teichberg. 1983. Prevention and therapy with electrolectin of experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis in rabbits. Eur. J. Immunol. 13:500.[Medline]
11. Offner, H., B. Celnik, T. S. Bringman, D. Casentini-Borocz, G. E. Nedwin, A. Vandenbark. 1990. Recombinant human ß-galactoside binding lectin suppresses clinical and histological signs of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J. Neuroimmunol. 28:177.[Medline]

REGULATION OF IMMUNE HOMEOSTASIS:ROLE OF SECRETED AND INTRACELLULAR GALECTIN-1
“…Although galectin-1 is widely expressed in a large number of tissues and fulfills pleiotropic extracellular functions, it specifically acts on the immune response by preventing autoimmune and inflammatory processes….”

http://www.szbk.hu/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=25 [nofollow]

Regulation of Immune Responses by Galectins

…Possibly because of galectin-1's apoptotic nature, the introduction of galectin-1 in various autoimmune model systems results in the amelioration of clinical symptoms…

http://www.gak.co.jp/FCCA/glycoword/ISA03/IS-A03E.html [nofollow]

Hepatology
Volume 31, Issue 2 , Pages 399 - 406
Galectin-1 exerts immunomodulatory and protective effects on concanavalin a-induced hepatitis in mice Luca Santucci, M.D., Ph.D. 1 *, Stefano Fiorucci 1, Francesco Cammilleri 1, Giuseppe Servillo 2, Barbara Federici 1, Antonio Morelli 1

ABSTRACT

Galectin-1, an endogenous lectin with immunomodulatory activities, ...The present study suggests that galectin-1 is potentially useful in the treatment of T-cell-mediated human liver disorders. J Dairy Sci. 2005 Feb;88(2):766-75.
Immune parameters of dry cows fed mannan oligosaccharide and subsequent transfer of immunity to calves.
"...Results indicate that supplementation of MOS to cows during the dry period enhanced their immune response to rotavirus and tended to enhance the subsequent transfer of rotavirus antibodies to calves."

Galectin-1 suppresses experimental colitis in mice. Gastroenterology. 2003 May;124(5):1381-94 "...CONCLUSION: Collectively, these data show that hrGAL-1 exerts protective and immunomodulatory activity in TNBS-induced colitis and it might be effective in the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases."

Galectin-1 plays essential roles in adult mammalian nervous tissues. Roles of oxidized galectin-1. Glycoconj J. 2004;19(7-9):479-89.

Identification of oxidized galectin-1 as an initial repair regulatory factor after axotomy in peripheral nerves. Neurosci Res. 2000 Oct;38(2):131-7.

Oxidized galectin-1 stimulates macrophages to promote axonal regeneration in peripheral nerves after axotomy. J Neurosci. 2004 Feb 25;24(8):1873-80

Galectin-1 in regenerating motoneurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2004 Dec;20(11):2872-80.

Galectin-1 expression correlates with the regenerative potential of rubrospinal and spinal motoneurons. Neuroscience. 2004;128(4):713-9

Distribution of the galectin-1 mRNA in the rat nervous system: its transient upregulation in rat facial motor neurons after facial nerve axotomy. Neuroscience. 2004;125(1):171-8.

(If anyone reads this far) E-mail me if you want more. I never realize how much information I have collected until I try and list it or read through it again. At least I am trying to be thorough.

Offline Calm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 07/02/2006 01:59:53 »
Hi, still reading this last page, quite a bit of info to get through.  But wanted to say how sorry I am that this has happened to you, Kittycat.  Thanks for the warning!  I haven't had any emails in your name, but I have had emails that have the subject "none" and there is nothing in the content.  My husband told me to delete them as soon as I get them, but I am curious as to what the heck they are.  Wrong forum, I know, but anyone have any idea what that is?  I'm getting them frequently, almost every day, and only since the new year.  I don't even think my email is public on this forum, actually.

Offline Calm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 07/02/2006 02:03:11 »
Ok, that's great stuff, Duane, and I'm going to send a link for a friend to read it.  Strangely, I've been looking into lectins lately, so this is another sign I should have a closer look. Thanks.

Offline Ged

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 12/02/2006 08:26:45 »
I have been reading your posts and came across a website of a company that sounds like it has done much of what you are talking about.  The owner says that he has gotten threatening letters from Mannatech because of what he has done with glyconutrients.

They have links to alot of research and claimes that his glyconutrients called glycomannan is being used in a oncology clinical trial.

here is the website newbielink:http://www.glycomannan.com/ [nonactive]  they have some interesting stuff.

They also have a link to buy it but no distributorship or multi-level which I thought was kind of strange.  I don't see how they will make it  without multi-level marketing of some kind but the owner says he  is hoping to bring glyconutrients to the level of a respected healthcare alternative not just a get rich quick scheme.  They say that their Lab is even registered with the FDA whatever that means.

What was of primary interest to me is thier use of specific polysaccharides - which occur in the form of Beta-D-glucans bound to amino acids found in concentrates of certain mushrooms particularly the ****ake and reishi.  

They also make claims of Kamut grass concentrate being able to help activate the glyconutrients when taken together, but I could find no science to anywhere to really back up this claim.

All in all though an interesting development on the glyconutrient front.

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 12/02/2006 17:14:53 »
From the glycomannan web site:

"Scientists have discovered that our modern diet is missing some very vital nutrients. Surprisingly enough, these missinig nutrients are called sugars!"

Has there ever been a proper study that actually supports this claim? Could someone give me a link, please?

Thanks!

Greg

Offline bossless

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 12/02/2006 23:50:29 »
I came across this forum in search for information about glyconutrients.  Duane, I thank you the most for helping me to understand what Mannatech is all about in this arena.  Your information seems to be well researched and backed up by recognized scientific resources.  More so than Mannatech.  

It seems to me with the success that Mannatech is having with its glyconutrient products that there would be other similar products provided by reputable manufacturers that would be available at health food stores such as GNC.  Any comment?

Offline littletiebear

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 15/02/2006 06:44:52 »
Mannatechers -
Just wanted to say thanks for all the stuff you put my family through the last month of my moms life. I especially enjoyed when you called my dad up at the hotel the night before she went in for brain surgery and told him "don't do the surgery, just call it off and take the glyconutrients". With your high school education I'm sure you are well qualified to make such medical suggestions. It was brilliant to jump in at that moment, when they were so vulnerable and in such emotional turmoil. I love how you convinced my dad to spend over a thousand dollars to buy into the company because "the products are really going to pay for themselves" and "of course this going to save her life". How fast it moved from saving my moms life to getting them into the business. I really enjoyed how you used your position as friend to convince us that you just honestly cared. She is dead and of course I am angry. This is a dangerous game you people are playing, right up there with crack dealers and female slave trafficking. Yes we were fools, we were desperate. We were not looking for a miracle drug, but you were looking for desperate people. I'm not angry that it did not save her life, I am angry about every minute that you stole from my families precious time.

Peoples health is not something you just throw around like you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. If you are not a PHD, MD in medicine and biology than keep your mouth shut about what people need for their bodies.

If you or someone you know is dying than please do not turn to one of these people that push this stuff like heroin on a desperate junky. Rather, when they turn to you, as they have an eye for desperate souls, run fast and do not let their toxic mouths be opened.

How angry you must feel mannatechers that I speak this way, for I dought you would have sadness for the loss of my mother.

I do not wish to pursuade you all from this product only to give a caution and personal note on what damaging things have happend because of the people involved. As for the product itself, well, it is too tainted with my moms blood for me to honestly consider it now. I hope nobody else has to go through this like we did.

Offline sbyte

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anti-age.biz
« Reply #183 on: 18/02/2006 10:57:52 »
Hey, This looks like the place for a real two way disscussion
of glyco-nutrients.  Almost everywhere I look there is a lot of hype.
I am a user of the mannatech products.  Over all, I am satisfied with the results I get compaired to other supplements such as vitamins.  I am not overly taxed phisiologicly. Before taking the optimal health system I was more tired all the time than now. Have had very gradual improvements in my well being.  Am more happy now.  I think I was depressed before.

I've been researching the products and have some questions about dosage.
How do you arrive at the correct amount to take.  Is there any blood serum markers?  If fresh raw foods contain Glyconutrients then how much does an averge apple, carrot or tomato have compaired to the capsul of say ambrotose?  Surely there is quantitative analysis of the chemical makeup being done. Who wants to publish the findings? Why not?

Offline Not2B4Gotten

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.not2b4gotten.com
« Reply #184 on: 24/02/2006 04:48:22 »
Glyconutrients are nutrients missing from our modern diets that our body must have to repair and rebuild.  Its the building blocks for cellular communication.  There are 200 sugars found in nature, but glyconutrients are 8 essential sugars that go directly to the protein surface of each and every cell in our bodies to form a complex system for cellular communication, the "operating system" of the body.  

The body will heal itself if given the proper tools to do so.  So therefore, all disease conditions can improve with proper nutrition.

Check out:

Sugars That Heal - Dr. Emil I. Mondoa, MD and Mindy Kitei

Maggots, Wonder Drugs, Transplants & Genomes - Memoirs of an Old Doctor Whose Career Has Spanned It All - Rayburne W. Goen, MD

The Healing Power of 8 Sugars - An Amazing Breakthrough in Nutrition, Science and Medicine - What Doctors want YOU to know about Glyconutrients...The 8 Sugars Vital to Your Health - Compiled and Edited by Allan C. Somersall, PhD, MD

I've been studying glycobiology and glyconutrients for over a year now and I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.  

The truth shall set you free! ~ Blessings, Joy

Joy
Not2B4Gotten.com

Offline Not2B4Gotten

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.not2b4gotten.com
« Reply #185 on: 24/02/2006 04:48:58 »
Glyconutrients are nutrients missing from our modern diets that our body must have to repair and rebuild.  Its the building blocks for cellular communication.  There are 200 sugars found in nature, but glyconutrients are 8 essential sugars that go directly to the protein surface of each and every cell in our bodies to form a complex system for cellular communication, the "operating system" of the body.  

The body will heal itself if given the proper tools to do so.  So therefore, all disease conditions can improve with proper nutrition.

Check out:

Sugars That Heal - Dr. Emil I. Mondoa, MD and Mindy Kitei

Maggots, Wonder Drugs, Transplants & Genomes - Memoirs of an Old Doctor Whose Career Has Spanned It All - Rayburne W. Goen, MD

The Healing Power of 8 Sugars - An Amazing Breakthrough in Nutrition, Science and Medicine - What Doctors want YOU to know about Glyconutrients...The 8 Sugars Vital to Your Health - Compiled and Edited by Allan C. Somersall, PhD, MD

I've been studying glycobiology and glyconutrients for over a year now and I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.  

The truth shall set you free! ~ Blessings, Joy

Joy
Not2B4Gotten.com

Offline bossless

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 24/02/2006 15:11:35 »
Joy, if the body generates on its own the essential sugars, then why is it necessary to consume these sugars?  Are you suggesting that we need to consume these sugars in our diets?  I would think that good nutrition is necessary so that the body functions properly, but I don't think that necessitates these monosaccarides in our diets.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 24/02/2006 19:04:01 »
You are correct.  We do not need the "monosaccharides" (unless we have a genetic dysfunction making them), and very little, if any, of these monosaccharides are derived from the ingredients in "glyconutrient" supplements.  

Even Bill McAnalley, the person who began this craze, states that he estimates only about 20% of the monosaccharides that make up these ingredients gets absorbed (direct face-to-face personal communication with him) though there isn't any published research to support any get absorbed, or that they aren't all just converted to glucose soon thereafter.  

Deficient from our diets?  Vitamins and minerals, and even essential amino acids can be deficient from our diets, but these sugars are made by our bodies in sufficient amounts every day.  You can't be deficient in something your body efficiently makes, and no "deficiency" of these sugars has ever been documented except in those people that have a genetic inability to synthesize them.

Do these "glyconutrients" work?  Yes, but not because of the individual sugars getting absorbed, but because of the the effects of the whole chain of these sugars, and by MANY mechanisms, not just by one.  Many of these mechanisms have already been elucidated in this forum and in the curezone.com forum.  So I won't reiterate them now.  But take a look.  I think you will be impressed, even when you get past the marketing hype of the MLM company.  Especially when you realize you can get the ingredients yourself much cheaper if you want to try them.

Duane

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 24/02/2006 22:13:18 »
>and no "deficiency" of these sugars has ever been documented except in those people that have a genetic inability to synthesize them.

This has been one of my questions for some time now. Where do proponents of glyconutrients get the idea that our modern diet is deficient in this respect? I have been unable to locate any study that even suggests it. I did, however, find a study that compares the presence of some nutrients (protein, Ca, P, Fe, riboflavin and ascorbic acid) in some vegetables harvested in 1999 to the levels found in 1950:

newbielink:http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/6/669 [nonactive]

It would be more than a stretch to use this study as evidence for the sugar deficiency, the way I see it. Can any of the "associates" who participate on this forum point out any other documentation?

Thanks!

Greg

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 25/02/2006 06:04:35 »
The mistaken assumption of these substances being deficient in our diet is outlined in the paper "Is Saccharide Supplementation Necessary" at:  http://www.glycoscience.com/glycoscience/start_frames.wm?FILENAME=D008 [nofollow]

This paper may impress the lay public, but is grossly mistaken in many of its suppositions when trying to be convincing that we need to supplement our diet with individual saccharides.

One of the main mistakes it makes is to compare these substances with vitamins and minerals.  The major difference is that vitamins and minerals cannot be made by your body, the saccharides can.  There are many other mistaken and irrelevent assumptions made by this paper as well.  Basically, there is no support that we need the individual saccharides.

However, realize that the ingredients in their supplement are NOT the individual saccharides.  They are complex, non-digestible chains of the sugars, that are considered dietary fiber.  And more and more research is showing that both soluble and insoluble fibers have many important benefits in health, and that we do not get enough in our diet.  

Also, different fibers can have different benefits/effects on health, so a combination is better than just adding one kind to your cereal in the morning.  This is where Mannatech's supplement has been beneficial (though there are many more economical and effective alternatives)  These fibers can stimulate the immune system, eliminate opportunistic microorganisms, improve blood-sugar levels, decrease cholesterol, improve liver function, improve healing, prevent certain cancers, etc.  (see previous posts on this forum and the curezone.com forum).

So there is the alternative view to the marketing hype.

Duane

Offline alicilene

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 30/03/2006 06:05:13 »

I am so disapointed when I read about people who are so mistrusting of products that can really help them,  I wonder if they were in as much pain themselves as others are who use glyconutrients, if maybe they would be a little more ready to use it themselves.   The problem with Drs. who don't like it, is that they don't want people to find a way to get better themselves.  And honestly most of them don't know that much about nutrition.  I have had back surgery, been in tremendous pain,  I have steel rods and cages with screws in my back,  I had fibromyalgia, severe arthritis, osteoporosis, tumors in one breast, and a cholesteral level that stayed between 350 and 400 at all time.  So yes I was desperate, and skeptical, because I had bought all kinds of "herbs" and products in the past that just wasted my money.  But my friend talked me into the glyconutrients, so I started taking Advanced Ambrotose in Sept of 05,  I went in Feb of 06 to get my yearly checkup,  (meanwhile I had quit taking my cholesteral meds, and fosomax (osteoporosis meds) back in Sept.  However I don't advise that for anyone.  I did it because the meds were making me sick,  Anyhow to make a long story short, I got back all my tests, and the bone scan shows that I have the bones of a 30 year old woman now, and said I no longer have osteoporosis, my cholesteral dropped from 367 down to 236,  My arthritis pain and the pain in my back has virtually disapered.   I would challenge any Dr. or hospital to tell me that my body just healed itself without the help of glyconutrients.  I will always be on them, because finally at 49 years old, I feel like I have my life back.  What I pay for the product is not only worth it,  but is made up for due to the fact that I no longer have to be on some of my meds.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 01/04/2006 04:15:22 »
We are not mistrusting of the supplements, they work wonderfully, but we mistrust the companies that sell them.  

Because these supplements worked for you, you probably believe that it was because that you absorbed 8 sugars that helped your body heal itself.  However, while the supplement does work, it had nothing to do with 8 sugars being absorbed.  In fact there is no research showing you absorb any sugars from these substances, or that they have even increased even one glycoprotein, or even if a glycoprotein was increased, that it had anything to do with helping your symptoms.  

However, virtually all of your symptoms/problems that you described can easily be shown to be effected positively by other mechanisms.  For example, did you know that soluble fibers (like the ingredients in these supplements) have been shown to significantly increase the absorption of calcium, and are being investigated for their use in treating osteoporosis?  

Yes the supplements work.  We take them and highly recommend them.  However, since the main company doesn't actually make these ingredients, but only buys them from other companies, mixes them and then sells them for a ridiculous price, it is much cheaper to buy the ingredients separately and mix it your self.  Same results, but a 4 months supply for the price of one from that company.

Glad you are doing well.  Glyconutrients are great.

Duane

Offline bahamamama

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 01/04/2006 19:17:07 »
Just read this whole thread and was amazed at the negative responses to Duane!  He was always clear and succint in his posts.

Duane, I for one appreciate your candor and scientific responses.  I never thought you disliked glyconutrients, only the way they were being falsely marketed by a certain company.

I was surprised that you had to repeat this over and over and over again.

I'm heading over to curezone to see what else has been discussed.

Take care,

Julieanne

Offline starslayer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 03/04/2006 07:54:04 »
In my opinion, Mannatech's supplements are worthwhile, however the way that they market these prodeucts gets them horrible press, due to greedy sellers who make false claims. I'm sure that many of the sellers are honest people who really are trying to make in difference, but if Mannatech would have just done a normal routine and marketed their products through GNC and such, they would be not have the bad press that they have today. The only reason for the bad press and sceptisism is the fact that they rely on network marketing, and have have so many sellers who want your money and nothing more.

The products do work, and the prices are rediculous, but hopefully sometime soon the will be an alternate solution that will educate people without being greedy or pushy.

Offline bossless

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 04/04/2006 03:50:03 »
Starslayer, I think you are missing the point.  It is the company, Mannatech, that has caused the problem by setting up a false premise of how their glyconutrients work.  Sure, you will have some bad apples in netrwork marketing as you do in all endeavors.  However, network marketing in and of itself is not the problem.  Sometimes it can be individuals letting greed get ahead of the truth that is the problem, but in this case it is the company that is the primary problem, not the product, network marketing, or the individuals, even though there is some mix of all of this.  If this product were placed in GNC with the same explanation of how it works it would be just as misleading as it is by a network marketing company.

Offline marathoner

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.avantrex.com
« Reply #195 on: 23/04/2006 13:03:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by marathoner

Some who disparage glyconutrient supplements claim the saccharides are not assimilated.  However, radioactive tracer studies have shown oral ingestion of mannose leads to cellular glycosylation:
 Alton G;Hasilik M;Niehues R;Panneerselvam K;Etchison JR;Fana F;Freeze HH;. Direct utilization of mannose for mammalian glycoprotein biosynthesis. Glycobiology. 1998; 8: 285-295.
And many studies show beneficial clinical effects of glyconutrient supplementation.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 23/04/2006 16:36:53 »
You will note that the study that you list concerns "mannose".  The mannose in Mannatech's product is Acemannan, a beta-linked chain of Mannose molecules.  In order for the mannose to be absorbed, the Acemannan would haveto be broken down into individual mannose molecules, and your body does not make the enzyme to do that in your intestine.  

The micro-organisms in your large intestine can break it down, so that they can digest the mannose, and during this process some mannose may be absorbed, but the amount would be extremely small - if at all.  Most of it would be used by the micro-organisms and converted to Short-Chain Fatty Acids.  (which are beneficial)

However, the whole acemannan molecule is similar to the chains of saccharides on the cell walls of many micro-organisms, such as yeasts.  Your the acemannan binds to certain receptors in the intestine and your body reacts as if it has high levels of negative micro-organisms, stimulating the immune system.  

Short-chain fatty acids and stimulating immune system via receptors within your intestine are just two of the many, many mechanisms that can be shown to be working here.  Current research, however, does not support that the effects of these substances have anything to do with absorbing these sugars that your body can readily synthesize.

We don't disparage the supplement.  They do work.  We disparage the faulty explanation of their mechanism of action that was developed to sell the product.

If you go to glycoscience.com, and look at the two latest articles in their Glycoscience journal, many of these alternative mechanisms that we have been listing for the last year (or more) are now beginning to be addressed by this company.  I would not be surprised if eventually the 8 sugar hypothesis is dropped entirely as more of the actual research is published showing no effects of these supplements on glycoconjugates.

As we have said before, it works, just not how Mannatech is telling everyone it works.  AND, you can easily make your own with same or better benefits for a fraction of the price.  Just go to:

http://www.curezone.com/forums/m.asp?f=223&i=2024 [nofollow]

Duane

Offline bossless

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 26/04/2006 13:49:32 »
Duane, since this supplement works so well why doesn't some company provide a less expensive version similar to your homemade recipe without all the bogus marketing about the 8 sugars healing power?  Can you answer this?

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 27/04/2006 05:32:37 »
I don't know why.

I know that Mannatech is now suing Glycobiotics for patent infringement, so I think you will see less and less knock-offs.  One of the ways that these companies could avoid this would be to market their combination of ingredients with information on the actual mechanisms and not mentioning the 8 sugar hypothesis.

I have talked to some of the people who make some of these competing products, and shared with them the information about the faulty science of the 8 sugar hypothesis, and while they are very interested, and cannot find any evidence to support it, the 8 sugar hypothesis is very easy to market, and people are familiar with it...even if it is basically a lie.

I have never talked to one of the people at these companies that actually took the time to research the validity of Mannatechs claims before I informed them of the lack of scientific support.  They had seen the research listed by Mannatech's websites on the individual sugars and it never occurred to them that those sugars wouldn't be available from the ingredients Mannatech uses.

You will note, however, that Mannatech's glycoscience.com website has the "Glycoscience and Nutrition Journal" and that the last two articles listed in this journal are about the effects of these substances on the intestines, and the importance of probiotics.  Basically they reiterate the mechanisms that we have been stating for over the last year.  As more research comes out showing their 8 sugar hypotheses to be wrong, they will slowly shift towards the explanations we have been pointing out.  They have already started.  But they have to take it slow since their blind faithful will not take the change in explanation easily.  

Did that answer the question?

Duane

Offline bossless

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 07/05/2006 02:51:21 »
I think you basically answered the question.  In one word it is ignorance.  Thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #199 on: 07/05/2006 02:51:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums