The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Usefulness of Glyconutrients  (Read 292319 times)

Offline JerrodP

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Usefulness of Glyconutrients
« Reply #200 on: 11/05/2006 22:40:25 »
::::* enlargement of a number of T-cells and increasing of major histocompatibility complex (MHC-II) molecule on the surface of an antigen-presenting cells of spleen, mesenteric lymph nodes, thymus was noted::::::

If this is true, then  this product would be devastating effects on someone with an autoimmune disease, where a person makes too many T-Cells that then destroy parts of the body.

I'll make sure to warn my autoimmune friends on another discussion board about this.

Thanks!

Offline JerrodP

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 11/05/2006 22:44:22 »
One last thing...Kittycat mentions that this product includes sugars that are only found in breastmilk.  And then she claims that human adults need to ingest this sugar or they'll get sick?

Is she trying to say that God wanted humans to continue drinking breastmilk - even as adults?

Sounds really crazy to me. I have a hard time believing that.

Offline Smith

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 15/05/2006 23:33:57 »
I recently heard about the products offered by Mannatech from a relative of mine who suggested that I try them for my numerous health issues, which are all related to chronic kidney disease. I received a transplant a year ago, and it is working well at present, but there are numerous side effects from the transplant medications, which include steroids (prednisone, 10mg/day) and others that are intended to suppress the body's immune system from attacking the transplant, medications that I will have to take as long as I have the transplant. There are also other issues, including Hepatitis C (which I contracted from a previous transplant), bone and skin deterioration, high blood pressure, increased sensitivity to viruses and germs, etc. I read through this entire thread, as well as some of the links that have been posted, but I don't see anything that answers my primary question, which is: If ambrotose helps to boost the immune system, wouldn't it therefore be harmful to a transplanted organ? The only term that I have seen on here that I recognize is the reference to strengthened or enlarged T-cells, which the medication I currently take is designed to suppress. That would seem to be one contraindication, even though the relative I spoke to says there are no known drug interactions with ambrotose. "No known" doesn't mean, however, that there aren't any. Any input would be appreciated.

Offline artvandyck

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 05/06/2006 05:21:30 »
I am a new poster to this forum. I have been busy today reading all the discussion re: glconutrients etc. My wife and i have been using Mannatech products for approximately 1 month. I use Ambrotose plus some of the other recommended products, my wife has been using only the Ambrotose. My wife suffers from cluster migraines, most of which are triggered by various food allergies but can also be triggered by perfumes, stress, cigarette smoke, even changes in air pressure. For many months now she has been taking therapeutic doses of quercetin and other similar products on the advice of her naturopath doctor in order to heal what is presumed to be a pretty compromised digestive system and hence a defective immune system. We are desperate to find a solution to the migraines. Anyone who has ever had these or watched a loved one in agony during an episode will understand the desperation. So Ambrotose is the latest attempt. After one month she is stopping the use of Ambrotose. In the last few weeks she has had a record number of migraines and the only reason we can come up with is the use of Ambrotose. We don't know what it is about the product that may be causing this but would be interested to hear from anyone out there who may have had similar experiences. Also if Duane of some of the other more thoughtful posters might have some insight as to why that would be greatly appreciated. We will continue to search for something that will give her immune system and digestive system a healing boost without making her sick like the Ambrotose has. Maybe we'll try the Limu Moui drink next.
Art

Offline Miss4AGZE

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 06/06/2006 13:05:02 »
First time on forum but glad I found it.  I had worked in Pharmacy for 8 years and had a friend introduce me to the Mannatech products(since left as I could not continue giving the general population false hope or convincing those that were well, they were not).

After also reading all the information they load you up with (the mannatech ppl), and not coming across any actual evidence that proved the effectiveness of 'their' product - decided not to get involved.  It is now a year and some later and I am still the victim of harrassment by an individual intent on 'converting' me.  I too also had false claims of wellness put forward to me.  It was funnily enough always 'a friend' or 'a friend of a friend' that found good results with these products (often a Lupus sufferer or HIV patient).  Again, like Duane I am not disputing the fact that Glyconutrients work.  I think they do.  But personally, I think the delivery system of the Mannatech Glyconutrients is flawed.  Not only the way the product is absorbed into the body (or is it?) but their sales people seem to appear as if they were in cults.  And although not religious I can't believe that people claim this is the work of God.  I'm sure he'd completely justify the excessive amount of money it costs for this product.  Some people think any money is worth your health and i'm sure if it was for sale - i'd buy it.  But one thing I find horribly wrong is telling people it will reverse terminal illness.  People are free to try any alternative/modern medicine they like - I recommend it, hell I wouldnt give up just like that. But making false claims about false studies to extort exhuberant amounts of money from people (that even pharmaceutical companies are careful not to do) really does take the cake. Sending pictures of a deceased child around the world - claiming to have saved his life just sickens me to the stomach.  

If you want to take glyconutrients - awesome.  Just be selective about your sources.  If your health is worth investing in then make your money count for something.  Some people say they dont have the time to do this? Well, your time is free.  If your health or your families health is worthy of it - then use your time on something that will count

Only one word springs to my mind when someone mentions Mannatech - and that's Greed. Hmm isnt that one of the 7 sins? :)  

Go Glyco !! :D

P.S.  I can't believe I purchased an Ab King Pro Haha

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 12/06/2006 02:04:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ylide

Here's the deal:  Your body can synthesize any saccharide it requires from protein intake.  There is no such thing as an essential sugar.  So, unless you have a genetic mutation which alters an enzyme that catalyzes one of the synthetic pathways from amino acid to a particular sugar, most glyconutrients are a waste of your money.  

Our bodies will convert excess amino acids, like glutamine, to glucose, a process known as gluconeogenesis. This process is utilized for energy production.

The nutrients that are the focus of this forum however, are not a part of this metabolic pathway. The monosaccharides that make up the the glycoforms on the cells surface must either be acquired in the diet or the body must manufacture them via enzymatic pathways. These pathways require numerous amounts a vitamins, minerals, enzymes and a tremendous amount of energy.

These pathways can breakdown due to stress, toxins, oxidants, etc. that may cause these structures to be misformed on the cells surface, leaving the cell vulnerable to infection, distruction by ones own immune cells, or may even lead to an increase in cell replication as seen in cancer.

As for the diet, be careful of the choices you make. Most commercial produce is grown in nutrient deficient soils that utilize synthetic fertilizers, sprayed with pesticides, green harvested and then sprayed with synthetic plant hormones to initiate the ripening process.

Whenever possible buy Organic or from your local Farmer's Market and look for "vine-ripened" produce. Phytonutrients and sugars are not fully produced unless fruits and vegetables are allowed to ripen on the plant. Just eat as well as you possibly can.

I want to leave this post at that. The choice to use dietary supplements must be left up to the individual and his or her health practitioner.

I wish you all Vibrant Health...

Melanie

Offline grace2succeed

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 12/06/2006 07:20:16 »
I read the previous threads ... and it seems like there is a bit of misinformation being passed on. Quite a bit of confusing babble.

The Science behind Glyconutrition is unquestionable. The problem with an individual acheiving expected results is not.

Bottom line, the Body was designed to heal itself. When an individual chooses to give the body what it needs to health itself, the body will respond accordingly. There is plenty of evidence to support this fact.

The two greatest deterrents to genuine recovery from physical ailments are misinformation (ignorance) and laziness (indifference).

The greatest ignorance our medical community stumbles over is how do they engage, enhance, in vigor the body's own defense system to heal itself. The immune system was designed by God to handle cancer, viruses, bacteria's, poisons, injuries and to rebuild itself on a daily basis. Glyconutrients facilitate cell to cell communication, which modulates the immune system. When it is too aggressive, it pulls the reins back, when it's too passive (due to lack of clear cell to cell communication) it bumps up the production of needed resources. That why is works for both immune diseases and auto-immune diseases as stated below in the United States Patent.

Every prescription a physician prescribes for a patient by definition is a poison, and as a result will inhibit rather than enhance the body's own ability to heal itself.

Drug Therapy (which only focuses on Symptom Care) does not even begin to ask the question, what does the body need to heal itself. Instead, when a patient comes into the office with a symptom the doctor looks up in the drug book what poison he "should" prescribe to address the symptom ... all the while knowing that this drug may cause more symptoms, and may cause the patient more necessary visits to the doctor's office before real relief comes to the patient. Many, many drugs supplied by the pharmaceutical companies are designed to be needed for the rest of one's life. This is capitalism in it's finest refinement. The medical community has a greater vested interest in keeping people from getting well, than it does in curing them. Can someone say, "Conflict of Interest"? For every healed patient a doctor treats, he loses a lifetime customer. And the drug company loses it guaranteed stream of income. And that wouldn't exactly make their investors happy ... and so on.

The Alternative to symptom care is whole life health care. Treating the Body as a whole and giving it everything it needs to overcome any attack that it is experiencing.

Glyconutrition is not magic. It is not a quick fix. It is not and does not claim to work independently of other vital nutritional therapies.

But many have found relief and genuine health who were dead serious about their health because for them it was a life or death decision, and they wanted to choose life (but were told by their medical doctors, "there is nothing more medical science can do for you," and were given less than a couple months to live. BTW--Mannatech has very specific and very realistic "Fighting for your life dosages" of nutritional supplements, even using some that are not sold by their company. And from which they receive no kick back).

My challenge to anyone who is skeptical of Mannatech's track record is to show me the list of people any other company's products have on restoring health in the list below ... and then compare notes. My only concern in the comparison is over all effectiveness. How many lives were truly saved. I know mine has been redeemed. I know others that have also. And I know I never received the results I expected from many others products that proclaimed to be effective but produced no immediate and no lasting effect on my health conditions.

If there is a better company with a better verifiable track record please let me know about it, because I truly want to know about it. Getting results is what matters and helping people restore their health in the most practical and cost effective manner possible, is what we should all be helping each other do ... and for that I am grateful to the website ... and everyone's involvement and opinions.

These people decided to choose a different course, to rid their bodies and environment of the known toxins and to offer their bodies a fighting chance by providing it with a power packed supply of glyconutrients, phyto-nutrients, phyto-sterols, anti-oxidants, pure clean enhance drinking water, and clean air. These people who were not expected to live walked out of their hospital beds and back to work and pain free in a couple months time. Several individuals come to mind that followed this scenario.

I know it's worked for autism, down syndrome, migranes, ADD, ADHD, of which I am one, and other mental and nuerological disorders.

Below I will cut a paste a list presented in the US patent office that lists a few of the improved conditions that was reveiwed by the US Patent Office before offering a Patent on the Ambrotose product.

As far as the previous greed statement indictment goes: I would have to agreed. That is the sad but true nature of the world we live in. That is the spirit of every company in the US ... materialism is the mother of invention it seems. But that hasn't blocked people from buying a new Ford, or Nike's or a Coke or a Bud Light or any of the other products people daily consume ... so I find it hard to level that indictment at a nutraceutical company--which isn't cutting the pie of profit as nearly as deep as these other companies. What's the production cost of a pair of Nike Air Jordan's in Korea? (am I dating myself)... 53 cents, if that?

The cost of nutritional therapy as opposed to the alternative is not even in the ball park. What's a couple thousand to spend on getting your life back, and giving your body the opportunity to heal itself?

People spend way more than that on their clothing budgets, vacation budgets, and car budgets every year. What's more valuable the clothes and makeup and stuff, or the car you drive around in to look good to your neighbors, or your body itself. People need to line up their priorities straight.

I know I've been long winded and I apologize for that ... I will close with the following Glyconutrient list of benefits ... hope this is helpful to someone:
TABLE 4 Disorders treated by administration of glyconutrients alone or in combination with one or more of phytonutrients, dioscorea complex and vitamins and minerals. NUTRITIONAL PRODUCTS DISORDER ADMINISTERED TREATMENT RESULTS aging process or A, B, C, D decreased body fat; optimal health plan increased muscle mass and bone density; serum bio- chemistry altered to more healthy values old stable strokes A, B, C restored sensory and muscular control multiple sclerosis A, B, C restored sensory and muscular control amyotrophic lateral A, B, C restored sensory and sclerosis muscular control muscular dystrophy A, B, C restored sensory and muscular control cerebral palsy A, B, C restored sensory and muscular control macular degeneration A, B, C sight restorations seizures A, B, C reduction or elimination of allergies and infections; coordination, learning, memory and appearance improvements Down's Syndrome A, B, C reduction or elimination of allergies & infections; coordination, learning, memory and appearance improvements systemic combined A, B, C antibody and T-cell immune deficiency function restoration syndrome Tay-Sachs A, B, C restoration of lost functions retinitis pigmentosis A, B, C sight restoration color blindness A, B, C can see color Huntington's chorea A, B, C restoration or improvement of lost functions Alzheimer's A, B, C restoration or improvement of lost functions Parkinson's A, B, C restoration or improvement of lost functions inflammatory A, B, C restoration or improvement polyneuropathy of lost functions Closed head traumatic A, B, C restoration or improvement syndromes of lost functions spinal cord injury A, B, C restoration or improvement of lost functions ulcerative colitis A, B, C healed ulcers Crohn's disease A, B, C healed ulcers schizophrenia A, B, C improvements in functions depression A, B, C improvements in functions anxiety reactions A, B, C improvements in functions compulsive disorders A, B, C improvements in functions nervous tics A, B, C improvements in functions restless leg syndrome A, B, C improvements in functions Tourette's syndrome A, B, C improvements in functions autism A, B, C improvements in functions Wegener's A, B, C restoration of tissue granulomatosis Lupus E. A, B healing of lesions Rheumatoid arthritis A, B relief of symptoms thyroiditis A, B normalization of antinuclear antibodies myesthenia gravis A, B normalization of antinuclear antibodies diabetes mellitus A, B normalization of glucose and Hgb AIC; restoration of renal functions; healing of ulcers, elimination of infec- tion; elevated lipids normal- ize; reduced insulin and glycomeds osteoporosis A, B reduced pain increased bone density alcoholism A reduction in craving cocaine A reduction in craving atherosclerosis A, B reduced total cholesterol, LDL, and triglycerides and increased HDL; improved patency of vessels and arrhythmia idiopathic myocarditis A, B increased ejection function; (presumed viral origin) restoration of heart size; increased Coxsackievirus antibody levels; and reversal of heart failure rheumatoid arthritis A, B elimination of pain, stiff- ness, fever, and swelling; restoration of scope of motion, strength and endurance degenerative arthritis A, B elimination of pain, stiff- ness, fever, and swelling; restoration of scope of motion, strength and endurance traumatic arthritis A, B elimination of pain, stiff- ness, fever, and swelling; restoration of scope of motion, strength and endurance juvenile arthritis A, B elimination of pain, stiff- ness, fever, and swelling; restoration of scope of motion, strength and endurance asthma A elimination of shortness of breath and wheezing and improvement of pulmonary function allergy - nasal, eyes, A elimination of itching, hay fever swelling, rash discomfort silicon breast implant A, B, C reduction or elimination of symptoms environmental toxin A, B, C reduction or elimination of syndrome symptoms agent orange A, B, C reduction or elimination of symptoms Gulf War syndrome A, B, C reduction or elimination of symptoms Hepatitis B & C A, C, D normalization of liver enzymes and symptoms influenza virus A, C, D prevention or amelioration; improvement of symptoms common cold A, C, D prevention or amelioration; improvement of symptoms AIDS A, C, D elimination of symptoms; m-RNA of HIV-1 is unde- tected; restored immune function herpes A, C, D elimination of infestations warts A, C, D elimination of infestations human papillovirus A, C, D elimination of infestations otitis media (chronic A, C, D elimination of symptoms or persistent) and need for antibiotics leukemia A, B, C, D correction of altered chromosomes lymphomas A, B, C, D normalization of tissue biopsies sarcomas A, B, C, D normalization of tissue (astrocytomas) biopsies adenocarcinomas such A, B, C, D elimination of metastasis as breast, prostate, and shrinkage of mass to ovarian, gastrointes- undetectable level tinal and lung profound introversion A, B, C, D restoration of psychological and female impotence interest and physiological sexual function in the elderly pain, ulcers and A, C, E restoration to intact, pain- coldness of extremities less extremity and micro- in diabetes, raynauds, vascular circulation frost-bite, snake-bite and atherosclerosis sun damaged skin, age A, C, E lessening of pigmentation, damaged skin, and wrinkles, and lost elasticity radiation damaged skin and restoration of dermis and epidermis athletic performance C, F increased strength and endurance, delayed fatigue, facilitation of recovery in young and aging athletes

In summary, this invention pertains to the field of dietary supplements and nutritional support for promotion and maintenance of optimal good health. More specifically, the invention relates to compositions of carbohydrates as dietary supplements that are essential for the production of correctly structured and, therefore, properly functioning glycoproteins.

Science has recently shown that glycoproteins play a key role in all cellular communication. Many of the cytokines, i.e. cellular "words," do not function properly without an attached glycosyl moiety. The body hydrolyzes complex polysaccharides such as plant carbohydrates into various monosugars and restructures them into oligosaccharides that are then used by the body to build the glycoproteins required by cytokines for cellular communication and, thus, for good health.

This invention will correct the problem caused by modern diets consisting of highly refined foods, from which many essential ingredients have been eliminated during processing, specifically sugars needed for correctly structured and properly functioning glycoproteins.

Offline grace2succeed

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 12/06/2006 07:38:42 »
This is not the deal.

This post shows a complete lack of understanding of the whole importance of glyconutrient therapy and what our bodies are not getting from our current nutritiion depleted diets.

You just walked backwards into the stone age of medicine and misunderstanding of the immune just lost 30 years of scientific and medical advancement.

The said thing is ... many doctors are still hardened and in old school training, pre-1996, Harper's Biochemistry. They were taught wrongly ... some of what was quoted below ... if not exactly in content ... definitely in attitude. And every doctor that was trained in that situation has had to come into a paradigm shift before he could reap the rewards of glyconutritional benefits for his patients and his practice. But many have made the shift and their patients are truly grateful.

Below are just a few of the citations listed in the Mannatech Patent as used as material resources.

---------------------------------

Other References

Balch, J F et al., Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 2nd Edition (1997), Avery Publishing Group (USA), pp. 7,8,12 and 43-46. .
Murray R K et al., Harper's Biochemistry, Appleton & Lange, 1996, pp. 648-666. .Remington, J.S. et al. Industrial Chemist and Chemical Manufacturer (1927), 3:155-7. Breakfast, invalid and infant food. .
Balch, J F etal., Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 2.sup.nd Edition (1997). Avery Publishing Group (USA), pp. 7, 8, 12-33 and 43-46. .
Kato, T et al. Jozo Kyokai Zasshi (1964), 59(5): 431-4. Soybean hull. II. Hydrolyzate of soybean hull prepared by using cellulase. Abstract. .
Beldman, G et al. Biotechnology and Bioengineering (1987), 30(5): 668-71. Enzymic hydrolysis of beer brewer's spent grain and the influence of pretreatments. .
Beran, K et al. Ceskoslov. mikrobiol. (1956), 1: 193-203. Saccharification of starch in potato mash with fungus amylolytic preparations. .
Bartolome, A P et al. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry (Mar. 1995), 43: 608-612. Polysaccharides from the cell walls of pineapple fruit. .
Citkowitz, E., Development Biology (1972), 27: 494-503. Analysis of the isolated hyaline layer of sea urchin embryos. .
Balch, J.F. et al., Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 2nd Edition (1997). Avery Publishing Group (USA), pp. 7-8, 12-33 and 43-46. .
Bartolome, A.P. et al., J. Agric. Food Chem. (1995), 43: 608-612. Polysaccharides from the cell walls of pineapple fruit. .
Balch, J.F. et al., Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Second Edition, Avery Publishing Group (USA), pp. 7-8, 12-33, and 43-46, 1997. .
Alton, Gordon et al., "Direct utilization of mannose for mammalian glycoprotien biosynthesis," Glycobiology (1998) 8:3, 285-295. .
Berger, Veronique et al., "Dietary Specific Sugars for Serum Protein Enzymatic Glycosylation in Man," Metabolism (1998) 47:12, 1499-1503. .
Freeze, Hudson H., "Disorders in protein glycosylation and potential therapy: Tip of an iceberg?" The Journal of Pediatrics (Nov. 1998) 133:5, 593-600. .
Gardiner, Tom et al., "Glyconutritionals: Consolidated Review of Potential Benefits," GlycoScience & Nutrition (Jul. 2001) 2:15, 1-15. .
Martin, A. et al., "Availability of specific sugars for glycoconjugate biosynthesis: A need for further investigations in man," Biochimie (1998) 80:1, 75-86. .
Rosalind Kornfeld and Stuart Kornfeld, "Assembly of Asparagine-Linked Oligosaccharides," Ann. Rev. Biochem., 1985, vol. 54, pp. 631-64. .
Akira Kobata, "Structures and Functions of The Sugar Chains of Glycoproteins," Eur. J. Biochem., 1992, vol. 209, pp. 483-501. .
Robert K. Murray, Daryl K. Granner, Peter A. Mayes, and Victor W. Rodwell, Harper's Biochemistry, Appleton & Lange, 1996, pp. 648-49. .
J.H. Cummings, M.B. Roberfroid and members of the Paris Carbohydrate Group, H. Andersson, C. Barth, A. Ferro-Luzzi, Y. Ghoos, M. Gibney, K. Hermonson, W.P.T. James, O. Korver, D. Lairon, G. Pascal and A.G.S. Voragen, "A New Look at Dietary Carbohydrate: Chemistry, Physiology and Health," Eur. J. Clinical Nutrition, 1997, vol. 51, pp. 417-23. .
Alan D. Elbein, "Inhibitors of the Biosynthesis and Processing of N-Linked Oligosaccharide Chains," Ann. Rev. Biochem., 1987, vol. 56, pp. 497-534. .
Richard L. Jackson, Steven J. Busch, and Alan D. Cardin, "Glycosaminoglycans: Molecular Properties, Protein Interactions, and Role in Physiological Processes," Physiological Reviews, 1991, vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 481-539. .
Arthur D. Lander, "Proteoglycans in the Nervous System," Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 1993, vol. 3, pp. 716-23. .
Guido David, "Structural and Functional Diversity of the Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans," Heparin and Related Polysaccharides, Plenum Press, 1992, pp. 69-78. .
Geraldine McDowell and William A. Gahl, "Inherited Disorders of Glycoprotein Synthesis: Cell Biological Insights," Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1997, vol. 215, pp. 145-57. .
Leon Carayannopoulos and J. Donald Capra, "Immunoglobulins: Molecular Genetics," Fundamental Immunology, Third Edition, Raven Press, 1993, pp. 302-14. .
Royston Jefferis, Susan Cranmer, Yogi Arata and Noriko Takahashi, "Glycosylation Heterogeneity in Human IgG Subclass Proteins," Biochemical Society Transactions, 1988, vol. 16, pp. 340-41. .
Mi-Hua Tao and Sherie L. Morrison, "Studies of Aglycosylated Chimeric Mouse-Human IgG: Role of Carbohydrate in the Structure and Effector Functions Mediated by the Human IgG Constant Region," The Journal of Immunology, 1989, vol. 143, pp. 2595-2601. .
Scot Hickman and Stuart Kornfeld, "Effect of Tunicamycin on IgM, IgA, and IgG Secretion By Mouse Plasmacytoma Cells," The Journal of Immunology, 1978, vol. 121, No. 3, pp. 990-96. .
G. Doris, G. D'Agostaro, and A. Poretti, "Age-Dependent Variations of Antibody Avidity," Immunology, 1978, vol. 35, pp. 601-11. .
Hironori Matsuda, Satoshi Nakamura, Yataro Ichikawa, Keiji Kozai, Ryo Takano, Masato Nose, Satoshi Endo, Yoshifumi Nishimura and Yoji Arata, "Proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Studies of the Structure of the Fc Fragment of Human Immunoglobulin G1: Comparisons of Native and Recombinant Proteins," Molecular Immunology, 1990, vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 571-79. .
Norio Koide, Masato Nose, and Takashi Muramatsu, "Recognition of IgG by Fc Receptor and Complement: Effects of Glycosidase Digestion," Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 1977, vol. 75, No. 4, pp. 838-44. .
John Lund, Toshiyuki Tanaka, Noriko Takahashi, Gabriella Sarmay, Yoji Arata, and Royston Jeferis, "A Protein Structural Change in Aglycosylated IgG3 Correlates with Loss of huFcyR1 and huFcyR111 Binding And/Or Activation," Molecular Immunology, 1990, vol. 27, pp. 1145-53. .
Johann Deisenhofer, Peter M. Colman, Otto Epp and Robert Huber, "Crystallographic Structural Studies of a Human Fc Fragment," Hoppe-Seyler's Z. Physiol. Chem., 1976, vol. 357, pp. 1421-1434. .
Jeffrey C. Edberg and Robert P. Kimberly, "Cell Type-Specific Glycoforms of FcyR111a (CD 16)," The American Association of Immunologists, 1997, pp. 3849-57. .
W. Ludo van der Pol and Jan G.J. van de Winkel, "IgG Receptor Polymorphisms: Risk Factors for Disease," Immunogenetics, 1998, vol. 48, pp. 222-32. .
Kelly P. Kerase and Gerald W. Hart, "Topology of O-Linked N-Acetylglucosamine in Murine Lymphocytes," Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Nov. 1991, vol. 290, No. 2, pp. 543-48. .
M. R. Sairam, "Role of carbohydrates in glycoprotein hormone signal transduction," The FASEB Journal, Jun. 1989, vol. 3, pp. 1915-1926. .
C. A. Wilson, A. J. Leigh and A. J. Chapman, "Gonadotrophin glycosylation and function," Journal of Endocrinology, 1990, vol. 125, pp. 3-14. .
M. R. Sairam, J. Linggen, M. Dobias-Goff, J. Sairam and G. N. Bhargavi, "Mechanism of Gonadotropin Action-Dissociation of Receptor Binding and Cellular Activation," Progress in Endocrinology, 1988, pp. 1025-1031. .

quote:

Here's the deal:  Your body can synthesize any saccharide it requires from protein intake.  There is no such thing as an essential sugar.  So, unless you have a genetic mutation which alters an enzyme that catalyzes one of the synthetic pathways from amino acid to a particular sugar, most glyconutrients are a waste of your money.  

Some of the more complex glyconutrients might be worth taking...but that last link in psophist's post (sugars that heal) is complete nonsense.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 12/06/2006 19:45:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by grace2succeed

This is not the deal.

This post shows a complete lack of understanding of the whole importance of glyconutrient therapy and what our bodies are not getting from our current nutritiion depleted diets.

quote:

Some of the more complex glyconutrients might be worth taking...but that last link in psophist's post (sugars that heal) is complete nonsense.

Here is the link for the entire US patent for Glyconutritional Products issued to Mannatech Incorporated in August 2005.

newbielink:http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6929807.pdf [nonactive]

Take care,

Melanie

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 13/06/2006 05:57:52 »
newbielink:http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6929807.pdf [nonactive]

The table that lists the disorders treated by administration of glyconutrients alone and in combination with one or more of phytonutrients, dioscorea complex and vitamins and minerals (Table 4) can be located on page 14 of the PDF file.

Here is another website that may be of interest:

newbielink:http://www.glycohealthservice.com/s-battle_fouts.htm [nonactive]

Take Care,

Melanie

Offline mimi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 13/06/2006 15:47:06 »
Hi everyone!
It's been interesting to read about this hotly argued debate on Mannatech and their glyonutrients. I was introduced a couple of days ago to this company through a friend, who gave me the whole sales pitch and is now calling me everyday to buy some of their products. I am not sure if i should, and as i have tried so many other things i think to myself i have nothing to lose (besides a few hundred pounds)!
Both sides of the argument make sense and seem to be backed up by some good evidence, so i'm not sure if the products will actual work and are worth giving a go, or saving my money and spending it on other therapy??? HELP!!!

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 14/06/2006 15:41:06 »
Mimi,

I am sure that your friend is sharing this information with you because she truly cares about you. It really is not just all about the glyconutrients. Being overweight or obese is a serious condition that leads to many health related problems.

The weight loss program that your friend is probably sharing with you supplies the body with all essential nutrients to balance and nourish your body. The program includes a multi/vitamin/mineral that is targeted to fat loss and an accelerator to help the body efficiently burn fat and increase metabolism. The program also offers a meal replacement shake the comes in Chocolate or French Vanilla.

There is also Ambrostart for energy and extra dietary fiber that can be added to the regimen. This product contains the Ambrotose plus an Energy Complex and 3 grams of fiber per serving.

An imbalance in the Endocrine System can also cause weight gain and make it very difficult to loose the weight and keep it off. You may want to ask your friend about the endocrine support product, too. This product will help to regulate hormone production.

I am sure that your friend is sincere in sharing this with you. If you are not interested, don't be afraid to tell her no. She is your friend and will respect your decision. Otherwise, if you are serious about losing that weight, the company offers a 100% unconditional money back guarantee. You really have nothing to lose but the weight.

To YOUR Health,

Melanie

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 14/06/2006 19:57:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Smith

If ambrotose helps to boost the immune system, wouldn't it therefore be harmful to a transplanted organ? The only term that I have seen on here that I recognize is the reference to strengthened or enlarged T-cells, which the medication I currently take is designed to suppress. That would seem to be one contraindication, even though the relative I spoke to says there are no known drug interactions with ambrotose. "No known" doesn't mean, however, that there aren't any. Any input would be appreciated.

Smith,

Taking glyconutrients is just like eating food. Did you ever worry when you ate an apple or a carrot?

These nutrients may actually enhance the the immuno-suppressant drugs and decrease the chances of organ failure and rejection. There are pharmaceutical companies developing these kinds of drugs with carbohydrates attached to enhance their performance. However, the drugs will still have toxicity levels and side effects. Plus, these drugs are in the beginning stages of development. It takes nearly 15 years of clinical research before the FDA will even approve them.

Pleae visit newbielink:http://www.glycostory.com [nonactive] and click on stories. Under category, click on Transplants. There are two testimonials there by REAL people and their experiences with glyconutrients.

Take Care,

Melanie

Offline mimi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 14/06/2006 21:02:18 »
Thank you for the information. I have spoken to my friend and decided on taking some of the products available. I will keep you informed on how they have worked for me!

Offline doc77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 14/06/2006 21:15:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kittycat

Dear Falariel,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with glyconutrition.
I can relate to your frustration and have had my own to deal with off and on.

When I first learned of glyconutrients I was thrilled at the science and results.
I rushed to help a family member with astrocytoma grade 3 brain cancer and a friend with GBM grade four brain cancer at the same time.
While trying to save their lives with this technology (at my own expense, time and money)
I went through a lot of ups and downs, both emotionally and financially.
The end result was they both lost their battle, however they both had more time with their families and had a peaceful death.  I believe this was a direct result of them using glyconutrition.

At that same time I was also aware of a friend with TBI, (traumatic brain injury) and though he was in a vegetated state, he was starting to show rapid signs of improvement after the family added glyconutrition to his diet.
His progress in a nutshell was coming from a vegetated state, to now talking in complex terms, eating every thing instead of being tube fed, having control of his body, and he is now starting to be trained to walk again. A recent brain scan confirmed new brain tissue development.
As you can imagine, (since I was going through all of this at the same time) this was more than I could sort through.
While I was deeply grieved at losing my loved ones at the same time I was rejoicing at the recovery in progress with this young man.
I almost gave up hope that glyconutrition could help anyone. I am glad that I didn't and so are many others. Though not all will get the miracle they may be looking for, I believe all can benefit to one degree or another. I would be happy to talk more about this if you want to.
I believe (through personal results) that you can increase absorption through various avenues.

My own family has benefited while using glyconutrition and have either recovered partially or fully from:
Severe seasonal and bee sting allergies, gout, nerve damage, herpes, shingles, chronic fatigue, and other various health issues.
If I can help please free to email me God bless, KC

His grace is sufficient and His strength is made perfect in my weakness

Offline vibranthealth767

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 17/06/2006 00:48:11 »
In regards to the use of glyconutrients in conjunction with immunosuppressive drugs and organ transplantation...There is NO scientific data to support it. There are only testimonies by individuals who have underwent organ transplantation and have added glyconutrients to their diet. These individuals achieved extraordinary results. It should be noted that these individuals were in close contact with their physicians after adding glyconutrients.

If you have received an organ transplant and wish to use glyconutrients, you should consult with your physician.

Be Well,

Melanie

Offline Greg Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 17/06/2006 03:12:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by vibranthealth767

In regards to the use of glyconutrients in conjunction with immunosuppressive drugs and organ transplantation...There is NO scientific data to support it. There are only testimonies by individuals who have underwent organ transplantation and have added glyconutrients to their diet. These individuals achieved extraordinary results. It should be noted that these individuals were in close contact with their physicians after adding glyconutrients.

If you have received an organ transplant and wish to use glyconutrients, you should consult with your physician.

Be Well,

Melanie

Yours is a wise and thoughtful approach to the subject, Melanie. Thomas (grace2succeed) would do well to learn from your more realistic and humble attitude, in my estimation.

Greg

Offline Stratus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 28/06/2006 11:38:03 »
I've been taking the glyconutrients for a while.. their miracle work doesn't seem to actually be there. Though Duane has raised an interesting thought I had a while back about taking the glyconutrients with probiotics. Would this have a better effect than the probiotics or glyconutrients alone?

I'm figuring it would since the bacteria in the probiotics would use and break down the glyconutrients. Though that's assuming the probiotics are live and made it through the stomach which is very slim from what I've read unless they are enteric coated and kept cold.

Any ideas?

Offline coul

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 01/07/2006 05:27:44 »
"where is all the money going?????

newbielink:http://www.mannarelief.org/icws217w3/index.cfm?ID=819B0DC7-37C8-458B-B5C05675B48DD815 [nonactive]
Program Overview

MannaMissions assists in delivering nutritional supplements to orphans on every continent. With your help, we've already reached 42,000 orphans in 300 orphanages in 72 countries.

What do we do?
When we visit the orphanages we will be delivering products and educating the caretakers. The team will have opportunities to play with the children, pass out toys, share Bible stories, and perform skits and puppet songs. We may help paint, or with assist in a construction project, or help with administration in an office; any practical ways we can bless the missionaries that we go to serve. Most definitely we will be giving out lots of hugs and smiles!

Eligibility
Anyone 16 years and older is eligible to join us on a MannaMissions trip. Children younger than 16 years of age have joined our teams, but only when a parent is accompanying them.

Funding
Each individual is responsible to raise their own funding for the trips. Financial sponsors can come from friends, family, church, local businesses, charities or fundraising events. Donations may be made by check, credit card or electronic bank withdrawal. Donations are tax deductible. Donors in US and Canada (see special instructions to make cheques payable to MannaRelief/ FLOCS) will receive a tax donation receipt. All funds should have participantís name and ďmissionsĒ on donations in order for the funds to be designated for their trip.

Application for Missions Trips are available in the following formats:

Download an Application
Call our office (817.557.8700)
If God has planted a seed in your heart to go on a missions trip, pray about joining us! If it is Godís timing, He will provide.

Here is a testimony of Godís provision. Going to Africa seems so surreal for someone who has never been out of the country but, I knew God was telling me to go. I had less than six weeks to get this huge project of raising $2500, getting my passport and getting my shots. I have four little girls and a husband on disability, so I knew I needed help. I was able to raise half of the money from a good friend, but I still needed $1,250. I sent out my support letters and prayed over the letter itself, and each person that was going to receive my letter. The next day, five people contacted me and said they wanted to support me financially. And the day after that, a couple approached me and said they are going to pay for the rest of my trip! Still today, someone contacted me and said they would like to support me as well, and I didnít even send them a letter! Praise God!

--- Rebecca
"Undeniable Destiny" by Linda Castor (wife of Mannatech CEO, Sam Castor)

It's a story of the undeniable way God will use ordinary people to impact the world. It's a story of the undeniable consequence that follows disobedience to God's will."

On a continent where mothers are literally fighting to save the limbs and the lives of their children from machetes and their babies from the ravages of HIV/AIDS, I find it incredulous that Mannatech would spend "sponsors" time and money on bibles and bottles filled with suger water for babies who are "malnourished" in countries that could first use food and perhaps even condoms to help them reduce the orphan population in those countries. But whatever...apparently prayer puts food on the tables of African orphans and Mannatech will be there to supplement the meal with bible stories and bottles of sugar..yippee! We're all saved!

So, my advice is, forget about food for orphans....and by all means, spend your money on the Texas Mannatechies...you look great!

Offline Stratus

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 28/06/2006 11:38:03 »
I've been taking the glyconutrients for a while.. their miracle work doesn't seem to actually be there. Though Duane has raised an interesting thought I had a while back about taking the glyconutrients with probiotics. Would this have a better effect than the probiotics or glyconutrients alone?

I'm figuring it would since the bacteria in the probiotics would use and break down the glyconutrients. Though that's assuming the probiotics are live and made it through the stomach which is very slim from what I've read unless they are enteric coated and kept cold.

Any ideas?

Offline coul

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 01/07/2006 05:27:44 »
"where is all the money going?????

newbielink:http://www.mannarelief.org/icws217w3/index.cfm?ID=819B0DC7-37C8-458B-B5C05675B48DD815 [nonactive]
Program Overview

MannaMissions assists in delivering nutritional supplements to orphans on every continent. With your help, we've already reached 42,000 orphans in 300 orphanages in 72 countries.

What do we do?
When we visit the orphanages we will be delivering products and educating the caretakers. The team will have opportunities to play with the children, pass out toys, share Bible stories, and perform skits and puppet songs. We may help paint, or with assist in a construction project, or help with administration in an office; any practical ways we can bless the missionaries that we go to serve. Most definitely we will be giving out lots of hugs and smiles!

Eligibility
Anyone 16 years and older is eligible to join us on a MannaMissions trip. Children younger than 16 years of age have joined our teams, but only when a parent is accompanying them.

Funding
Each individual is responsible to raise their own funding for the trips. Financial sponsors can come from friends, family, church, local businesses, charities or fundraising events. Donations may be made by check, credit card or electronic bank withdrawal. Donations are tax deductible. Donors in US and Canada (see special instructions to make cheques payable to MannaRelief/ FLOCS) will receive a tax donation receipt. All funds should have participantís name and ďmissionsĒ on donations in order for the funds to be designated for their trip.

Application for Missions Trips are available in the following formats:

Download an Application
Call our office (817.557.8700)
If God has planted a seed in your heart to go on a missions trip, pray about joining us! If it is Godís timing, He will provide.

Here is a testimony of Godís provision. Going to Africa seems so surreal for someone who has never been out of the country but, I knew God was telling me to go. I had less than six weeks to get this huge project of raising $2500, getting my passport and getting my shots. I have four little girls and a husband on disability, so I knew I needed help. I was able to raise half of the money from a good friend, but I still needed $1,250. I sent out my support letters and prayed over the letter itself, and each person that was going to receive my letter. The next day, five people contacted me and said they wanted to support me financially. And the day after that, a couple approached me and said they are going to pay for the rest of my trip! Still today, someone contacted me and said they would like to support me as well, and I didnít even send them a letter! Praise God!

--- Rebecca
"Undeniable Destiny" by Linda Castor (wife of Mannatech CEO, Sam Castor)

It's a story of the undeniable way God will use ordinary people to impact the world. It's a story of the undeniable consequence that follows disobedience to God's will."

On a continent where mothers are literally fighting to save the limbs and the lives of their children from machetes and their babies from the ravages of HIV/AIDS, I find it incredulous that Mannatech would spend "sponsors" time and money on bibles and bottles filled with suger water for babies who are "malnourished" in countries that could first use food and perhaps even condoms to help them reduce the orphan population in those countries. But whatever...apparently prayer puts food on the tables of African orphans and Mannatech will be there to supplement the meal with bible stories and bottles of sugar..yippee! We're all saved!

So, my advice is, forget about food for orphans....and by all means, spend your money on the Texas Mannatechies...you look great!

Offline upton

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 13/07/2006 14:44:46 »
According to the site statistics, this is the most widely read thread. So, I thought i would pop over to take a look. Very interesting and I can see there has been some drama here too.

~~~I can't think of a signature~~~

Offline ittsy_bittsy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 15/07/2006 05:38:53 »
Ok I'm new here... I was up until 5:30am the other night reading this thread right through, after watching the Mannatech DVD about glyconutrition.

I just have to say THANK YOU so much to Duane!!!!!!! Your insights have been incredibly helpful, mostly due I would say, to your not receiving any remuneration from the company.

And now a question for you: Whilst you still agree that the glyconutrients work, what I have gathered is that they supposedly work by stimulating the immune system, by making it think there may be disease cells in the digestive system, when it realises they are not diseased, it can then use this heightened state to go find and fight other areas that are really diseased that it may have been overlooking.

If I have this wrong then please correct me.

As such I'm not sure if there would be benefit for my Dad and I, who both have Auto-Immune problems.  

My Dad has Rheumatoid Arthritis - which is basically where the immune system goes psycho and fights healthy cells. In this case stimulating the immune system, it seems to me, would only make the problem worse. Just as taking glucosamine does, as it helps with the repair of certain tissues, which then give the rouge immune system more healthy cells to feed off.

We are greatly looking forward to where this technology may lead, if they are able to narrow down how to improve the cell - cell communication for shutting down the immune system once it has complete its real work, as that seems to be where the issue is for this disease.

My own auto-immune problem is an Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, where my immune system is creating antibodies to attack cells that form part of the blood coagulation chain, which in turn is making my blood clot too easily.

I am nervous about taking something that will incite my immune system to fight, as it may just fight the wrong cells, and this may then alter the effectiveness of my Warfarin dose.

I would love any input/insight you may have Duane, feel free to set me straight if I'm off base.

I would also love input from any others who have a scientific viewpoint on any of the issues I have raised, as opposed people who are Mannatech robots and quote only the Mannatech speal and case stories.

Much appreciated,
Desiree

~~ Maintain a roll of damp toilet paper for your visitors, leaving them to ponder whether it fell into the toilet... ~~

ah_non_e_mus_x

« Reply #223 on: 16/07/2006 00:16:50 »
I just ran into a "doctor" who initially came off as this nice guy who just wanted to talk to me about brain chemistry.  My degree is in psychology with an emphasis in neurochemistry of the brain, so I was fascinated with what this man was telling me.

I watched the videos with interest, and the case studies tug at your heart strings.  Well of course, being me, I liked what I was hearing...but when he got to the "becoming a sales associate so that I could buy the product factory direct" I balked.  I have never liked multi level marking; always felt it was a scam.

I did a Google search for glyconutrients and found this site. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. A special thank you goes out to Duane.

Duane, thank you for the "make it yourself recipe" -- that is a great idea.  Why buy it when I can make it myself? I have enjoyed reading all of your other posts as well.

Offline loweduane

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 18/07/2006 06:16:32 »
I am glad that my previous posts were helpful.  

You are partially right about the glyconutrients and the immune system, but it is actually a little more complicated than that, and actually is working by several mechanism.  However, there is something important about the immune system, allergies and autoimmune syndromes that you need to understand.

A normally functioning mature immune system does not "over-react" and it does not attack itself (auto-immune).  It is when your immune system is not functioning normally that it mistakenly attacks the various tissue in your body, or hyper-reacts to benign environmental stimuli (allergies).  You are correct that if you increase the "activity" of a dysfunctional immune response, your symptoms would get worse.  However, this is not the same as "Stimulating your immune system" with glyconutrients (or various other nutrients).  

For example, if you raise mice with zero bacteria in their colon, they have a limited immune system, and are more likely to develop allergies and sicknesses. In other words, without certain common types of environmental stimulation (in this case normal bacteria in the intestines) immune system doesn't learn to regulate itself correctly. If you kill the bacteria in rats, you increase their preponderance to develop respiratory allergies.  The type and amount of bacteria in our intestines have a major influence in the "maturity" of our immune system.  They are also finding that certain types of "fiber" also stimulates receptors in our intestine that stimulate "maturity" of the immune system, not just making it more active, but more efficient.  (look up articles on the "hygiene hypothesis" for more background in this area and related topics).

Multiple studies are being done right now on the ability of improving symptoms of immune dysfunctional syndromes (allergies, RA, etc) by improving the number and type of good bacteria in the gut.  For example:
------------
Scand J Rheumatol. 2003;32(4):211-5.

Effects of probiotic therapy on the activity and activation of mild rheumatoid arthritis--a pilot study.

Hatakka K, Martio J, Korpela M, Herranen M, Poussa T, Laasanen T, Saxelin M, Vapaatalo H, Moilanen E, Korpela R.

Rheumatism Foundation Hospital, Heinola.

OBJECTIVE: To study the effects of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) on rheumatoid arthritis (RA). METHODS: Twenty-one RA patients were randomised to receive 2 capsules of LGG or a placebo twice daily in double-blind fashion for 12 months. Arthritis activity was evaluated by clinical examination, HAQ index, and laboratory tests (e.g. ESR, CRP, pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines). RESULTS: There were no statistical differences in the clinical parameters, biochemical variables and HAQ index between the study groups over the intervention period. The mean number of tender and swollen joints decreased from 8.3 to 4.6 in the Lactobacillus group and from 5.5 to 4.8 in the placebo group (p = 0.41). According to the global assessment the RA activity was reduced in 71% (LGG group) vs. 30% (controls) (p = 0.15). Serum IL-1 beta increased slightly in the LGG group (p = 0.07), but no differences were seen in IL-6, TNF-alpha, MPO, IL-10 or 1L-12. CONCLUSIONS: Although there were no statistical significant differences in the activity of RA, more subjects in the LGG group reported subjective well being. More studies on the effects of probiotic bacteria in RA are needed.
----------------------
Recognize that this study use a "Probiotic" (a orally taken bacteria to improve the number of bacteria in the colon).  Probiotics are beneficial to an extent, but they are limited because many of the bacteria don't make it though the stomach and small intestine, and they have to compete with the billions of bacteria that already live in your colon.  "PREBIOTICS" however are long chains of non-digestible sugars that you cannot digest so they pass into the large intestine where they are eaten by certain bacteria in your colon.  The good news is that the GOOD bacteria - bifidus, lactobacillus - that stimulate normal immune function thrive on these substances, while many of the BAD or opportunistic bacteria (e.coli, klebsiella, etc) either cannot use these substances, or only like them a little bit.  In one study just taking Inulin (a long chain of mostly fructose) bifidus bacteria went from 20% of the total bacteria to 60% of the total bacteria in the colon in just 2 weeks.  That is much higher levels than a person could attain just taking bifidus pills alone.  

There are a few studies that show that different combinations of probiotics, made of different sugars, may have additive effects than taking them separately.  Also, there are benefits to taking probiotics and prebiotics together.  This is called a "Synbiotic" (Google that term and see what you get).  This is also why Mannatech has a probiotic supplement they recommend to enhance the benefits of their glyconutrients, (though it is also overpriced for something you can get much cheaper at a good health food store.)

There are several medical articles on this topic but you can find some detailed recent information at:  

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/73/2/444S?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=salminen&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT [nofollow]

(American Journal of Clinical Nutrition's 2001 article on Probiotics and Immunity).

or:

http://gut.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/54/3/317 [nofollow]

(Microbes, immunoregulation, and the gut. Gut. 2005 Mar;54(3):317-20. Review.)

Your problem, as well as your father's problem is that you both have immune systems that lack the normal regulation.  Nutritional substances that improve activity of your immune system, actually improve the regulation and efficiency of your immune system.  When your immune system is fully mature and functioning, it doesn't attack itself.  

Other factors that are being found to have benefits in this area are "essential fatty acids" (e.g. Essential fatty acids in health and disease. J Assoc Physicians India. 1999 Sep;47(9):906-11. Review.) and also thymus extract (such as Thymulin by Enzymatic Therapy) because of the importance of T-cells in immune self-recognition.

More research is being done in all of these areas, but I have not found any studies that would suggest any patients with auto-immune diseases or allergies got worse with pro or prebiotics.  With the number of studies that have been done, that is significant.

Recognize however that if you increase the bifidus and lactobacillus in your colon, you will kill off many other bacteria such as clostridium, klebiella, e.coli, etc.  These "bad" bacteria contain something called an "endotoxin" in their cell well.  When the bacteria dies, this endotoxin is a becomes a free poison and can effect your liver, intestines, and overall health.  This is what is meant by the "detoxyfying" reaction that some people experience.  Those who have more "bad" bacteria in their intestines will have a more severe reaction.  In which case you just need to add probiotics/glyconutrients (prebiotics) in less amounts so that the growth of the good bacteria and the dying off of bad bacteria is slower and not so dramatic.  

I know this was a little detailed, but I tried to simplify much of it.  Let me know if that helps understand a little better.

Duane

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #224 on: 18/07/2006 06:16:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums