The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Spore & Pollen..they're the main two !..but what's the difference ?  (Read 12959 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Plant-Reprodutiveologists,

Here is some Pollen:

Nice eh ?..you have to agree that , that is some sexy looking plant stuff !!

And here, is some Spore :

Not as sexy but still pretty cool !!

Ok...so ....I gather spore is smaller than pollen yes ? (or no ?)...and apart from spores coming from mushroom orientated fungi stuff...

....are there in fact any differences in what they do and how they do it ?

Is spore just Fungi pollen ?

Sew me the seeds of love in your reproductive plant interpretation.

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
Pollen is equivalent to sperm in animals, it is the male part of the reproductive cycle and it needs to fertilize an egg to become a new plant. Spores are released from fungi and some plants and they grow into an organism....spores are the units of asexual reproduction, because a single spore develops into a new organism. In Fungi, this is the haploid part of the lifecycle... and the spores grow into organisms that produce gametes, which then fuse and produce "seeds" which grow into the fungus again.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Pollen is equivalent to sperm in animals, it is the male part of the reproductive cycle and it needs to fertilize an egg to become a new plant. Spores are released from fungi and some plants and they grow into an organism....spores are the units of asexual reproduction, because a single spore develops into a new organism. In Fungi, this is the haploid part of the lifecycle... and the spores grow into organisms that produce gametes, which then fuse and produce "seeds" which grow into the fungus again.

Oh My !!..I have been remiss in thanking you for this wonderful post Carol A...so THANK YOU !!

So..the difference is really quite fundamental...EXCELLENT !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums