The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could brain surgery accidentally make me brighter?  (Read 18100 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
could brain surgery accidentally make me brighter?
« Reply #25 on: 06/02/2008 14:11:50 »
Including "technical terminology" is not necessarily pedantry: it could help with further reading on this topic.

True, but I'm in the habit of trying to keep things simple.

Ethos

Could brain surgery accidentally make me brighter?
« Reply #26 on: 27/03/2009 03:32:17 »

Speaking of keeping things simple; Instead of such a drastic solution like brain surgery, maybe he should try meditation. One probably won't increase their intellect but they might learn to deal with the lack thereof more effectively.............Hey?
« Last Edit: 27/03/2009 03:33:54 by Ethos »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27/03/2009 14:44:46 »
Also, contrary to what has been posted here, it is possible to increase your measured IQ in any particular test by suitable mental exercise, and measured IQ can change significantly over time (it can both increase and decrease).

The main problem with IQ is defining it and what it is supposed to measure...

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28/03/2009 12:09:35 »
Including "technical terminology" is not necessarily pedantry: it could help with further reading on this topic.

I thought that was my job..

complete doofus signing off 

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28/03/2009 12:10:40 »
Also, contrary to what has been posted here, it is possible to increase your measured IQ in any particular test by suitable mental exercise, and measured IQ can change significantly over time (it can both increase and decrease).

The main problem with IQ is defining it and what it is supposed to measure...

I have always been reliably informed that IQ tests measure how good someone is at taking IQ tests... make of that what you will

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30/03/2009 15:53:00 »
I have always been reliably informed that IQ tests measure how good someone is at taking IQ tests... make of that what you will

There's a lot of truth in that. Traditional IQ tests are very limited, and you can improve your performance at them with practice. Some researchers in the field are suggesting that there are many types of IQ (verbal, spatial, emotional, etc.), and there should be corresponding tests. I tend to agree, but designing the tests is always going to be difficult because they are supposed to be a relative measure against a peer group, and it's difficult to identify exactly what/who this peer group should be, how to keep the tests unbiased across this group, and actually measure the performance of this group for comparison. There are all kinds of other problems, e.g. how long is a test valid for, and over what age range - when populations, cultures and behaviours are continually changing and mixing, and the populations involved age?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01/04/2009 04:58:59 »
Does anyone else see those ads which have some 5 year old picking his nose and then the caption: His IQ is 112, can you beat that? Click here for test?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 01/04/2009 04:58:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums