The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why am I Passing out ?  (Read 25663 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #25 on: 22/02/2008 03:53:55 »
Seems so to me too. had another round tonight where it dropped way down again..

My lab tests came back said my kidney function thing was high again and suggested it may be that I was dehydrated.. I don't know why.

I went to the doc. yesterday.. she is still trying to figure out whats happening.

I think I am going to lock myself in my room and watch old movies until my brain falls out.. sounds good to me... No more thinking.. maybe that will do it! ..seriously I don't know what to think at this point.. we will see.. I am trying to be patient.. I used to be real good at patience.. better then most.. but lately I am losing it....
Thanks for the advice.. and I did just that.. so we will see what happens! Thanks!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17/03/2008 02:08:53 »
OK.. I have been removed fro my Norvasc.. which The doctor gave me to help blood flow and circulation etc.... Seems in there effort to control my blood pressure They thing they have over done the medication and that may be the answer to my passing out.. My blood pressure has been dropping down real real low.. and finally being checked at the office during a a bout with standing and feeling like I was about to go down.. They stuck a cuff on me and boom low and behold my blood pressure was so low that it was almost undetectable... he took it numerous times asking me how I felt and me needing to sit while they held me in upright position. LOL.. He decided that as I moved around my blood pressure drops drastically he believes causing me to pass out.. so low blood pressure for sure .. so temporarily I am stopping one medication in hopes it will eliminate that.. but if the pain comes back and blood pressure goes back up we have to go back to it immediately....

In the mean time.. I am feeling some better had some incidents this last weekend but am OK and ready to get going again. Been relaxing and resting as I was told... limited activity for the last few days as directed.. . If all is well Treatment I guess is going ok! Had a bunch of blood work done and waiting for results again.. ESR rates again along with red blood cell count and several other tests .. kidneys ..liver etc.. as well as another EKG that displayed some small skitters  that were noted and marked so we will see what it was doing too.. he seemed calm about it and says it should be OK.. asked me if I had my cell phone on in the room... we looked and nope.. it was off so he said he had to do them again and he did and there was still disturbance in the readings again etc.. etc.. So now they want to check them as they have become more active then before!

I will update again soon...

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17/03/2008 20:37:28 »
One thing that might make you feel slightly better is knowing that passing out isn't the brain failing because it can't get enough oxygen, it's a deliberate, adaptive response. It's the body's way of getting the head near the floor so the heart doesn't have so much work to do maintaining a blood supply to the brain. Pumping blood up hill is hard work.

You might find this interesting too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postural_hypotension

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/03/2008 22:07:22 »
Thanks BC.. I do see a lot of similarities ie, the bed rest, medications,heart problems.. low blood pressure..etc.. It does not however happen with sudden stand ups... it can happen in a sitting position also...also while I have been up being active for ten minutes or so..

That is a good link and what you say does make better sense!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14/04/2008 06:29:14 »
Well, I have had another round of passinfg out yesterday outside in my carport. it was hot and really got me... I think more then anything.. it was firstly very hot out then I was trying to clean  and old safe off to get it ready to give away... lol....
i started coughinh out of control.. got light headed and suddenly was having trouble with air intake..and could not breath....was having that high pitch squeezy thing happening in my throat as if someone was strangling me...then  I was on the couch..... This is getting old and sacarring me not to mention Bob... he drug me in the house and soked me with water trying to cool me with soaked clothes he said. He also said I looked ...was terrible looking and pale....and he was scared but said  was incredibly hot... and wet...
( sweating profusely)

anyway... he got me water and thinks it was being dehydrated from my pills... I have to drink more water because my meds deydrate me....

anyway it has been some betterbut has not stopped but that may have just been heat  induced.. my meds are sensitive to sun..

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #30 on: 14/04/2008 17:16:05 »
Hi Karen

I have read all your above posts. I am not a doctor but I believe I can offer excellent advice. It seems to me that you might be passing out because of the following.

1) An inflammatory condition of the heart causing valves to leak sufficiently to cause critical blood pressure failure. Inflammation subsequently subsiding.
Solution - I would suggest avoid using anti-inflammatory corticosteroid therapy. Other heart medications might help, talk with doctor. Less meat more fruit and vegetables. Sandwiches with salad. Eating less. Get an echocardiogram, an EBCT or cardiac MRI done.

2) Blood pressure lowering drugs in combination with an inflammatory condition or valvular regurgitation causing critical blood pressure failure.
Solution - Readjust B.P. medicines working with doctor.

3) Cardiac rhythm irregularities.
Solution - Should have a 24hr EKG test, maybe a few times. This will be a unit attached to your waist with electrodes to your chest. It will make a record of any heart rhythm irregularities. Doctor will advise on results.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #31 on: 14/04/2008 17:50:57 »
I have had all of the above tests several times and xblood pressure meds have been adjusted and is more stable.. i have good choletesterol.. it has away been in good range...had aexam of arteries with a clear hall pass.. I do not have
clogqed arteries... I do have some sclerosis of the arorta valve as well as left ventrical..He said it was from the regurgitation  and the blood pooling in the aorta when the left ventrical spits it back the wrong way.. it apparently sits long enough for the blood to clot and the aorta it spitting it out.. which is what caused the mini stroke in May last year!
I eat  lots of vegetables and reasonable meats althomugh I always have to watch that...
there are orther problems..but you world need to read the congestive heart failure thread.....in this same area back several pages.thanks for the advice and it all seems sound as the Doctor has done all the above....

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #32 on: 15/04/2008 02:11:29 »
Hi Karen

You may have chronic inflammation of the internal lining of the heart. This condition is called endocarditis. A lot doctors can be ignorant about this condition as it may not show up as an abnormality on a scan. I also believe that it can fail to show up on an EKG. Also the heart doesnt have to be enlarged for you to have this condition. This condition can seriously affect the performance of your heart valves and over time make them fail.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #33 on: 15/04/2008 06:58:07 »
Thanks.... that has been addressed and my general practioner has pushed for it to be checked again... The cardiologist says he hopes to wait a little while before he has to replace the valves... I don't know how long.. but he says they will have to be replaced.

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #34 on: 21/04/2008 01:22:32 »
So I think you are passing out because of inflammation around your heart valves in combination with dips in blood pressure caused by medicines. We have to find a way to reduce or eliminate the inflammation.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #35 on: 15/08/2008 05:07:48 »
Well I visited Stanford Medical.. The center for aortic anuerysms etc etc.. The passing out was from the low blood pressure and I seem to be having Coronary artery spasms..

They took me off the norvasc a month or two ago my passing out has ceased, but I am still having blood pressure issues! Cut my meteprolo down on the 7th to half dose at 50 mg time released..to raise the pressure up to normal.. as it was way too low!80 over 44.  Then it shot through the roof..196 0ver 110~!

Yesterday they put me back up to 100 mg a day time released I take it in the morning.. Pressure was good today again.. we will see what tomorrow brings..

I am running a fever and think I have picked up Strep throat from my Daughters boyfriend!.. Not sure yet.. My left gland under my tongue is very tender to touch under my chin... not swallowing just to touch..

My thyroid feels swollen and large on the left side of my windpipe also!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why am I Passing out ?
« Reply #35 on: 15/08/2008 05:07:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums