The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Driving with GPS and Galileo  (Read 5028 times)

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
Driving with GPS and Galileo
« on: 07/02/2008 01:56:57 »
Hi,

I'd like to get some user experience input from this forum about driving in the U.S. and Europe with GPS and Galileo navigation systems. I've never driven in Europe, only in the U.S. with commercial GPS products. Some pertinent GPS UI features include 1) current location of the car, 2)the directions to your destination (including also self-correction and recomputation if you made a wrong turn), 3)information about gas stations, restaurants, tourist landmarks, 4)some early warning to tell you to turn before you get to the intersection, and 5)language selection (English, French, and Spainsh mostly). And there is the voice instruction for giving directions so you don't have to stare at the LCD screen when driving.

Do people in Europe have the similar features on their Galileo navigation products? Are there any features on Galileo that are not supported by GPS (I'm talking about the commercial products, of course)?

Also, when you drive from one country to another, do you experience any difference in getting the Galileo services? I mean, for instance, would Galileo signals be not available even under the clear open sky, because of some local laws?

I'm interested in learning how Galileo works for European drivers these days. Also, does anybody have experience driving in Asia, South America, Russia, etc. with either GPS or Galileo or any other systems? I'd very much like to know the driving experience there. Thanks.

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2008 02:40:51 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_positioning_system
On November 30, 2007 the 27 EU transportation ministers involved reached an agreement, that it should be operational by 2013.

The European Commission had some difficulty getting money for the project's next stage, as economic difficulty was threatening national budgets across Europe. Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, the United States Government wrote to the European Union opposing the project, arguing that it would end the ability of the United States to shut down GPS in times of military operations. On January 17, 2002 a spokesman for the project somberly stated that, as a result of U.S. pressure and economic difficulties, "Galileo is almost dead."  A few months later, however, the situation changed dramatically. Partially in reaction to the pressure exerted by the U.S. Government, European Union member states decided it was important to have their own independent satellite-based positioning and timing infrastructure.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2008 21:30:49 »
The drivers in Europe use exactly the same GPS system you do and it has similar features but in the UK we can also link it to our Ordinance survey maps which are really accurate large scale maps better than most other places.

The Galileo system is just undergoing a study phase.  the main idea is that it is an independent backup for Europe if in the future the USA becomes less friendly.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2008 21:54:48 »
As Soul-Surfer says, the Galileo system is not up and running yet.
Most of the "navigation" functionality depends only on the software, so you would not expect a different underlying satellite positioning system to make much difference here.
On the other hand, I think the Galileo system was supposed to have higher power transmitters on the satellites (and maybe slightly different coding - I don't know details) which would improve reception within buildings or densely built-up areas.

Offline engrByDayPianstByNight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2008 20:36:08 »
Thanks guys for the replies. I kind of assumed the underlying technlogies between Galileo and GPS are quite similar (e.g., triangulation with at least four satellites to pinpoint location and altitude). I'm more interested in the user experience using these two navigation systems. Perhaps I'll re-post this question in 2013. :-)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2008 20:36:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums