The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: About yourselves!  (Read 52758 times)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: About yourselves!
« Reply #25 on: 10/05/2003 21:22:56 »
Claire - given your interest in medieval history I guess that the comments of a certain politian, published today, probably didn't go down too well in your book then ?

Chris

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10/05/2003 21:47:48 »
Hi y'all I just joined this fourm.
I'm not a scientist that is full of knowledge or anything I'm just here to hope to learnt from everyone.

Tom

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #27 on: 10/05/2003 21:50:28 »
Welcome nilmot - I just happened to be here when your post appeared.

Nice to meet you

Chris

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/05/2003 22:38:58 »
Hi Chris - I haven't watched the news in a few days, who made what comments?

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10/05/2003 23:22:11 »
Hi Tom:),
What topics interest you the most?

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/05/2003 03:34:22 »
Hey Tom, welcome ^_^

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #31 on: 11/05/2003 11:54:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Claire

Hi Chris - I haven't watched the news in a few days, who made what comments?

Charles Clarke, the Labour education secretary described by the Guardian as "pugnacious" (though looking at his picture, "pig-like" would be more appropriate), said yesterday, on the subject of higher educational establishments (universities), that "medieval historians are ornamental", and essentially serve little useful purpose.

Given this governments track record on education, can't say as I'm surprised. If there was a course offering "pseudo-asylum seeker studies", or "fleecing the benefits system studies", you can guarantee THAT would be viewed as "essential".

Chris

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11/05/2003 14:43:19 »
LOL!!! :D

Essentia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem...

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12/05/2003 00:28:13 »
Hi Claire and Chris,

This "pig"nacious man you speak of reminds me of a co-worker who stated that he thought philosophy courses should be eliminated because they served no purpose.  They do if you think about it.
« Last Edit: 15/05/2003 10:30:11 by Donnah »

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12/05/2003 19:59:55 »
Hi everyone,
I'm interested in Biology and wanted to be a doctor[|)]

Tom

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #35 on: 12/05/2003 21:23:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by nilmot

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in Biology and wanted to be a doctor[|)]

Tom

is the past tense ("wanted") intentional or a typo ???!!

Chris

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12/05/2003 22:53:38 »
Did you originally want to be a doctor then get shuffled into some other proffession?

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13/05/2003 21:22:46 »
Sorry, sorry wanted to be a doctor. Typo [|)]

Tom

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #38 on: 13/05/2003 22:09:21 »
Sorry - disregard my other post on the other thread asking about this.

Doctor eh. Mate, DON'T DO IT.

The NHS is a terrible place to work. Let me give you some examples why you might want to reconsider and do something else.

1) I have just finished working in a casualty department. Our rota was illegal and greatly exceeded the number of hours we were supposed (legally) to be working per week. Normally when this happens the hospital you work for has to pay you more money to make up for all the extra work. Our hospital has agreed that our rota breaches the guidelines, but they say it is their 'policy' not to pay us back for the extra work we have done BEFORE we complained. Therefore we have worked for 2 months and are losing money equivalent to 20% of our salary which is a LOT - can you see the fire brigade tolerating that ? Doctors are treated like a piece of rubbish by hospitals because they amount to cheap labour.

2) I'm getting married this summer. I have purposefully saved up some extra leave so that I can get married and have a honeymoon. But when I started a new post this week the boys who make the rules decided that we can only have 6 days off in total - totally screwing my wedding plans. And are they sympathetic to this special situation ? Answer : Are they also from Andromeda ?

3) A young guy who is my brother's age has just got a very average degree from a very average university but has gone to work in the city. In his first job he earns more than I do for working over half as many hours and spending a third of the time I did at university (8 years).

4) Hospital accommodation is appalling. Unless of course you have a penchant for living in a rabbit hutch the size of a shoe-box and you don't mind them erecting a building site outside your window that will keep you awake all day when you are trying to sleep after a night on call.

5) You'll be moving jobs EVERY 6 months. Yep, you have to apply for a new job and then move yourself and all of your possessions to a new hospital every 6 months for at least 3 years. Then it's every year. Oh, and if that's not bad enough, if you are working all night on the night of the move - too bad. You're still to present yourself to the next job at 7.45am the next day for 'induction'. And then work all day. But your room won't be available until the evening, or possibly the next day, so you don't mind all of your possessions being nicked from your car whilst your room is 'cleaned' ready for your use (loose use of the word 'cleaned') do you ?

If you want to chat about it, let me know and I'll let you have my contact no. I would strongly advise you to think very carefully before committing yourself to this. Medical schools are really struggling to fill places at the moment and there is a reason for it. (You'll be told that medicine is really competitive to get into and that there are 10 applicants per place. In reality everyone applies to about 10 places and hence there is more like 1 person per place at the moment).

Chris

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14/05/2003 06:20:06 »
Chris, Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.  The long hours and shift work you speak of is imposed on Canadian doctors too.  I would like to know if that is a world-wide problem. I know that I don't want someone who has been awake and on shift for 36 hours looking after me if I'm injured.  Doesn't the doctors' creed start with "first do no harm"?  What about harm to themselves?  Doctors are supposed to promote health and lead by example.  What kind of example is it to flog your own body with long, weird hours?  What is the maximum legal limit for a doctor to work in the UK?
« Last Edit: 15/05/2003 10:28:12 by Donnah »

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14/05/2003 08:36:10 »
I had one of my career choices as being a doctor but the time studying and the training put me off.:(

At least 5 yrs studying medicine at university,:D
??? yrs being PRHO,:)
??? yrs being SHO,[B)]
??? yrs being registra[:0](don't know if my spelling is correct),
??? yrs to become a consultant at last![^]

Angel

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14/05/2003 12:10:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Charles Clarke, the Labour education secretary described by the Guardian as "pugnacious" (though looking at his picture, "pig-like" would be more appropriate), said yesterday, on the subject of higher educational establishments (universities), that "medieval historians are ornamental", and essentially serve little useful purpose.

How worrying that this man is the Labour education secretary!! I am totally disppointed, but not entirely surprised. I'm sure his comments are born out of ignorance and he probably hasn't actually any idea about the contributions medieval historians make to education and our knowledge in general. The recent apology made by the pope for the Crusades was in part a result of the intensive academic interest in the subject in the last 10 years and the expansion of our knowledge about the appalling behaviour of Crusading countries. Why does he stop at medieval history? Why not say modern history is useless too? Where does he draw the line I wonder. Perhaps learning about the Holocaust is less useful than 'general studies'.

[:(!]

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15/05/2003 03:56:53 »
Doctors are paid well, aren't they? And you get the satisfaction of saving people's lives :p

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #43 on: 15/05/2003 11:07:44 »
On first glance it looks like doctors are well paid. But when you take into account the fact that we are working at least twice as many hours per week (80 usually) as most people in most jobs, doing several weekends per month, and on-calls involving being up all night and then all the next day too, when you work out our hourly rate it's pretty poor. My rate of pay equates to about 11 pounds per hour. to put that into perspective, a secretary in London with little training STARTS on that. Nurses and physiotherapists doing weekend and bank holiday shifts get double that, and a day off to make up for it.

Australian doctors faced with similarly appalling working conditions a few years back took matters into their own hands and went on strike. Since then they have enjoyed a much better working environment and good pay. But for them a trip to the UK is worthwhile because they earn the equivalent of 3x the salary here because of the exchange rate.

The US and Canada will not let British-qualified doctors work there without taking their exams, including all of the exams you took whilst a little kiddie at University, even if you are the professor of medicine at a UK University !

Chris

Offline Bin Laden

• Hide n Seek Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15/05/2003 11:59:32 »
welcome tom.

catch me if you can!

Offline saddam hussain

• Who's insane ? Not this Hussain !
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 15/05/2003 12:12:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bin Laden

welcome tom.

catch me if you can!

I should keep a low profile if I was you.
SH

Offline Bin Laden

• Hide n Seek Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15/05/2003 12:18:16 »
And why is that Mr Hussain? you're the villain of the moment... i'm old news!

catch me if you can!

Offline dalya

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 15/05/2003 13:08:33 »
It all depends what your medical specialty is, doesn't it?  

In the USA, there are different regulations depending on what state you live in about the maximum number of hours in a row you can work, though apparently that gets flouted there as well.  Different specialties get paid different amounts of money (say, about 1 bucketload of money for the worst paid to tens of bucketloads of money for the better paid).  It probably averages out to a decent amount if you do hourly calculations, though it is not the norm that doctors are rich. certainly working long hours with the stress of responsibility for other people lives and health in your hand can impoverish even the wealthiest person's quality of life.  Also, American doctors have to deal with insurance companies which is a huge pain in the ass (trust me!) and strain on time.  All that said though, I saw my brother-in-law about a month ago -he's a GP in Boston -and he spent the weekend reading 'Medical Economics' in favor of The New England Journal of Medicine (more clinical stuff) which he had with him as well -I was somewhat naively astonished that they have a whole magazine devoted to medical economics!!!  Though they probably have several.

Donnah -I'll leave you the calcium article.  Part of my lab works on calcification in cardiovascular disease, so if you need info on the crystallization part of it, I can probably help you out (though I have no clue about it off the top of my head)

Also, quantumcat-I'll look into doing an article on reflexes but for now if you want, the last thing I wrote was on sensation of hot and cold stimuli which you mentioned.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17/05/2003 00:33:13 »
Thanks Dalya[8D].

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17/05/2003 01:57:27 »