The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Digital cameras, what is the best?  (Read 13531 times)

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Digital cameras, what is the best?
« Reply #25 on: 17/02/2008 13:03:39 »
As much as i hate linking away from the forum, DPReview.com has some excellent reviews and the ability to compare all cameras that fit your criteria. I would highly recommend it.

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 17/02/2008 13:38:50 »
I don't think a Leica lens would have improved on that, but you have to remember that the best lens only shows up well with the best image sensors.

This is one of the ironies with some of the Fuji cameras, that the mid range cameras sometimes have a better balance because the pixel definition of the image sensor balances the lens used, whereas some comments about the s9600 suggest that the image sensor is good enough to show the limits of the lens (with Panasonic, it is typical that the reverse is true).

In the case of the shot above, one thing that is immediately obvious is the white patch on the rump is saturated and lacking detail.

There is an overall lack of detail in the hairs on the body of the stag, and in the grass; but it is very difficult to say if this is true of the original, or just of the shrunk down original that has been posted.

The image is good, but I would certainly not claim it is as good as a high end digital SLR would achieve (this is not to suggest that anything I do is better - by own equipment is now very dated), only to suggest that better could be achieved with better equipment (the only thing that could have ben improved upon with your existing equipment would have been to slightly underexpose the shot, to bring the rump out of saturation), and then modify the brightness and contrast on the computer.

another_someone

« Reply #27 on: 17/02/2008 13:42:05 »
As much as i hate linking away from the forum, DPReview.com has some excellent reviews and the ability to compare all cameras that fit your criteria. I would highly recommend it.

One of my responses above does have links back to individual reviews in dpreview.com.  I do agree that it is my favourite site for such things, although other sites also exist, but many simply regurgitate the manufacturers spiel, whereas dpreview do some very though in depth testing.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/02/2008 19:06:00 »
I just received my edition Of Which? magazine....they've conducted some tests on some nifty compact (plus) cameras......I can post the results here if you want ! ?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/02/2008 22:20:41 »

In the case of the shot above, one thing that is immediately obvious is the white patch on the rump is saturated and lacking detail.

There is an overall lack of detail in the hairs on the body of the stag, and in the grass; but it is very difficult to say if this is true of the original, or just of the shrunk down original that has been posted.

The image is good, but I would certainly not claim it is as good as a high end digital SLR would achieve (this is not to suggest that anything I do is better - by own equipment is now very dated), only to suggest that better could be achieved with better equipment (the only thing that could have ben improved upon with your existing equipment would have been to slightly underexpose the shot, to bring the rump out of saturation), and then modify the brightness and contrast on the computer.

I dare say my Canon EOS would have taken a better shot if I'd had time to set it up manually (maybe even the Fuji would have been better with a manual set-up), but I saw the herd, jumped out of the car at the side of a busy road, climbed over a wall & took the photo squatting between the wall and a bush. I hadn't gone with the intention of photographing a stag - or anything else at that distance - so the camera was still on auto from taking a few shots of 1 of the horses outside its stable. I didn't even have a tripod with me.

Under the circumstances, I think the image quality is surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: 17/02/2008 22:23:35 by DoctorBeaver »

another_someone

« Reply #30 on: 18/02/2008 02:20:18 »
I dare say my Canon EOS would have taken a better shot if I'd had time to set it up manually (maybe even the Fuji would have been better with a manual set-up), but I saw the herd, jumped out of the car at the side of a busy road, climbed over a wall & took the photo squatting between the wall and a bush. I hadn't gone with the intention of photographing a stag - or anything else at that distance - so the camera was still on auto from taking a few shots of 1 of the horses outside its stable. I didn't even have a tripod with me.

Under the circumstances, I think the image quality is surprisingly good.

I agree totally, it is good (and not least, with any picture, 9/10ths of the picture is composition, and that is good) - all I was saying is that if that is an example of what technically cannot be surpassed, I would say on a technical level it is good, but not unsurpassable.  I have no doubt the EOS would have done better (but, as you say, you have to work with what you have, and the first imperative is to get the shot in the first place).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 18/02/2008 02:20:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length