The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis.... weird symptom  (Read 5317 times)

Offline blueeyes

• First timers
    • View Profile
Sleep Paralysis.... weird symptom
« on: 16/02/2008 01:08:18 »
Hi All,
     I have sleep paralysis. I've had it since I was little, as far back as I can remember. Well recently I've noticed a change in my episodes. I have learned to make myself move something to snap out of it, but lately it doesn't quite work all the way. I make myself move (turn my head, or move my hand / finger, etc.) but I get sucked back into it.... I don't fully come out. This will go on several times before I can really get up & out of it, & by then I am exhausted.
     Well today I took a nap on the couch, I was on my side, & as I was waking (I have SP both upon falling asleep & less likely upon waking) I went into an episode. I had the loud ringing in the ears, then the pins & needles, etc. It was pretty strong though. I tried to snap out of it, but I couldn't get out all the way. This went on for over 20 min. (at one point I did get my eyes open & looked at the clock). I was having a really hard time breathing because mt mouth was shut & I had to breathe through my nose which is severely congested right now. Finally I was able to yell at my husband as he was walking by to help me up... I still feel shaky & my hands feel a bit pins & needles off and on (I do have peripheral neuropathy, but it's like I'm having "flashes" of it, kinda like you'd have hot flashes)
     But, I also had a new symptom that I've never had before & I don't know if it is normal, or if I should be concerned.... At one point the episodes were happening only on  one side of my body. I felt coldness, then the ringing & then slowly from my head down the pins & needles, heard voices only in the one ear, etc. But it was only on my right side. Is this normal with sleep paralysis? Or should I be concerned?
Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2008 08:13:25 »
Hello blueeyes & welcome to TNS.

Sleep paralysis has been discussed here a few times. Have a look through this thread...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=2044.0

Lots of people have recounted experiences there and you may find something similar to that which you experienced.

If not, use the search function to look for more threads.
« Last Edit: 16/02/2008 08:15:27 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2008 01:45:27 »
And as always with something of this nature, contact your doctor or even better a sleep disorder doctor.

Offline blueeyes

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2008 03:01:05 »
Thanks DoctorBeaver........ I will definitely read through the post you linked & see what I can find. I'm really glad I found this forum. There's a lot of interesting topics on here :) I could probably spend all day browsing & reading!

& JimBob....... yes that is good advise. I plan on calling my neurologist the beginning of the week, I didn't want to bother him on the weekend (although if it happens again before Monday I will!)I've chickened out of the sleep study several times, but I know I need to get it done.

Thanks guys! ;D

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2008 08:19:18 »
I'm pleased you like the forum

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2008 08:19:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums