The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: electrolyte for hydrogen fuel cell  (Read 5469 times)

Offline NAM

• First timers
    • View Profile
electrolyte for hydrogen fuel cell
« on: 17/02/2008 15:18:34 »
hi all.

im currently studing electrical engineering, but my chemistry isnt very good.
im trying to make a hydrogen fuel cell, so far everything is going great with it, but i need a electrolyte.

i need a electrolyte thats easy to get and cheap and that can be recycled in the fuel cell(ie recycled = i dont have to keep adding it as it gets used up).

ive tried using NaCl(salt) and its a great electrolyte(ie NaCl in water), but i dont get the O2 i need for my fuel cell when i electrolise it, instead i get Cl2 which i dont want. is there a way to somehow still use the NaCl and get O2 or to get the Cl to react with the NaOH to get NaCl again while still getting the O2 and H2 that i need for my fuel cell?

also whats the net reaction of electrolysing NaCl in water? like i know NaCl + H20 + electricity => NaOH + Cl2 + H2 (yea i know my equation aint balanced) and Cl + H20 = HCL + OHCL and HCl + NaOH => NaCl + H2O and hence a whole lot of reactions are happening at the same time but what what is the net reaction of all these reactions? does all these reactions mearly just make NaCl.

Offline dan dan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2008 15:57:02 »
Use KOH. It's not truely easy to obtain. But you can buy it off the internet easy enough if you can't find it localy. There is no need to add more of it (even when more water needs to be added to the cell) because it is a catylist, and is not consumed. NaOH will grant nearly the same results, but aparently gets mixed in with the hho and can harm your engine. From what I've heard and read though, KOH is the best.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/07/2008 17:13:42 »
Much better to use magnesium sulphate, Mg2SO4, it's much less toxic than NaOH or KOH (which are caustic and really nasty if you get them on your hands) and does the same thing.
It's sold as the hydrate, known as Epsom salts.

The reaction making Cl2 is:
At the negative side:
2H+ + 2e- -> H2
At the positive side:
2Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e-
The electrons are transferred through the circuit from the Cl- to the H+.

HHO is a myth.

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2008 17:40:00 »

HHO is a myth.

Although HOHOHO gas, makes Christmas go with a bang!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2008 17:40:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums