The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Repeating tunes in my head!!!!...Aaaaarrgghh !!  (Read 7940 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Repeating tunes in my head!!!!...Aaaaarrgghh !!
« on: 11/09/2004 00:09:57 »
Dearest lovely Science orientated people,

Why is that sometimes you just can't get rid of a tune, or a ditty or a part of a song in your head ?........what is the process that has been designed to torture one so much ?...and having asked this, have I instigated the same in you ?

In all seriousnous though, there must be some sort of pyschological/physiological mechanism at play here yes ?.....it's even worse when it's a banal mundane annoying little tune.

Would I be over analysing if I suggested that advertsisers may intentionally create dittys that are supposed to be ingrained in your head ?

Please respond in a monotone non reptitive fashion.

Thanks  Neily

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 11/09/2004 00:42:06 by neilep »

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
Re: Repeating tunes in my head!!!!...Aaaaarrgghh !!
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2004 00:20:11 »
Yaaaaawn, What time do you call this?

you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2004 00:43:07 »
I see.....Now I understand...thanks Corbeille.

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2004 14:07:59 »
There has to be something to the use of music and memory. It works wonders when teaching the oceans and continents for instance in the minds of the wee ones I teach. I also know that music and math are linked. Many friends I have that were applied music majors that couldn't get jobs were picked up by math/computer type companies. They told my friends that when they could not hire people who were trained "technically" they would go for trained musicians. So Neil, I have not answered your question but perhaps I have added further confusion for you. Oh like that is hard...hehehehe

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2004 14:08:42 »
Neilep,

That's better, I've had a sleep and time to think it over.
 It seems to be tunes that you would never buy or listen to if you could avoid it. Sometimes I'm two hours into a cycle ride and realise I've been running a crap tune through my head for the last hour.It's nothing to do with my pedalling cadence either. Last week I couldn't get "shine on you crazy diamond" (not crap) out of my head. A plodder of a song if ever there was one. Obviously there is a natural rythmn instinct in the mind somewhere otherwise we would not create music.
Plinky plonky tunes are the worst, you know the type, the ones that people bring back from their holidays in the Med. La Macarana and the likes.  Stock Aitken and Waterman had it sussed and before them the Motown stable of writers. I just wish I could write one.
Hope I haven't put more tunes into your head, sorry!:D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2004 19:02:51 »
You're right there Broca...me um easily confused but thanks for your vital contribution and the addition to my trip down Confusion Alley !!...

Corbeille....Oh yes !!..yes indeedy, the Plinky Plonky tunes are the worse godammn it !!!..if you've ever taken the ride 'It's a small World' in Disney World you'll know the tune I couldnt get out of my head...still...it's all gone now......'It's a small small world after all....la dee dah...dee...................DOH !!!!!)

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2004 20:23:20 »
Broca, You've just hit a note there:D

I learned a little music theory 'cos I play a guitar. I also learned the rules of IP addressing and binary etc 'cos I'm a network engineer. I found that they both required a similar type of thinking.
 I am surrounded at work by lots of amateur musicians - How very odd!

p.s nobody ever ask me an IT related question on this forum please. That all stops when I clock off. I get family members asking me to sort out their broken PCs. It can take hours and I have to do it for free[:(!].
I'll bet Dr Chris has people seeking medical advice every time he goes down the pub. Although that should have a few perks, getting to examine the girls[}:)]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/09/2004 22:12:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by Corbeille

Broca, You've just hit a note there:D

I learned a little music theory 'cos I play a guitar. I also learned the rules of IP addressing and binary etc 'cos I'm a network engineer. I found that they both required a similar type of thinking.
 I am surrounded at work by lots of amateur musicians - How very odd!

p.s nobody ever ask me an IT related question on this forum please. That all stops when I clock off. I get family members asking me to sort out their broken PCs. It can take hours and I have to do it for free[:(!].
I'll bet Dr Chris has people seeking medical advice every time he goes down the pub. Although that should have a few perks, getting to examine the girls[}:)]

Corbeille.....why does my brand new computer refuse to reboot when I install Microsoft SP2....it gets pass the Logo and new  'blue' moving thingy then reboots continuously.....could it be Norton 2004 interfering with it ?....(there ..I hope that has put a smile on your face)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2004 10:54:52 »
I Know A Song That'll Get On Ya Nerves, Get On Ya Nerves, GET ON YA NERVES.
I Know A Song That'll Get On Ya Nerves, Get, Get, Get On Ya Nerves.
I Know A Song That'll Get On Ya Nerves, Get, Get, Get On Ya Nerves. ALL DAY LONG.

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 12/09/2004 10:59:00 by Ultima »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2004 08:53:48 »
We have actually chatted about this on the radio show. The concept of the song that goes round in your head ad-infinitum is known as an 'ear-worm'  and is a consequence of 'brain itch'.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2003.11.09.htm

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14/09/2004 11:57:24 »
Thanks Chris...I'm listening to you now as I type this.....cheers.

Brain itch !...Cognitive scratch !!...brill !

« Last Edit: 14/09/2004 12:20:54 by neilep »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #11 on: 16/09/2004 05:37:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Broca

There has to be something to the use of music and memory. It works wonders when teaching the oceans and continents for instance in the minds of the wee ones I teach. I also know that music and math are linked. Many friends I have that were applied music majors that couldn't get jobs were picked up by math/computer type companies. They told my friends that when they could not hire people who were trained "technically" they would go for trained musicians. So Neil, I have not answered your question but perhaps I have added further confusion for you. Oh like that is hard...hehehehe

I think the reason we lear better by putting things to musi is because we are associating what we don't know with someting we do.  This is very obvious if we put it to a tune taht we already know, but even if we completely make up a song, we are still using common music rules such as chor progressions and keys, taht are ingrained in our minds as familiar even if we don't realize it.  
The little nitty gritty's of music theory work just like a language in that thegy are completely arbitrary and were made up by peopel over history, but we are so exposed to them over our lives taht they become what we are accustomed to.  Just like a language, some cultures have different rules of music theory, and it is possible to learn these but more difficult than learning your own culture's especially at a later age.  There are also different degree's of using the same music theory (analagous to people with different degrees of vocabulary in the same language) there is a certain level to which everyone can understand and use (major/minor chords) and then there are more advanced levels taht are best understood by people who have either had a lot of exposure to them, or are schooled in how to use them.
So if you ask why it is easier to learn somethign when associating it with music, its just like asking why its easier to learn something thats in your native language (or a language at all for that matter) its just a matter of familiarity and association.

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/09/2004 23:13:32 »
I sometimes have this dream - several times now - in fact its more of a nightmare: Rod Stewart singing 'do ya think I'm sexy' and gyrating.[V]

but I always wake up with it buzzing round my head! in fact i always wake up with songs in my head, not always bad ones. Often i start randomly singing bizarre little things (it was 'where did you get that hat' last night) for no apparent reason.

what does this say about the circuitry in my head? don't reply if its bad news.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19/09/2004 23:03:43 »
Do you sleep with the radio on?

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19/09/2004 23:59:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Do you sleep with the radio on?

i always sleep with my radio on... in fact i find it hard to sleep without it. Quite strange! i have it on really loud!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20/09/2004 01:44:28 »
...me too Rich...I always have the radio on ,not music though....just chat....and a fan...I have a fan on too,even in the winter........

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20/09/2004 12:29:05 »
Yeah, my room has to be freezing cold... i have a tendency to overheat quite easily. I'm a chat man myself... usually its James Whale, Ian Collins or Mike Mendoza... not a big fan of Charlie Wolf...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20/09/2004 12:40:33 »
Yea, Charie Wolf can be a bit ' in your face'...well....when I say a bit, I mean a lot !!...but now that I have a DAB radio (Digital Audio Broadcast....but...you probably knew that already !) I've been enjoying BBC 7 which is the comedy and drama channel...they have things like, Dead Ringers and Little Britian (which is excellent eh ?)...but I still love my Talk Sport and have begun listening to Radio 5 Live again too...if anything, cos, it has no adverts !!

Mate...Postie just delivered anothe Orbital CD and I haven't had a chance to play them yet !!!!...aaaarrggghhh !!..building up a back catalogue of unlistened music.....it's not good.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 20/09/2004 12:40:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums