The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Ehrrmm....do Bats Project Their Poo Poo Wee Wee ?  (Read 8730 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Batman,

See these bats ?

Erhmmm...I reckon the one in front is not a girlie !...*cough cough*

Ok, straight to it..how do Bats wee-wee and poo-poo without covering themselves in Guano ?....do they have a projectile mechanism ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I tried this and...well....I may have to bring my annual bath forward a whole year ! (having just had my one and only one last week )

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
Ehrrmm....do Bats Project Their Poo Poo Wee Wee ?
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2008 13:28:57 »
I guess they do that stuff when they are flying, not sleeping! They don't fly upside down!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2008 14:26:32 »
I guess they do that stuff when they are flying, not sleeping! They don't fly upside down!

DOH !!....Y'know...it takes someone like the amazing Carol-A to write a few words that kicks some darn common sense into my dufus head !

I know the caves they frequent are literally filled to the brim with the stuff and I figured that they would ' do their duty' whilst hanging too !!.....I imagine they exit their bowels as they exit their cave.....hmmm....then why do they not  wait till they have exited the cave ?..........I know the guano fuels a whole society on the cave floor...

THANK YOU CAROL-A

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2008 16:12:24 »
From what I understand, they do poop whilst hanging. I had a co worker who had bat boxes attached to her house.  They were always poohing whilst hanging in there box. I assumed they would probably sit upright after eating and then do their deposits before inverting themselves or going to sleep. perhaps it falls behind them cause the pile was always against the back wall of the house and box.your pictures show there fronts, perhaps the rectum is behind them thus just allowing it to drop down behind them o the ground.
The boxes I have seen have intrances from the bottom. Not tons of room for a lot of moving around. may bot upright and upside down. 

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2008 16:58:55 »
They do it while hanging - I know, While foot repelling down a rope into a large sink hole (I was a stupid youngster then - 19) I lost the rope between my boots and slipped, falling about 12 feet onto a huge mound of guano. Thank GOD! If it had been a typical sink hole without a bat population there would have only been sharp rocks at the bottom. I was VERY lucky. And the ammonia in the guano kept any infection form setting in. (Did I mention I wasn't wearing any gloves? That was how stupid I was. Massive rope burns on hands.)

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2008 17:53:43 »
You learn something new every day! Perhaps they like the smell.......

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2008 00:36:10 »
Yes we do!

I wonder how well they do smell? I thought they used they're ears and sound for finding food etc..??
« Last Edit: 06/03/2008 00:38:34 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2008 00:36:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length