The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Drinky bubbles in space...where do they go ?  (Read 4694 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Drinky bubbles in space...where do they go ?
« on: 12/09/2004 17:39:34 »
As a tea totaller and keen observer of the night sky, I was wondering, while sipping my fizzy water what would happen to the bubbles in space ?..there would be no ' UP ' for them to go to eh ?..and would there be a size change too ?...also, If I was to stick my arse out of the capsule and do some bottom-burps !!..would they form nice round smelly bubbles and just hang around  ? or would they diffuse spreading my olfactory gift across the cosmos ?

Your aerated answers would be most welcome...for the alcys amongst us, please feel free to visualise a beer or lager instead.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 12/09/2004 17:40:52 by neilep »

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
Re: Drinky bubbles in space...where do they go ?
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2004 05:51:51 »
Hahaha. Neil, you crack me up! I don't have an answer, but I'm here with...um...holding my...baited breath for some input on this. Good questions.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2004 17:01:23 »
LOL neilep, you do go for the strange stuff. Of course, your bubbles would expand into the vacuum of space, water vapor, CO2, N2, and all. Your arse would fare about the same. In fact, there is a good video of what it would look like at the end of Alien(s). Imagine you're the alien, and are being blown out of the airlock. Sigourney Weaver is optional.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2004 23:25:02 »
Thanks Ronnie, glad to put smiles on your face (all I'm good for really !!....am I winning the sympathy vote yet ?)....

Thanks gsmollin, I appreciate your guidance...I most certainly will not be mooning the stars next time I rocket past Saturn !!...and yes..that's a great scene from the Alien Resurrection....I believe there are plans to make another one too...(sorry...I'm a bit of a Sci-Fi fan)

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2004 01:17:09 »
Quote: "I most certainly will not be mooning the stars next time I rocket past Saturn !!..."

I didn't realize that Uranus orbited Saturn...sorry.

Watching current events today, I saw the "caped crusader" at the palace. Holy embarrassment, Batman!

Just a (Pow!, Crash!) thought,

Ronnie

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2004 02:08:41 »
I saw a movie once, made by astronaughts, where they played with a "bubble" of water.  They poured out the water and it made a glob.  Then he used a straw to blow a bubble of air inside the water.  It stayed right there!  Really cool.  Then he used the straw to "suck up" the water for his drink.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/09/2004 16:29:24 »
OK, you asked for this...

Q: How is a wad of toilet paper like the starship "Enterprise"?

Don't look ! Give up?

A: They both circle Uranus in search of Klingons!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2004 23:48:39 »
Hee Hee...nice one gsmollin...good one !...

Ronnie...You may have started a ' hole ' lot of Uranus jokes now !!...I hope all is well with you and girlyfriend.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 16/09/2004 16:01:06 »
The fizzy drink in space is an excellent question, not unalike the discussion we had regarding flames in space. A flame won't burn on a spaceship because there is no density gradient allowing heat to rise, as their is on earth, so flames choke themselves in their own waste gases and go out.

But turning to drinks in space, a major problem with the weightless environment is that you cannot pour liquids - and it's the container that helps the bubbles to form because the sides (whilst appearing smooth) actually carry small irregularities which act as nucleation centres for bubble formation.

If you 'poured' a drink in space the liquid would just hover in mid air as a blob. The dissolved gas would have no nucleation points and so it would not fizz like a traditional bottle of pop.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 16/09/2004 16:01:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums