The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cortisol and Fat Burning Exercise?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline hollykimalan

• First timers
    • View Profile
Cortisol and Fat Burning Exercise?
« on: 12/09/2004 17:52:21 »
I thought that Fat Burning exercise was initiated by Cortisol being released into the blood stream...so my gym instructor once told me (i fink!).
My own studies have shown this not to be the case..infact the action of cortisol is more sort of unfavourable. Any of you experts got any info on this?
Cheers..

ar

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
Re: Cortisol and Fat Burning Exercise?
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2004 20:06:09 »
Cortisol release contributes to inflammation by stimulating secretion of interleukin-6.  This is believed to have a role in autoimmune inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, can cause calcium depletion in bones and may act as a growth factor for certain tumors.  

I'm not sure of its effect on fat metabolism, but you have to ask yourself...is it worth it?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline hollykimalan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2004 16:42:58 »
Ylide.....I think it sounds like you think I am about to start injecting it into my system.....like I fancy losing weight....or something.
Anyway, thanks for your reply, don't worry I was only trying to see if there was even a shred of truth to the explaination given by the gym instructor. I think some of them tend to give advice way beyond their own personal or professional expertise.
Cheers!

ar

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2004 10:05:05 »
My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you were injecting cortisol.  I don't know that it's commonly synthesized and used.  I may be wrong but I don't think muscular exertion alone stimulates cortisol release...it's more of a stress induced response.  If regular exercise stimulated a large cortisol release, doctors would not exactly be clamoring for their patients to undertake more exercise.  

But yes, most gym trainers have a rudimentary at best understanding of physiology.  I can't say that mine's much better, but I've studied a lot more chemistry than them.  =P  They like to talk a few big words they heard once in a class somewhere, but really weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit and avoiding large blood sugar spikes.  Building muscle tissue by exercise or weight training creates more muscle cells to use excess energy.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/09/2004 13:31:59 »
There's a commercial on the radio that recommends a cortisol pill as a fat burner.  I only know traditional medicine, so I'm not sure if a pill would make any difference at all, or whether or not it's a good idea to use it as a means of weight loss.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 20/09/2004 18:20:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ylide

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that you were injecting cortisol.  I don't know that it's commonly synthesized and used.  

Cortisol is manufactured and sold in enormous quantities, only when it's in a tube or a syringe it is known as 'hydrocortisone' rather than cortisol. They are in fact exactly the same chemical.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/10/2004 01:44:50 »
Then how could cortisol help you lose weight?  Seems like it would cause fluid retention leading to weight gain.

Offline jamesking251

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/12/2009 17:10:51 »
The action of cortisol in our body is to respond to physical or psychological stress, It is a steroid hormone. This has nothing to do with burning fat.

I found this blog that helped me before in achieving my desired body. I hope this will also help you. It is all about  newbielink:http://burnthebodyfatblog.com/how-to-reduce-belly-fat-these-tips-will-save-your-stomach.htm/ [nonactive] without suffering.

Cheers,
Merry Christmas

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 23/12/2009 17:10:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums