The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are your views on SUSY?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
What are your views on SUSY?
« on: 24/02/2008 09:45:29 »
It seems that SUSY could answer a few problematic questions about particle masses, but so far no experimental evidence of SUSY has been found even though collider energies are already high enough to probe the levels at which SUSY particles should, in theory, be discovered (a few hundred GeV). So, maybe they're a bit more massive than scientists would hope.

With the LHC at CERN due to come online in the very near future, greater energy will be available for experimentation. But what if SUSY particles are still not found, or turn out to be a lot more massive than expected? Where would that leave particle physics? Is string theory a viable alternative to SUSY?

Also, would evidence of the existence of the graviton be a clarion call for string theory?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that SUSY seems like a good theory at first glance; but the problem of SUSY particles not having been detected at the expected energy levels throws quite a large spanner in the works. If they are found at higher energy levels, then that casts doubt on the Higgs mechanism which, as far as I'm aware, is the only viable theory for particle masses. So, if SUSY particles are discovered in excess of 1TeV, would that mean that just the Higgs mechanism would need revising, or would QFT in general have to be re-written?

String theory, on the other hand, does seem to offer a genuine alternative but it is thus far largely unformulated and experimental evidence of it will be very hard to come by.

My gut (no pun intended) instinct is to opt for string theory even though after 30 years or so it still seems no closer to describing the real world. There are just too many holes in SUSY that cry out for a more fundamental theory.
« Last Edit: 24/02/2008 09:49:36 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2008 19:56:10 »
The big problem about string theory at he moment is that the strings are arbitrary.  however if you had a space time vortex this has a lot of the attributes of a strring and I would rather see a theory based on the concept of a simple space time vortex.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2008 21:57:46 »
The big problem about string theory at he moment is that the strings are arbitrary.

I fully appreciate that and the fact that no-one has a clue as to which theory is the correct 1.

however if you had a space time vortex this has a lot of the attributes of a strring and I would rather see a theory based on the concept of a simple space time vortex.

I shall have to examine that.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2008 21:57:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length