The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Rosalind Frankin, discovered the Single DNA Helix Structure She's family too!  (Read 56481 times)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Rosalind Franklin, who is a first cousin to Rosalind DNA aka Sally, she was a research scientist and bio-physicist at University College, London with 3 other scientists working in the same field of crystallography diffraction X-ray research science.

She took this in 1953 and they were some of the contributing factors to her early death in 1958 at only 37, where the fact that her Single DNA Helix Structure work was taken/stolen from also all of the X-Ray work she had used caused her ovarian cancer which was discovered in 1956 by a French doctor.

I was only 4years old when she died and this is one of my main regrets is that I never met her.
Although I have always been fascinated by her work since my childhood and as I get older then I have become more aware of my familyís history mainly of my cousin.

She had 3 brothers, Roland, David, both deceased and Colin also Jennifer Glynn, who is a scientific writer too. It is her sister, who is still responsible for looking and contributing most of her photos, work as her executor which youíll see on the Google Images site.
Her father, Ellis Franklin wanted to be a scientist but he didnít have qualifications to be a scientist either, there was a big family row, which caused a rift between her and her father. They didnít speak for ages

Rosalind Franklin, who discovered the single Helix DNA Structure and was a diffraction crystallographer research scientist, also her earlier work was researching into the holes into coal and the tobacco mosaic viruses before taking her first ever now In-famous Diffraction Slide 51 of the Single Helix Structure DNA photo.

Secret of photo 51

Left: the principle behind X-ray diffraction crystallography:

The photograph that Watson and Crick found invaluable in elucidating the structure of DNA is known as 'Photograph 51'. The photograph is the result of X-ray diffraction work carried out by Rosalind while at King's College London in the early part of the 1950s. X-ray diffraction crystallography involves the passing of X-rays through crystal structures. X-rays will appear as dark areas on a photographic plate, so as they are scattered by a crystal as they will produce characteristic patterns on the plate. The actual displacement/scattering of the x-rays is caused by electrons, a constituent part of all atoms, and so the patterns on the plate will be particular to the exact orientation of those atoms within the crystal structure. For this reason X-ray diffraction crystallography is an extremely powerful tool in extrapolating the structure of molecules.

She took this slide in 1953, but when James Watson, Frances Crick, took this Slide from Rosalind Franklinís drawer in the lab when they recognised the Diffraction Crystallography Structure which they rejoiced at seeing by marching into their local pub, saying it was their own work.

The photograph that Watson and Crick found invaluable in elucidating the structure of DNA is known as 'Photograph 51'. The photograph is the result of X-ray diffraction work carried out by Rosalind while at King's College London in the early part of the 1950s. X-ray diffraction crystallography involves the passing of X-rays through crystal structures. X-rays will appear as dark areas on a photographic plate, so as they are scattered by a crystal they will produce characteristic patterns on the plate. The actual displacement/scattering of the x-rays is caused by electrons, a constituent part of all atoms, and so the patterns on the plate will be particular to the exact orientation of those atoms within the crystal structure. For this reason X-ray diffraction crystallography is an extremely powerful tool in extrapolating the structure of molecules
In 1962 James Watson, Frances Crick, Linus Pauling and Maurice Wilkins altogether won the Nobel Prize for Science, because it is never given posthumously (after death), so that Rosalind missed out on the much deserved credit that she should have received

This is something to think on that had Rosalind not died that she should have gained some fame for the discovery of the Double Helix Structure of DNA, even acknowledgement by winning the Nobel Prize for Science.
But this was not possible as her work was stolen out of her lab drawer at the University College, London.

Much to my familyís deep regret, when James Watson and Frances Crick brought out their autobiographies then they never credited but ignored her, for which my father sued them both when their separate autobiographies came out to correct this, which Francis Crick did in the early 1990s, but barely credited her work.

Having called her as nothing better than tea lady also named her by the one name that she detested the most, which was Rosy. Also that she was a grumpy and un-cooperative woman, but this was different from her real character as yes like me she stood her ground but was very co-operative with her fellow scientists, but they were the opposite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/rosalind-franklin.shtml This is by her nephew, Stephen Franklin. Also I never met him either.

This is a link to the coal mosaic holes data she was involved in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1734694.stm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/photo51/anat-flash.html
this is the actual slide link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_51
This is very slide 51.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_sequencing#Early_methods

http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/KR/

http://osulibrary.orst.edu/specialcollections/coll/pauling/dna/notes/franklin-pg01-xl.html

(This took me roughly  2 months to research and get as perfect as I can)

Any questions or answers, conmments that you may have, I will do my best to respond.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Welcome back Home Rosalind! Nice to see you!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am still researching into my family tree and have found several spies in the family although
not my branch of it or Rosalind Franklin's either.

Also Ivor Montagu had worked with Hitchcock as a producer, critic.
Sportsman too. Who also worked for the Royal College of Science in Zoology,
Yes, it is fascinating.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am glad you are still progressing on your family tree Rosalind!

We have found some real  interesting characters in our past family tree information! LOL It is all fascinating!

Good for you continuing on!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I am glad you are still progressing on your family tree Rosalind!

We have found some real  interesting characters in our past family tree information! LOL It is all fascinating!

Good for you continuing on!

Karen thanks for your support and I'd been thinking of giving up a few weeks ago, but
something told me not to stop. Can't remember what though.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I've been there and I am glad you did not give up!
Its a lot of work but you learn some really cool stuff!
« Last Edit: 08/04/2009 01:02:38 by Karen W. »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I've been tere and I am glad you did not give up!
Its a lot of work but you learn some really cool stuff!

Karen yes I know about that feeling whether or not to give up with the genealogy project/work
but then again. I am pleased that I didn't so some days I give it a rest instead of
doing it so intensely.

I have already learnt loads of cool and interesting stuff/facts with more to come I hope.
Easy bit will be asking my close family.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It is a lot of hard tedious work but as you say lots of interesting..stuff.

It is good to take breaks and keep it fun and enjoyable.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Karen yes and now I wish that I had thought of that last year, oh well hindsight is useless.

Learning is GREAT.  :)

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/dna_double_helix/readmore.html 

Something that I discovered only recenlty was that Rosalind Frankin might have been nominated for a possible Nobel Prize for Chemistry with Maurice Wilkins
but we won't find out this until the organisation open their nomination archives,

I will follow all year through and let you know what or if anything is revealed
for the good I hope anyway that Dr Franklin was nominated. I hope that she was.

good piece of Information.. I am too sad!!!  she would have got nobel

Post by Phil1907 click to view.

Offline Phil1907

• View Profile
Perhaps you might try to accomplish something on your own rather than sucking off the memory of your relatives.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/dna_double_helix/readmore.html 

Something that I discovered only recenlty was that Rosalind Frankin might have been nominated for a possible Nobel Prize for Chemistry with Maurice Wilkins
but we won't find out this until the organisation open their nomination archives,

I will follow all year through and let you know what or if anything is revealed
for the good I hope anyway that Dr Franklin was nominated. I hope that she was.

good piece of Information.. I am too sad!!!  she would have got nobel

Thank you, Raghavendra, but don't be too sad, now Rosalind Franklin is better
known than Crick, Watson, Linus Pauling and Wilkins that's good.

Phil1907
Perhaps you might try to accomplish something on your own rather than sucking off the memory of your relatives.

Phill I am researching the whole of my big family tree and it's  project that
I am doing for myself. As to your reference to my family I don't like it.
Remember what Rosalind Franklin has done for the world and as have other members of our families I reckon.   ???

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
My present distant relative I'm researching, Edwin Samuel Montagu
knew a lot of well-known people like Churchill, Asquith, Ghandi,
also he was a contributer to the Balfour Declaration for Palestine in 1917.
 :)

I am having so much educational fun and I might even get stuck with
science stuff then I know which wonderful board to come to for advice/help

Yes The Naked Scientists, who else !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Karen for encouraging me.  :)

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
Karen will always encourage,she is always cool

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Raghavendra Yes I agree, Karen is always Cool !!!!!!!!!
so are you

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Your welcome Rosalind... I hope you have tons of fun learning so many cool things about your family!

I think it is absolutely fascinating!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Raghavendra Yes I agree, Karen is always Cool !!!!!!!!!
so are you

Thanks Ragavandra, and Rosalind.. give yourselves credit for determination as well as dedication to learning and research!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Karen yes and now I wish that I had thought of that last year, oh well hindsight is useless.

Learning is GREAT.  :)

Yes it is Rosalind. I am glad you have found yourself the right pace with which to conduct your research and learn.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Your welcome Rosalind! It sounds like incredible history you are exploring... Wonderful!!

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra

Post by BenV click to view.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What an horrendously tactless remark.  I think it's fairly obvious to anyone that has read this thread that Rosalind is proud of her family and sharing the interesting things she finds as she researches them.  Your comment adds nothing but bad feeling to this thread.

Please try to be a little more tactful, and perhaps more friendly in future.

Post by Karen W. click to view.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
What an horrendously tactless remark.  I think it's fairly obvious to anyone that has read this thread that Rosalind is proud of her family and sharing the interesting things she finds as she researches them.  Your comment adds nothing but bad feeling to this thread.

Thanks for Posting tha Ben..I am sorry to say That I missed that post!

I agree with you and Think it was quite an insulting comment and in poor taste to say the least!

I am proud of Rosalinds politeness in reply to your hurtful comment and am tickled pink that she is learning about her family and taking an active roll in keeping her relatives  accomplishments alive.. this is ruely how we all live on through eternity.. in the pride and joy and memories we pass down to our families... Truely a wonderful hereritage she has and with good reason to feel pride in her lineage....
Bravo Rosalind... and thanks Ben for the heads up...
I do apoligise for not seeing that post Rosalind...
If I had I too would have resonded sooner... I am sorry!

This is a good positive thread so lets keep it that way!

Post by Chemistry4me click to view.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Okay, I'll do that!

Post by rosalind dna click to view.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for Posting tha Ben..I am sorry to say That I missed that post!

I agree with you and Think it was quite an insulting comment and in poor taste to say the least!

I am proud of Rosalinds politeness in reply to your hurtful comment and am tickled pink that she is learning about her family and taking an active roll in keeping her relatives  accomplishments alive.. this is ruely how we all live on through eternity.. in the pride and joy and memories we pass down to our families... Truely a wonderful hereritage she has and with good reason to feel pride in her lineage....
Bravo Rosalind... and thanks Ben for the heads up...
I do apoligise for not seeing that post Rosalind...
If I had I too would have resonded sooner... I am sorry!

This is a good positive thread so lets keep it that way!

Thank Ben and Karen, somehow I missed that post. I don't know why or how.

Karen that's nice of you to say it's a positive thread. It's appreciated loads.

I have had contact from someone all due to this thread and they are writing a book about
Women Scientists which surprised but pleased me loads.  :)

Ok Phil

Offline 112inky

• View Profile
THANK you for this information of the lives of these amazing people.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums