The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Stock Exchange  (Read 7261 times)

Offline qpan

• View Profile
Stock Exchange
« on: 17/09/2004 00:56:29 »
Hi guys,
I was thinking of getting started in investing money. Do any of you guys dabble in buying and selling shares? Is it profitable? Is it risky?
I was only thinking of investing small amounts at first, maybe only 20 per month using Halifax ShareBuilder (which charges 2.50 in fees when i buy shares).
Is it worth it? I'm thinking more long term investment rather than short term, as share prices are low at the mo (but not as low as they've been).
Would you suggest I invest or just quietly shove my money in a 6% interest savings account?

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Exchange
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2004 09:16:07 »
The way the stock market ahs been the last few years I know very little people who have made any money out it...I know for me, all my ISAS, PEPs, BONDS etc etc etc have performed poorly and seem to just be beginning to recover....however...I do know someone who does do eaxctly what you're proposing and in fact if you're prepared to keep a daily check of stocks and shares there is still a lot of money to be made...certainly with savings, I think you have no choice but think of the long term...minimum five years...the longer the better...which, as you say is what you're thinking of...here's a site which may give you guidance... http://www.moneyextra.com/news/centre.html    click on the 'investors centre' tab on top right.  

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 17/09/2004 09:18:38 by neilep »

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2004 00:55:29 »
Damn - should have got those shares in Big Food Group - they rose 10.5 p a share to 102.50p - an 11 % rise in one day! You usually won't get that kinda interest on your money in one year!

-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2004 23:40:39 »
I would not invest in a company without checking on their ethical practices first.  I like PPD on the NYSE.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2004 23:54:46 »
Construction companies are going strong this year so have a llok at the likes of Wimpey and people like that. Steer clear of companies closely related to fuels such as airlines as they will be absorbing the greatest losses through rising oil prices.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/09/2004 01:36:01 »
Failing that, you could always invest your funds in "Neilep & Co" where I can guarantee your returns will be a grateful smile.....what more could you want ?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2004 21:32:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by qpan

Damn - should have got those shares in Big Food Group - they rose 10.5 p a share to 102.50p - an 11 % rise in one day! You usually won't get that kinda interest on your money in one year!

-Edgar Allan Poe

You can find that kind of high return on many stocks.  But you have to realize that you get the same sort of "downside" potential at the same time.  You can lose that much or more in one day as well.

Personally, I can't think of anything more boring than tracking the stock market, but I do know that you have to choose wisely and watch closely.  If you do, you can make money even in today's uncertain markets.  I know some people who are making out fairly well for themselves, with a lot of time involved.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2004 23:29:03 »
quote:
Personally, I can't think of anything more boring than tracking the stock market, but I do know that you have to choose wisely and watch closely.  If you do, you can make money even in today's uncertain markets.  I know some people who are making out fairly well for themselves, with a lot of time involved.

----

I echo your sentiments there John,  I also know a few people who spend far too much time making money (and they do really well) be it stocks and shares or just plain business...but I  also see that they don't have enough time to enjoy the benefits of it, or enjoy a real life....and when they do finally give up, they're all burned out !!

« Last Edit: 21/09/2004 23:29:51 by neilep »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #8 on: 22/09/2004 01:16:07 »
can you FIND a 6% savings account these days??!!  [:p]

also, when is "the Naked Scientist" going public??!!  I'd like to buy some-uh-that [8D]

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22/09/2004 01:34:44 »
Yep, you can find a 6% savings account today...though it may be connected to an equity bond for example ....well...here in the UK you can anyway....and there are quite a few instant access accounts that offer 5 to 5.5% too......of course, some of them have tax implications also.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/09/2004 03:43:15 »
I don't think you can find a 6% savings account, but you can find annuities that offer a guaranteed 6% (or close).  You can find mutual funds that are not guaranteed but are very stable "safe" that do even better than that.  Personally, I like this approach because I don't have to mess with it except for the initial research and some low level monitoring.

Neil, some people really enjoy "making money".  The ones that get rich are the ones that have some skill at it (not the gambling types that love the stock market for the gambling) and like making money more than they like spending money.  There are some like that.  Personally, I love spending money, but the making it is a real drag.

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/09/2004 03:57:52 »
Yep. you're right there John.....If you love your work and as a bonus, the rewards are plentiful, then it's a perfect marriage eh ? or if you just totally enjoy dabbling in the stockmarket and are good at it too, then that's well and great.....

Is itjust me though (and setting money aside),.......but I seem to find people who are besides themselves with glee about their work quite rare these days.

I suppose there are people who either.... (1)work to live......or........(2)live to work.......which one are you ?

I'd have to say , despite my love of music...I work to live.

Oh bother !!...there's probably gonna be some anayltical comments made now about the many other variations in addition to those two choices.

« Last Edit: 22/09/2004 04:01:02 by neilep »

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/09/2004 22:20:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by tweener

I don't think you can find a 6% savings account, but you can find annuities that offer a guaranteed 6% (or close).  You can find mutual funds that are not guaranteed but are very stable "safe" that do even better than that.  Personally, I like this approach because I don't have to mess with it except for the initial research and some low level monitoring.

Neil, some people really enjoy "making money".  The ones that get rich are the ones that have some skill at it (not the gambling types that love the stock market for the gambling) and like making money more than they like spending money.  There are some like that.  Personally, I love spending money, but the making it is a real drag.

----

In the UK its still quite easy to get a 6% interest rate - i'm sure you can find slightly higher rates in the form of fixed long term investments. Halifax offer a regular savings account with an interest rate of 6.05%, which is rather good!

-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/09/2004 22:29:40 »
Abbey have just started advertising one at 6.5%....which is nice !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28/09/2004 04:40:17 »
In the US, I'm getting 0.75% on one savings account.  Zero on the others.

Neil, I'm definitely in the "work to live" mode.  I don't hate my job (it's actually about the best one I've ever had) but if I won the lottery tommorow, then tomorrow would be my last day!

What I meant by people who enjoy making money is not quite the same as someone who loves their work.  I know many people who love their work but don't make much money.  They love what they do, and happen to make enough money to sustain themselves while doing what they love.  Then there are those who like to make money for the sake of making money.  How they make the money is not the point - some are bankers, some are lawyers, some play the markets - whatever - though they usually have their own business.  Their "thrill" comes from piling up the numbers.  They don't do it to have the money for spending, they just like making the money.

----

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28/09/2004 10:48:59 »
I suppose the government in america does want to encourage spending...
Your mortgage rates must be rock bottom?

-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28/09/2004 15:12:42 »
they're starting to climb a bit, just because they've been so low for so long, they can't keep em down here for forever, but it still is a good time if you were ever looking to get into realestate.  Anyone want to buy me a house???  [:o)]

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28/09/2004 23:42:26 »
That's one of the reasons the USD exchange rate is so low. It's good for the local economy to have low interest rates, but it discourages international investment. This is fine for any economy as long as they are self sufficient, but the longer term effects are only felt when the balance of trade (exports compared to imports) is in deficit.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29/09/2004 22:21:27 »
which we are WAY in as far as I know.....    ahhhh...... its SO much fun riding out the Bush admin. part two!!!  God help us if we have to go through another 4 years of this.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 29/09/2004 22:21:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length