The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gain Weight  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Julie

• First timers
    • View Profile
Gain Weight
« on: 17/09/2004 13:08:33 »
:)

How do slim,skinny people put on weight?

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
Re: Gain Weight
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2004 14:38:28 »
Hello Julie and welcome to "the forum with a size ten brain."
I began to put on weight after I changed to a desk job. previously I was working twelve-hour shifts in a mainframe room and running round like a blue-arsed fly. Loading tapes, changing paper in the printers etc...  I kept up my unhealthy eating (pizzas and chips every night) but stopped the exercise. I got exercising again through cycling and returned to my slim svelte shape.

Are you posting this question because you are trying to put on weight? I wouldn't worry about it.  The average person is overweight so you are probably less than average but a still a good weight for your height and age. Check out a body mass calculator on the internet, the BBC health pages have one.
 As we get older we naturally put on weight. look around at people in their thirties and forties and see how they could do with losing a couple of pounds. If you know any lucky people who look younger than their actual age, one of the reasons could be that they don't have a double chin or paunchy tummy (or just an easy life!)

How do you fare on the BMI calculator?

you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck!

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/09/2004 20:33:18 »
if you're in your late teens/early 20's then don't worry - it'll catch up with you soon!! I think I was about 23 when it caught up with me.

I was skinny throughout childhood up til my degree, couldn't put on weight regardless of what i ate, but during my PhD, despite doing stupid amounts of exercise (Gym three times a week, running 3 miles several times a week, cycling to work every day plus the occasional aerobics and yoga classes) steadily put on weight. but the real weight gain came when i finished the PhD, and started a job that required a long commute (by car instead of bike) and left no time for the gym. I'm now doing moderate exercise, still eat rubbish and am at a steady weight at the top end of the 'normal' BMI scale.

I've found that if I'm happy then my weight is normal, and if I'm stressed it goes up. must be something hormonal (it can't be the comfort food!) equally some people lose weight when they're stressed. so if you're generally happy, and not showing other symptoms of illness, then enjoy wearing that bikini while it still fits!! (that was the advice given to me when I was 20)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2004 12:04:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Corbeille

Hello Julie and welcome to "the forum with a size ten brain."

what the hell does that mean "forum with a size ten brain" ? Is that a compliment or an insult ?! ;)

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2004 14:58:57 »

what the hell does that mean "forum with a size ten brain" ? Is that a compliment or an insult ?! ;)

It's a compliment of course:)
I know that Julie will be as impressed as I am by all the super- intelligent people who reply to her.

Size comparison - UK size ten = XXXL :D:D

you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2004 14:58:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length