The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How safe are Expired Prescription Medications like Hydrocodone and others?  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are expired medications ok to use.

I found a bottle of hydrocodone in my medicine cabinet that expired 7/06.  I also have a prescription for vicoden that I use when the pain from my fibromyalgia becomes extreme. 

Long story short, I was on the phone not paying attention to what i was doing and I took the wrong pill.  The one that expired in 2006.  I'm pretty sure the pill still works becaues I'm extremely sleepy and can barely keep my eyes open, but are they still safe?
« Last Edit: 05/03/2008 08:27:04 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Still no reply Carolyn?? Well lets move it to the front!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Nope....no reply's yet.  Thanks for bringing it to the top Karen.

Obviously I survived taking the expired meds and they still seemed to work, but still wondering about the effectiveness & safety of all expired meds.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes I would think that they may loose some effectiveness. I would think if they don't require refrigeration then they might be ok, but less potent! I will look for you too!

another_someone

Expiry dates on meds are rather like use by dates on food - it could be fine for some time afterwards, or it may not.  Depends on the meds, and on the storage conditions (if kept cool, most meds will last longer, and in the fridge, longer yet - but the same is not true of all meds, so you have to know the meds you are dealing with).

Again, even what the meds are mixed with can have an impact, so it can be almost impossible to tell without knowing the total mixture, and the processing techniques.  Which is probably why nobody jumped in to say they know exactly what the effect of two years out of date meds would be.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums