The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: K-K modes, particle flavours & warped extra dimensions  (Read 2140 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
I have not posted this thread in New Theories as I am not presenting it as a theory. It is merely a very long-winded question.

As most of you know, I am not a physicist so please bear with me as I have to try to explain this in layman's language rather than physics-speak or mathematics.

I've been thinking about higher dimensions that are curled up (compacted) and particles that travel in them. If a particle has momentum in a higher dimension then special relativity says that will translate into extra mass in the 4D spacetime that we perceive. The smaller the higher dimension, the greater the particle's energy and, hence, the greater its mass that we see. The particle's wave can only oscillate in that higher dimension in certain ways - ways that are an integer times the compacted dimension's size.

If a particle has no momentum in the higher dimension then there will be no extra mass. The wavelength of the lowest energy particle that will have greater mass is equivalent to the circumference of the dimension it has momentum in. As the wavelength decreases, so the particle's energy will increase in proportion.

K-K modes are particles that have the same charge as Standard Model particles but greater mass due to their momentum in a higher dimension. Their mass is directly related to the size of the extra dimension and the wavelength of their oscillation. So, any increase in mass due to greater oscillation will be related to the size of the dimension. In other words any such increases will be in regular steps that are integer values of the dimension's size.

However, what if the higher dimension is warped? That would mean that its size would vary depending on position. It follows, then, that any particles oscillating in that dimension would be able to have different energy levels depending on where they were as their wavelength could vary in a non-integer manner (although it would still be an integer value of the dimension's size at that point). Any increases in mass due to oscillation rate would not occur as a regular pattern. That would mean that we should be able to detect particles with an infinite variation in mass but with the same charge. That is clearly not the case as none have been detected.

So, what if the warping of the higher dimension were not smooth but, rather, in sharp, drastic steps - rather like irregular quanta. The size of the dimension would jump. That means that the masses of any particles that have momentum in that dimension could only take certain values and there would be no pattern to the differences.

What that means is that you would get particles with the same charge as those of the Standard Model, but with different masses that appeared to bear no relation to one another.

Isn't that what we see with particle flavours? For instance...

These flavours, then, resemble K-K modes that are an indication of particles' momenta in a warped higher dimension.

I do not flatter myself so much as to think I have conceived something no-one has thought of before, so there must be some reason why this cannot be right. Can anyone enlighten me and put me out of my misery before my brain explodes?
« Last Edit: 02/03/2008 08:14:46 by DoctorBeaver »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums