The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Freespaces .com where did it go?  (Read 8784 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Freespaces .com where did it go?
« on: 08/03/2008 16:12:54 »
My website was hosted by freespaces.com but recently all websites hosted by them have gone down including mine. As their main website is also down the service e-mail is also not working. How do I find out where it went and will it ever return. I need my website for my business.

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2008 17:04:26 »
Not sure what is happening with freespaces.com.  I don't use them, but looking around, there seems to be no DNS records for them, which would explain why you cannot reach them.  There is still a WHOIS entry for them, so technically the domain still is owned (by a company in Florida), but there are no servers for that domain presently recognised on the Internet (not simply that the server is down, but the Internet does not even know where to look for the server).

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2008 21:28:45 »
Oh bum! I rent my site name and at the moment it is linked to this freespace site. Is it easy to redirect it to a new site?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2008 23:17:07 »
Relatively easy

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2008 20:28:42 »
Have found an e=mail address for them now.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2008 20:33:18 »
A lot of free hosts have disappeared overnight. Because they're free (and most rely on ads for revenue), there's no guarantee how long they'll last.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2008 20:42:29 »
I'm trying to get some information back that I hadn't backed up, once I've got it I'll use your suggested host, but who's to say that won't go too.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2008 20:45:45 »
It's been around for a long time and isn't run the way most other free hosts are.

Offline dlscool

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/12/2008 13:26:26 »
My website was hosted by freespaces.com but recently all websites hosted by them have gone down including mine. As their main website is also down the service e-mail is also not working. How do I find out where it went and will it ever return. I need my website for my business.

sorry to hear that they closed or they are not allowing people to have websites anymore but I have an alt to them which is newbielink:http://www.zymic.com [nonactive]

they have webhosting with NO ADS ON ANY PAGES and if you would like to you can also pay for the paid service which is only $5/MO (that price is round up) and for the free version of site you get the following:

they have 6000MB of disk space 50GB of bandwith
PHP / Mysql (only 5 database for each free accounts) but you can have as many hosting accounts as you want for free or under the free accounts (w/ 5 datatbases for each hosting account made)
their is no limit on how many hosting account you can have with them
but note sometime the subdomains that you get are not always the some one like for exp I made one few months ago and its subdomain was vndv.com but now my new ones I make are at uuuq.com just know that.

FTP file management (sorry to tell you this but 1 ftp user)
paid version may give more)

ad-free hosting (said that above)

can win free .com,.net,.org, and .info (win and get your own custom newbielink:http://www.name.com [nonactive] domain name)
and many more
(vist newbielink:http://www.zymic.com [nonactive] to find out and they have many layout too and support forums too)

I help this would help you out!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 09/12/2008 13:26:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums