The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is the speed of light in a vacuum 300 million metres per second?  (Read 21546 times)

Offline Guthers

• View Profile
Sure, but irrespective of what units we apply to it, light still has a maximum speed of a certain value. Why is it that value, 300 million metres per second?

Chris
I think this is the same as asking why the speed of light is finite at all, since any numerical value we assign to it is purely arbitrary, depending on our perception of whatever time is. Other than that I like AI42's answer, that it can't go any faster because there's no fuel left to push it.

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
within the known universe there is no free space if i'm correct, otherwise the temperature of such free space would be the absolute zero which it is not.

about the speed of light, i think that's covered by theories that the speed of light is constant in respect to the size of the universe, it can be higher / lower in a bigger / smaller universe.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Space can't be zero, nothing can Leto. HUP takes care of that as you try to measure. Why canít we get down to absolute zero? As for the question itself I agree with Guthers. What's important with the 'speed of light' is not its local 'speed', but that this speed will be measured to be the same in/from all 'frames of reference", defining a very strange universal truth. Lights speed is a 'constant', unvarying, no matter how fast you expect (define) yourself to move as you measure that infalling starlight in your spaceship, that's what's weird with light.

You could make a clock ticking faster and define a length scale other than what we use, but using that clock and that measuring stick you would still find it to be a constant for all frames of reference (in the modern interpretation)

Offline simplified

• View Profile
Energy is quantity of shared time of motion . Fast object gives time of motion even to very far objects. It reduces own time of motion.Try to think about it. :)

Offline simplified

• View Profile
Change of energy changes distinction of quantity of meters in distance.

Offline simplified

• View Profile
Mass needs energy for motion
                          mv^2/2=mc^2(g^2-1)/2g^2
But the energy in the mass needs energy for own motion
                          (g-1)mc^2 - mc^2((g^2-1)/2g^2
g - gamma factor
m - mass
c - light speed
v - speed

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines