The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do they make semi skimmed / skimmed milk ?  (Read 17898 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How do they make semi skimmed / skimmed milk ?
« on: 17/03/2008 14:45:55 »
Dear Milk Experts and Milkers of Cows and Other Milk Producing Fauna,

See My Bovine ? She's Veronica !

See my cow run...run cow run !...being delivered next Tuesday !

Veronica is a very klevur Bovine....cos she makes all of these different types of milk !

Full Cream..*le yummy*......Semi-skimmed....Still *le yummy*..and then skimmed ..*Le white water yuck !!*

Now...I know as ewe do that this is the reason why Veronica has more than one teat....because each one delivers the above different milk......LOL....though...somebody told me this was not true *guffaw chortle....yeah right  ::)..ewe can't fool me !!*....they are silly !!....but....just to humour them I thought I'd ask ewe how the different milks are made......and where does the fat go from the semi-skimmed and skimmed milk ?

Make me proud and confirm that Veronics does it and delivers it on tap !!

THANK EWE !!

Hugs ewe all...shmishes ya too !!

xxxxx

« Last Edit: 22/03/2008 18:10:01 by chris »

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do they make semi skimmed / skimmed milk ?
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2008 22:16:49 »
psssssttt- Neil

There's a small knob located beneath the base of the tail- just turn it to your selection and PRESTO!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2008 22:26:01 »
psssssttt- Neil

There's a small knob located beneath the base of the tail- just turn it to your selection and PRESTO!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY !!

see ?.....THANK EWE MR BASS SIR !!........I win 5 !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2008 22:36:01 »
LOL LOL..... Good one bass!! LOL..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2008 22:39:23 »
Really its all in the way you manipulate the teat... depending on your milking method.... or how rough or gentle you are.. All those lovely girlies like to be milked differently you know!...Yes.... its all in the hands!!!!... LOL!

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2008 09:42:29 »
I would've thought they'd just skim the creamy/fatty bit off the top of the tank of milk before the milk gets homogenised. The milk fat then goes into making butters, cheeses, butter milk (...ICE CREAM!! :P) and the like. You could always make your own 'skim milk' by diluting it with water just to bring the fat percentage down...but you'd also get a similar decrease in the percentages of protein and sugars (lactose)...and it tastes terrible!

The composition of milk also varies with the breed of cow that produces it, so a particular breed may be chosen to produce milk suitable for a particular purpose. For example, the cheese industry tends to go for a higher fat, higher protein type of milk. So in terms of breeding dairy cattle, it used to be all about getting cows that would produce milk with the highest fat content possible, since farmers were paid according to the fat content of their milk. But more recently the trend has been towards a lower fat, higher protein milk.

Friesian cows, such as lovely Veronica, are the masters of milk production in terms of yielding large volumes. And the fat content of their milk is lower than for most other dairy breeds. That makes them, at least here in Australia, the ideal breed to produce large amounts of skim(mer) milk.

...now I've forgotten what the question was. :)
« Last Edit: 18/03/2008 09:45:24 by SquarishTriangle »

lyner

« Reply #6 on: 18/03/2008 10:04:55 »
When I worked in a creamery in the 60s, they used a centrifugal separator. The cream was sold, the skimmed milk was dried and fed to pigs, the pigs's crap was used as fertiliser on the fields where the cows grazed and the cows' milk was put in a centrifugal separator. Then. . . . 
Now that's what I call recycling.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2008 13:00:40 »
When I worked in a creamery in the 60s, they used a centrifugal separator. The cream was sold, the skimmed milk was dried and fed to pigs, the pigs's crap was used as fertiliser on the fields where the cows grazed and the cows' milk was put in a centrifugal separator. Then. . . . 
Now that's what I call recycling.
*le gulp*

It seems I have lost my 5 !

THANK YOU very very much for your last two posts.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.

Clearly they must know the precise fat content and the exact amount to extract/skim off to resolve the correct type of milk. This makes me wonder that there then must be official guidelines as to what consitutes semi-skimmed and skimmed milk and then I wonder also if this is an international standard too.

And you know what ?...you MUST be right about the ' skimming'......hence the name of the milk !!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

THANK EWE SOPHIECENTAUR !!

lyner

« Reply #8 on: 18/03/2008 20:30:31 »
Yes there are standards; I was sometimes allowed to test the milk to find the fat (cream) content. Mostly I was a delivery driver - all over Cornwall. Got my first ticket for speeding in an A35 van!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/03/2008 20:51:47 »
I would've thought they'd just skim the creamy/fatty bit off the top of the tank of milk before the milk gets homogenised. The milk fat then goes into making butters, cheeses, butter milk (...ICE CREAM!! :P) and the like. You could always make your own 'skim milk' by diluting it with water just to bring the fat percentage down...but you'd also get a similar decrease in the percentages of protein and sugars (lactose)...and it tastes terrible!

The composition of milk also varies with the breed of cow that produces it, so a particular breed may be chosen to produce milk suitable for a particular purpose. For example, the cheese industry tends to go for a higher fat, higher protein type of milk. So in terms of breeding dairy cattle, it used to be all about getting cows that would produce milk with the highest fat content possible, since farmers were paid according to the fat content of their milk. But more recently the trend has been towards a lower fat, higher protein milk.

Friesian cows, such as lovely Veronica, are the masters of milk production in terms of yielding large volumes. And the fat content of their milk is lower than for most other dairy breeds. That makes them, at least here in Australia, the ideal breed to produce large amounts of skim(mer) milk.

...now I've forgotten what the question was. :)

How could I ignore this awesome post too from Mr SquarishTriangle !

THANK YOU indeed for this awesome and very informative post.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/03/2008 21:04:13 »
Yes there are standards; I was sometimes allowed to test the milk to find the fat (cream) content. Mostly I was a delivery driver - all over Cornwall. Got my first ticket for speeding in an A35 van!!!

;) ;)Apart from going over a cliff...how on earth can you break the speed limit in one of these ? ;D ;D

LOL...was the speed limit 15mph ?

lyner

« Reply #11 on: 19/03/2008 11:09:35 »
To be fair, there was a 40mph limit on those vans (a "40" sticker on the back). I was doing all of 55 when the police car clocked me.
I can't remember mine being that shiny tho'.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/03/2008 11:24:59 »
To be fair, there was a 40mph limit on those vans (a "40" sticker on the back). I was doing all of 55 when the police car clocked me.
I can't remember mine being that shiny tho'.

55 mph ?....I am impressed...the thing must have been rattling !!...What a wonderful thing to drive !

Dare I ask if you can recall what the penalty was in ' those days ' ?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #13 on: 19/03/2008 16:21:31 »
I have to admit that I don't like the taste of milk and rarely drink it as when I was young and at school I was forced to drink 1/3pt every day.

In those day it was full cream milk, unpasteurised and put next to an open fire to warm it......yuck!

Too late for me but I'm glad Maggie stopped that practice.

The only time I have milk now is in tea and that's semi skimmed and very little.

lyner

« Reply #14 on: 19/03/2008 22:04:06 »
I think it was 15 and 'an endorsement' on my licence!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20/03/2008 00:12:24 »
I have to admit that I don't like the taste of milk and rarely drink it as when I was young and at school I was forced to drink 1/3pt every day.

In those day it was full cream milk, unpasteurised and put next to an open fire to warm it......yuck!

Too late for me but I'm glad Maggie stopped that practice.

The only time I have milk now is in tea and that's semi skimmed and very little.

I remember Maggie being slated for taking away the milk..seems, she did you a favour TMM.

I have to say, I've recently been enjoying black tea.....you should try it...it's quite refreshing !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20/03/2008 00:13:48 »
I think it was 15 and 'an endorsement' on my licence!

I reckon that 15 was quite a lot in those times....it certainly seems a lot more than the 60 (I think !)...we get fined today !!

...and you've been a good boy ever since ?

lyner

« Reply #17 on: 20/03/2008 10:01:27 »
Fairly clean, since 1963. I did have an accident at the traffic lights on Oxford Circus in about 1969. Would you believe, I MISSED THEM!! Three points.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #17 on: 20/03/2008 10:01:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums