The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does IE load up but not display ?  (Read 5256 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Does IE load up but not display ?
« on: 17/03/2008 16:06:59 »
Dear Geekmeisters,

sometimes, when I load IE(5) it doesn't display !...the only way I know it's running is by checking ctrl,alt delete !....so why does it do this sometimes !! ?

Thanks

win XP etc etc...Toshiba Laptop.....512mb ram la dee dah !!

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2008 17:02:07 »
You are still using IE5 on XP?  XP was shipped with IE6, and many people have upgraded to IE7.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2008 17:08:24 »
You are still using IE5 on XP?  XP was shipped with IE6, and many people have upgraded to IE7.

SORRY ..My mistake !!! (i've been making a few today !!,,,,,)...I am in fact using IE6 !!....does this help ?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2008 21:05:18 »
Dear Geekmeisters,

sometimes, when I load IE(5) it doesn't display !...the only way I know it's running is by checking ctrl,alt delete !....so why does it do this sometimes !! ?

Coz it's a pile of doo-doo.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2008 21:22:30 »
Dear Geekmeisters,

Coz it's a pile of doo-doo.

Well......I'm convinced !!

Thanks DokTorr Beevurr.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/03/2008 22:10:39 »
you could always try running Windows Update sometime. It should take you to IE7.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/03/2008 22:38:08 »
you could always try running Windows Update sometime. It should take you to IE7.

THANK EWE Turnipsock....I do have my PC autoupdate but I have chosen to not install IE7......there was one issue when I was updating an online diary and IE7 displayed all the dates and txt in HTML and I just could not make it out with all the colours, fonts, and hues....whereas...for some reason IE6 displays it as a ' what you see is what you get ' format !!.....

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2008 07:50:19 »
IE7 is certainly better than previous versions. But it is still resource hungry compared to other browsers.

There is also another issue that I've heard of, but I'm not sure how much truth there is in it, and that is that sites that are not coded specifically for IE will be displayed slower. What I mean by that, and we've all seen them, are sites that say "We recommend you use IE to view this site" or links that automatically load IE when you click them even though IE is not set as your default browser. Then there are those you can't download from unless you're using IE. That really hacks me off!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/03/2008 13:08:49 »
IE7 is certainly better than previous versions. But it is still resource hungry compared to other browsers.

There is also another issue that I've heard of, but I'm not sure how much truth there is in it, and that is that sites that are not coded specifically for IE will be displayed slower. What I mean by that, and we've all seen them, are sites that say "We recommend you use IE to view this site" or links that automatically load IE when you click them even though IE is not set as your default browser. Then there are those you can't download from unless you're using IE. That really hacks me off!
I have to say that since you recommended Kmeleon (remember ?)..I have used this too and it still outperforms.......though there are still some compatibility issues etc.
Since the demise of my desktop, all i use now is a rather tired Toshiba laptop with only 512 ram......Firefox uses a lot of memory too....and I find that this computer can grind to halt when i have quite a few windows open............I can imagine that IE7 will be even more memory hungry....as you say !!I believe there's a new beta version of the latest Firefox.....anyone tried that ?

Offline fishwhiz

• View Profile
    • ponds and lake construction
« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2008 03:36:41 »
Ewwwwwe  IE7 hates my notebook!   My touchpad loses all its great features like the gesture to go back a page in my history by sweeping a finger along the top.  ( ALPS touchpad) 

I tried IE7 but gave up due to this.  I see many others have had the same trouble online , but M$ must not be interested in helping.  I am sticking with IE6 on Win XP.  It does just fine. 

Back to your original Q...  I notice in Windows Task Manager that it still shows IE and firefox running after I close them down, so I manually close them in Task manager.   Just another reality if Windows I spose.  uggggg !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2008 03:36:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums