The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: bigfoot  (Read 4748 times)

Offline deweys hamster

• View Profile
bigfoot
« on: 22/09/2004 11:46:09 »

i am hoping that someone out there can answer if feet keep growing?  the last few times i have tried to buy new shoes it seems that i need the size up.  it wouldn't be a problem except that i am uk womens size 8 (or thought i was anyway) and you're lucky to find anywhere that does shoes this size.
in the meantime, i'll be cutting the toes out of all my shoes and joining the sandal brigade!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2004 16:27:47 »
I can answer this , I'm an authority on feet growing orienteted stuff.....Oh hang on !!..no, i'm not...DOH !!...but I do have a lot of experience with feet as I've had them all my life.

Dewey, how old are you ?....I'm sure once you reach a certain age, around the late teens and early twentys you probably would have done all the growing you're gonna do (except when you hit middle age and your tummy starts to develop 'love handles' and then old age when you start to shrink)

In my total lack of biological expertise I would hazard a guess that 20 is the cut off when you should stop growing (unless you have one of those growth diseases like Robert Wadlow (in the 1920s)did, which was attributed to an over active pituary gland, which is today treatable)....you're not over eight feet are you ?

Anyway, your age is paramount so, spill the beans, and some lovely medical/biological person will answer you..:)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline deweys hamster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2004 19:47:19 »
my age...well is it ok to say that i am over 30.
i did seem to continue growing until approx 19-20 but...well i am over six feet and so that had better stop there!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2004 20:47:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by deweys hamster

my age...well is it ok to say that i am over 30.
i did seem to continue growing until approx 19-20 but...well i am over six feet and so that had better stop there!

No, it's not alright to say your over thirty !!!!..Join the club Dewey !!...apart from the fledglings here (bless their little cottton socks)...I think us 'Over Thirties' are probably amongst the majority.......I would suggest a poll but I doubt we'd get full participation....you included eh ?...anyway...getting back to your feet problem...err...have you tried cutting your nails ?:D...perhaps there is a diagnostic solution that a passing chiropodist can offer.....cripes !!..I just did a search and there seems to be quite afew sites offering foot related answers...here's one  http://www.footandankle.com/askdpm/askform.html   and another  http://www.ourfootdoctor.com/ask.shtml   good luck :)

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2004 21:16:00 »
Well for my sake I'd hope they would keep growing, im sporting a size 9, which for my age is really small!  I buy a size bigger to git in but it makes it impossible to run the pacer in.

To see a world in a grain of sand.

Offline deweys hamster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/09/2004 16:41:54 »
neil, thanks for the sites.

quote:
im sporting a size 9

omni, this looks like international retail differences.  i think that us size 9 is equivalent to uk size 7.  i wouldn't have said that this was an uncommon size in the uk for men- there always seems to be size 7 available when i'm looking in shops.  however it wouldn't be worth your while buying stuff over here because no doubt it is much more expensive.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/10/2004 01:28:18 »
I thought my feet stopped at size 8 1/2, then they grew a little more, at about age 24, to 9, and then when I got pregnant, they grew again to a size 10.  If it's any consolation, they haven't grown any more since then.

Offline deweys hamster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/10/2004 22:42:02 »
wow- very strange coincidence but it does coincide with recently having a baby. (not something that they warned me about though)
thanks bezoar
« Last Edit: 12/10/2004 22:42:55 by deweys hamster »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/10/2004 09:18:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by bezoar

I thought my feet stopped at size 8 1/2, then they grew a little more, at about age 24, to 9, and then when I got pregnant, they grew again to a size 10.  If it's any consolation, they haven't grown any more since then.

Were your feet pregnant too nancy ?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15/10/2004 00:29:25 »
Felt that way.  They got pretty swollen then.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/10/2004 21:56:15 »
In high school I was size 5, throughout the 20s grew to 6 and during pregnancy grew to 7.  Have spoken to many women whose feet grew during pregnancy and stayed the larger size.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 16/10/2004 21:56:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums