The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can drinking coffee prevent colds?  (Read 7258 times)

Offline MedK

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can drinking coffee prevent colds?
« on: 18/03/2008 16:44:01 »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me.  I use to get frequently get colds.  But ever since I started drinking coffee(about a year) I rarely catch any colds.  I use to suffer from colds every month.  I don't drink an excessive amount of coffee, max two cups a day.  I was wondering does my coffee drinking habit have anything to do with  increase tolerance against cold viruses?

Thanks

Mod edit - formatted the subject as a question.  Please try to do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2008 11:33:37 by BenV »

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2008 21:10:27 »
I hope this is true! Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any evidence at this time that coffee can prevent colds. Of course, I couldn't even find any research into this, so you never know! Chinese herbal medicine links coffee with lung health, and I did find an article saying that coffee can decrease the severity of cold symptoms, but nothing on it actually having an effect on the virus. Studies are finding that coffee is an excellent source of antioxidants, which can help in the prevention of heart disease and cancer, and may have an effect on your body's overall health and immune system.

Coffee has been hotly debated in the medical/nutrition arena for many years. But hey, if it works for you, keep doing it!

Offline MedK

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2008 13:25:26 »
hey thanks for replying!

I was wondering do you happen to know where you saw the article about how coffee can reduce the cold symptoms? It sounds very interesting and I just wanted to find more about this.

Thanks

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/08/2008 01:36:55 »
there was a recent(ish) study done on the benefits of caffeine on premature babies... maybe there's a connection there?
Anecdotally, I gave up all forms of caffeine while pregnant and subsequent feeding of my babies.. and noticed no difference in the incidence of colds... nor a decrease after I was seduced back to that full flavoured goodness.

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2008 21:48:48 »
MedK,

Here's a link regarding the research:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=59820/

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2008 22:19:37 »
I do a bit of singing and am not allowed to drink coffee or tea before a performance. They say it increases mucus but I think it is the milk in the drink that increases the mucus. Increased mucus may help fend off a cold as mucus moves bugs away from areas of infection. I don't know if this helps but it is only a guess. Milk is also good for you so the increased intake with coffee may help also. I am assuming you take milk of course.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2008 03:24:22 »
but I think it is the milk in the drink that increases the mucus.

I'd agree with that.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2008 03:24:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums