The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is a woman's handrwriting usually better than a man's?  (Read 10032 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear People Who Write With A Pen (I prefer a pencil !...yes..yes I do )

Isn't handwriting a curious thing ?......

Why does it seem (in general) that girlies handwriting is neater ?.... easier to read ?

why does it differ so much from one person to another ?.....

Do families share familiar characteristics to their handwriting ? ? ?

When is the last time you actually wrote something and what was it ?..Is the art of actually writing a letter dead ?

whajafink ?

« Last Edit: 22/03/2008 18:02:28 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think men have a harder time of it because the size of their muscles in their arms and hands.. I know men who can write beautifully but I think it takes much practice and when it comes down to it it is best to have a light touch and yet good control as well as tons of practice with your penmanship!Artistic flair helps also.

I write often with my hand. I wrote a letter just a week ago.... a letter to a lawyer! LOL! I don't think it is gone, but I do see more typed letters and much less formal then they used to be.. a lot of form letters these days then they are copied and sent to many people from the same copy.. It is quite common these days.. I am not into form letters they are so impersonal ..It is a good way to send a yearly one to all family like at Christmas etc..

Like my moms voice I also shared her handwriting and our handwriting was very similar! I should scan hers and mine... so you could see. My sisters is bubbly mine is more formal..

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Why does it seem (in general) that girlies handwriting is neater ?.... easier to read ?

When is the last time you actually wrote something and what was it ?..Is the art of actually writing a letter dead ?

whajafink ?

There is, partly, a cultural reason: girls have practised "good handwriting" since they were younger, as part of their femininity and "sensitivity" (in quot. marks because it's often just the external image they want to transmit). A man, instead, usually have and/or want to transmit the image of speed, decision, synthesis, strenght. Anyway, I agree that many girls' handw. are usually: more round, letters closer to one another, shorter "long" letters (f, p, q, l) that is, less extended towards up or towards down, with more curls, ecc. and is partly due to their feminine nature (usually those graphological signs pertain to femininity, but the issue is complex). However it's not always so; don't know how many people's handwriting you analyzed.
« Last Edit: 20/03/2008 13:38:38 by lightarrow »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I just love handwritting... I always like to see and examine penmanship from different people.

If in a hurry or don!t care..mine can be very sloppy..butit can also be very neat and proper!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I think men have a harder time of it because the size of their muscles in their arms and hands.. I know men who can write beautifully but I think it takes much practice and when it comes down to it it is best to have a light touch and yet good control as well as tons of practice with your penmanship!Artistic flair helps also.

I write often with my hand. I wrote a letter just a week ago.... a letter to a lawyer! LOL! I don't think it is gone, but I do see more typed letters and much less formal then they used to be.. a lot of form letters these days then they are copied and sent to many people from the same copy.. It is quite common these days.. I am not into form letters they are so impersonal ..It is a good way to send a yearly one to all family like at Christmas etc..

Like my moms voice I also shared her handwriting and our handwriting was very similar! I should scan hers and mine... so you could see. My sisters is bubbly mine is more formal..

THANK YOU KAREN,

I would be very interested to see examples of yours and your mothers handwriting.

If there is any clarification in that men right poorer because of their muscles then perhaps bigger pens would be better. Chances are, the ' writing implement' was a blokes invention so you would expect them then to be bigger anyway.

hmmmmmmm !!

Thank you again Karen....it would also be nice to see your sisters bubbly handrwiting

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

whajafink ?

There is, partly, a cultural reason: girls have practised "good handwriting" since they were younger, as part of their femininity and "sensitivity" (in quot. marks because it's often just the external image they want to transmit). A man, instead, usually have and/or want to transmit the image of speed, decision, synthesis, strenght. Anyway, I agree that many girls' handw. are usually: more round, letters closer to one another, shorter "long" letters (f, p, q, l) that is, less extended towards up or towards down, with more curls, ecc. and is partly due to their feminine nature (usually those graphological signs pertain to femininity, but the issue is complex). However it's not always so; don't know how many people's handwriting you analyzed.

THANK YOU ALBERTO (BTW..I LOVE ITALY !!)

Your cultural reasoning seems very very rational and totally plausible.  I tend to agree...when I write...I want to get it done asap......and my writing is usually hurried and unkempt...though, I can write neater if I concentrate.

I haven't analyzed anybodys handwriting but over the years I have noticed that girlies handwriting is more ' bubbly'...more curvy (just lime girlies are !!)...and blokes....more with accent of speed !!....These ARE generalizations.

It was brought to my attention today because my daughter has received a few birthday cards,........ and comparing the differences in handwriting was the 'agent' that led to me to ask the question.

THANK YOU

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I will gather some examples.....and scan them in!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Your cultural reasoning seems very very rational and totally plausible.  I tend to agree...when I write...I want to get it done asap......and my writing is usually hurried and unkempt...though, I can write neater if I concentrate.

I haven't analyzed anybodys handwriting but over the years I have noticed that girlies handwriting is more ' bubbly'...more curvy (just lime girlies are !!)...and blokes....more with accent of speed !!....These ARE generalizations.

It was brought to my attention today because my daughter has received a few birthday cards,........ and comparing the differences in handwriting was the 'agent' that led to me to ask the question.

THANK YOU
Thank you for your appreciation. I tried to study (for fun) graphology and the subject interests me.
P.S. If you find a woman which handwriting has long horizontal parts of the letter "t", escape from her as fast as you can!  :)
« Last Edit: 23/03/2008 20:31:47 by lightarrow »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

THANK YOU
Thank you for your appreciation. I tried to study (for fun) graphology and the subjects interest me.
P.S. If you find a woman which has a long horizontal part of the letter "t", escape from her as fast as you can!  :)

Why ?....does it mean that she's an axe wielding murderer or something ?  ;)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why ?....does it mean that she's an axe wielding murderer or something ?  ;)

In a sense...you would be her victim.
It means she would make you her slave; especially if the angle of the letter's axis don't vary much from a letter to another and if the letters "p", "q", "g" and the lower part of "f" go much down and with a special strenght.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Why is a woman's handrwriting usually better than a man's?
« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2008 22:53:36 »
can you show us what you mean with the diagram tool?This mouse is very hard to write with mine is generally slightly more slanted... you try writing with a mouse!LOL!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/03/2008 00:11:11 »
OK Here is a poem I have been working on in my handwriting... I don't know if the scanner does it well enough but have at it ! Alberto!..LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2008 00:12:12 »
Its coming out lighter on the scanner.. its more even on the paper!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21/03/2008 00:23:42 »
Here I wrote it again in blue ink a bit darker and a heavier hand..

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21/03/2008 22:24:12 »
Here I wrote it again in blue ink a bit darker and a heavier hand..

Karen, the handwriting must be done in a white and clear sheet of paper, without any line at all and you have to put your signature in the end (as you have done here). Remember, however, that it's not possible to see the pressure of the writing on the paper, from a computer image, and this is a missing piece of information. If you could write with a stylograph (= fountain pen) it would be better from this point of view.
« Last Edit: 23/03/2008 20:30:07 by lightarrow »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/03/2008 22:37:06 »
can you show us what you mean with the diagram tool?This mouse is very hard to write with mine is generally slightly more slanted... you try writing with a mouse!LOL!
About the letter "t" I intended something like this:

the other things I said are very difficult to write with the mouse.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/03/2008 23:10:02 »
I will do another for you tomorrow.. Lol But I do not have a stylist I am assuming that is for writing on a computer screen eh, or in a program??

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/03/2008 08:11:12 »
I will do another for you tomorrow.. Lol But I do not have a stylist I am assuming that is for writing on a computer screen eh, or in a program??
I'm a bit dumb in these day; what did you mean?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why is a woman's handrwriting usually better than a man's?
« Reply #18 on: 23/03/2008 08:44:58 »
LOL.. Your not dumb...Alberto.. I meant that I will write another note on a blank paper( white paper with no lines) 

I do not have a stylus to write with..  is that some kind of computer pen?

Hey I write differently when I am in different moods or hurried is that normal!! LOL!

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: 23/03/2008 12:52:48 »
Interesting topic..

I"ve got this guy friend that writes neater then girls. It's scary. Ha.

I do like Kayla's handwritting though :) but yeah I have no asnwer :(

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23/03/2008 12:59:39 »
I've always wondered this, and it annoys me too... when i mark kids work at school, even some year 7 girls have prettier writing than me. Its not fair.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23/03/2008 14:15:09 »
LOL.. Your not dumb...Alberto.. I meant that I will write another note on a blank paper( white paper with no lines) 

I do not have a stylus to write with..  is that some kind of computer pen?
Are you asking me about the term "stylograph" I wrote in my post? It's just the pen with liquid ink reservoir inside that people used before the biro.
Oh, my...! My italian-english dictionary deceived me! The correct name, as I see in wikipedia, is "Fountain Pen"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_pen

Hey I write differently when I am in different moods or hurried is that normal!! LOL!
It depends, if you write a word in a way and the subsequent word in a completely different way, then you would consider the idea to go to a psychiatrist!  ;)
Of course it's normal, don't worry.  :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23/03/2008 16:00:06 »
Yep  thats what I meant.. a fountain pen!

LOL... Oh dear me... I am in deep doo!! LOL!Good I am glad I am normal.. Hey I have my grandmas writing example my great grandmas my moms my sisters and I will get my daughters today! So hopefully by tomorrow I will add some samples!
« Last Edit: 23/03/2008 16:05:04 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #22 on: 23/03/2008 16:00:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums