The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Dense Can Water Get ?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Dense Can Water Get ?
« on: 25/09/2004 18:28:22 »
Under Pressure....great tune by Queen and David Bowie but can water be under so much pressure that it can effectively become more viscous or solid ?...I know that in the deepest ocean the pressure is 16,000 pounds per square inch but there never seems to be an indication that the water itself is squashed !!!

Release that tension and let the answer be all runny and gooey.

Many Thanks

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Re: How Dense Can Water Get ?
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2004 21:29:59 »
Hi, water is pretty special, it is actually less dense as a solid than it is at 4 C - liquid! something to do with the rigid bonds that make the solid pushing the H2O molecules further apart than when they were just a pretty cool liquid. as it heats up above 4 C i think it becomes less dense again, probably something to do with the extra energy causing the molecules to buzz around. I can't really remember it all exactly!

If i remember rightly this amazing property of water is due to its dipole, the charges on the hydrogens and oxygen are unevenly distributed, so electrostatic interactions form - hydrogen bonds.

to be honest, I've got no idea if water can be condensed under pressure. because I've what I've said above i would guess it would have to remain a liquid in any case.

i hope someone can enlighten you a little more than I'm able to!

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2004 22:30:50 »
Water is less dense in solid form due to hydrogen bonding - without this special type of bonding, life would probably not exist as instead of ice forming on the surface of water and creating an insulating layer, it would sink to the bottom causing far quicker freezing of all the water.

Water is very difficult to compress, like all liquids. In very deep areas of sea (1-2 miles deep) the water pressure compresses the height of the sea by only several metres (5-10 metres)!

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/09/2004 02:23:17 »
I know this really isnt an answer, but I remember watching cartoons and such where they dived so deep in the sea that eventually they crashed through a ceiling of water and ended up in a cave.  They would get out of there sub, look around to see water flowing upward into the semi solid wall of h2o above.

I wonder if its possible....[?]

To see a world in a grain of sand.

Offline Broca

• View Profile

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/09/2004 20:25:03 »
Thanks for the link Broca......that's about as gooey as you can get !..thanks

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Broca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/09/2004 00:40:58 »
Your welcome Neil...I tossed it on without much fanfare this afternoon...but when I saw it, sad to say, I thought of you! :-) I found the results of that study most amazing, not what you would have thought.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 30/09/2004 00:40:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums