The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is The Universe Inside A Reflection ?  (Read 6867 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Is The Universe Inside A Reflection ?
« on: 24/03/2008 14:01:50 »
I thought I asked this once before but a search reveals nothing so perhaps I was having a  ' deja vu ' moment !

See this mirror ?

Nice eh ?

See the 5 year old thing inside it ?..and then the door ? and then the room ? and then the window ?.....through that window is outside and outside is everything !.....does that mean that ' everything ' is inside my mirror ?.....is the Universe inside a reflection ?

If I look at a mirror in a specific way..I can see things which are not directly in front of the mirror at all !!...some are even behind it !!!.........how come I can see them when they are not directly in front of the mirror ?

« Last Edit: 24/03/2008 14:03:23 by neilep »

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 24/03/2008 17:33:59 »
We, and by that I mean sighted humans - or, I suspect, humans who have ever been sighted - tend to think of the World in terms of our visual perception of it.
There is one huge, familiar exception to that and it is the inside of our mouths. We have an entirely different model in our minds, in that case. If you ever look inside your own mouth, with a small mirror, for instance, it appears as a totally alien place, nothing like the one we know and love to explore with our tongue.
So what's that all about?
Well, when we look at the world in a mirror, it is just as valid a place as the world we 'see, directly, with our eyes. After all, what we 'see' is only a sampled version of an image which is projected onto our retina. In order to appreciate it and to interact with it we need to build a model / map in our minds.
Back to the mouth again; a dentist has an excellent way of viewing his or her world of 'inside your mouth' and can operate tools, perfectly, in there by using the model which is NOT in the mirror, but inside the brain.
You would have to talk to someone who has never, in fact, seen and find out how they actually 'image' the world in which they live. I would be surprised if it is, essentially, different from that of a sighted person - loads of spacial relationships and very three dimensional. Because they have never, actually, 'seen' the vaulted ceiling of a church or the Moon, they may have a different sense of distance but I guess that when they walk around a familiar room, they are using an almost identical map, in their heads, as a sighted person. Ideas of distance may well be a bit fuzzy; I imagine the 'perception' of large distances (tens of metres, perhaps) will be a bit like a sighted person's perception of astronomical objects, they all seem much the same distance away but we can all do the sums and use our ' intellect' to extend our model.
So, to sum up; universe in a mirror is just as real as a universe seen directly in our eyes.

And just in case this was a simple 'optics' question'; our eyes can only observe the light which enters them. If a mirror or lens redirects the light coming from an object then all our eyes can do is to assume that the object is in the direction from which the light has arrived. Our brain makes what sense it can out of that information. If light comes from the front of a mirror then we HAVE to assume that it has come THROUGH the mirror so we 'see' the image behind the mirror. The actual position of the (virtual) image that we see is the same distance behind the mirror as the object was in front. (Assuming a plane mirror, of course; curved mirrors just add to the confusion).

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2008 17:58:17 »
Nice mirror.. whats it made of.. the frame part that is?

Is it stained glass or metal?

By The way that Five year old is sure getting big.. She looks like she has lost all her baby looks in that picture... LOL Boy they grow up fast...

I have also noticed that about mirrors its like if you get closer and look to the side from and angle you see tons more stuff you can't see when looking straight into it.. It is as if you can get closer and see the whole surround and some from side top and bottom... It is odd!
« Last Edit: 24/03/2008 18:04:59 by Karen W. »

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 24/03/2008 22:33:37 »
It is as if you can get closer and see the whole surround and some from side top and bottom... It is odd!
But you can never quite see a full hemisphere. . . .

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 24/03/2008 23:19:44 »
If you have a mirror that is in the form of a sphere and look at it you can see a complete 360degree view of what is around you but the very edges of the image are extremely distorted and difficult to interpret.

To take up your question.  You are totally contained within your own skin.  What you "see"is a model of reality created by your senses and projected on a display area somewhere inside your brain.

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2008 13:27:02 »
I think we tend to forget that. Each of us has their own universe and none agrees with that of someone else's.
Ask two different people to describe a room. They will see the curtains, the people or the electrical fittings, depending on their particular slant. Each is valid; none is absolute.
Too many people in these forums ask what 'really' is the case in models of the World. that is very naive.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/03/2008 20:25:33 »
THANK YOU for the fascinating posts.

Gosh !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 28/03/2008 20:25:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines