The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: We didn't get Monty  (Read 4675 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« on: 24/03/2008 21:38:11 »
We got Monty instead. Let me explain.

We went to the rescue centre to see Monty as planned. What a fabulous dog he is. And huge! Unfortunately, though, he was aggressive towards our Staffie, Shiloh. We couldn't have that. Under the circumstances, we decided not to take him.

However, the chap who runs the rescue centre told us about the kennels a few miles away that acts as the local dog pound. We went there, getting lost 3 times in the process, and had a look round. There was a medium sized mongrel that we fell in love with. She looked a bit like Mogwai from "Gremlins". She was a lot smaller than what we were looking for, but there was just something about her.

The kennel assistant brought her out to meet Shiloh & the brats and they all got on really well. Then another member of staff came out & told us she was already reserved.

We'd seen another dog in there that we liked so we decided to have a closer look at him. He was duly brought out to meet Shiloh & the brats and everything went well. 15 minutes later we were on our way home with him.

We got him just in time as they can't keep dogs indefinitely. If they haven't been claimed or re-homed within a certain period of time, they have to be put down. This dog only had a couple of days left.

At the kennels they don't know anything about the dogs they get; they're all stray or abandoned. Consequently, we're not sure what type of dog he is or how old. However, using my immense knowledge and experience of all things canine  [^] I reckon he's Rottie x Great Dane; about 6-8 months old. We've decided to call him Monty  :)

He's about as tall as a Doberman already, but underweight. We think he's been neglected, so our 1st priority is to build him up. His paws are huge, so we reckon he's going to be a BIG dog.

He & Shiloh had a bit of a set-to when we got home, so I separated them and gave them a good talking-to; laying down the law in no uncertain terms. Monty had a bit of a grumble at me later and showed his teeth. Bad mistake. He is now in no doubt whatsoever who's boss! Well, you can't have a dog that size taking liberties; and if it's not nipped in the bud while he's a pup, we could have serious issues with him further down the line.

I was going to take some pics of him but the batteries in my cameras are flat. I'll try to take some tomorrow & post them here so you can see him.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2008 03:16:24 »
He & Shiloh had a bit of a set-to when we got home, so I separated them and gave them a good talking-to; laying down the law in no uncertain terms. Monty had a bit of a grumble at me later and showed his teeth. Bad mistake. He is now in no doubt whatsoever who's boss! Well, you can't have a dog that size taking liberties; and if it's not nipped in the bud while he's a pup, we could have serious issues with him further down the line.

I was going to take some pics of him but the batteries in my cameras are flat. I'll try to take some tomorrow & post them here so you can see him.

I wish the 'good talking to' I gave Benjamin and Digger had worked!  Hope it works with your new pup.  Good luck with him and can't wait to see the pictures!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #2 on: 25/03/2008 04:55:32 »
Sorry bout Monte number 1.. Is the other women going to come rescue him or has he now been put down?

I am glad you found an acceptable dog for your home and he brings you years of friendship and good companionship!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #3 on: 25/03/2008 07:32:17 »
Monty #1 won't be put down. The kennels where he is keep them indefinitely.

At the kennels where we got Monty #2 there were about 60 dogs. I wanted to take them all.

I couldn't believe the number of Staffies & Staffie cross dogs they had there. There must have been 8 or 9, plus at least 3 at the first kennels.

There were other dogs I really liked and would have taken given half a chance. There was a fabulous Rottie - a big, bouncy 1. He was jumping up at the front of his kennel and was easily reaching my head-height. But there's no way we could have a dog that big & bouncy with kids around.

Another was a gorgeous little Jack Russel who hopped around on his back legs at the front of his kennel each time I went close.

The other dog I really liked was an Akita cross. I think he may have been Akita x British Bulldog because he wasn't as tall as a proper Akita, but twice as wide. His head was as wide as a small car! But, again, Akitas are not ideal family dogs and they certainly don't get on with other dogs; at least, not usually.

Some of the others they had were 3 GSDs, a cople of other Rotties and Rottie x, Border Collies, 1 that looked a bit like a lumpy Westie, a Schnauzer x, and lots of non-descript mongrels. They also had a Weimeraner. How anyone could lose or abandon a dog like that is beyond belief!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2008 02:05:33 »
Thats so sad, I love Staffordshires but stupid Ontario government banned them... they aren't pit bulls!!!

another_someone

We didn't get Monty
« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2008 02:31:48 »
How anyone could lose or abandon a dog like that is beyond belief!

I imagine that they just underestimated the amount of work a big dog takes (and the amount of food).

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2008 07:50:01 »

I imagine that they just underestimated the amount of work a big dog takes (and the amount of food).

That's no excuse to simply abandon a dog (if that's what happened). There are good owners in this country crying out for dogs like that. It may have been a stray, but, surely, the owner would have contacted the local pound to see if it was there. Now, if no-one claims it and they can't re-home it, it'll be put down. There are so many strays that they can only keep them for about 8 days.

The same goes for all the dogs there. It breaks my heart knowing how many dogs will suffer that fate through no fault of their own. All they want is a loving home. I thought England was known as a nation of dog-lovers.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #7 on: 26/03/2008 22:48:40 »
I have no real proof but I think the dog nextdoor gets a fair bit of abuse. They feed it well enough but it is the punishment it gets. They leave it tied to a tyre which is tied to a washing line. They have had visits from the local dog warden as it frequently escapes.
I'm allergic to any animal I have ever had lots of contact with. That means every animal I have ever liked. My youngest son wants a dog but I couldn't have one in the house. I don't like the idea of a yard dog. I also believe dogs need to work at what they were bread for otherwise they get bored and cause trouble. This is why they end up being chucked out. I have long haired cats but I struggle with those when they shed.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2008 00:59:10 »

.... I'm allergic to any animal I have ever had lots of contact with. ....

Humm, you have been making a lot of typos lately.

I want a dog so bad. I had to give mine up when I lost my home because of the bills from cancer treatment. I am OK now but I don't have my two bird dogs. 

I will get another hunter when my ship comes in.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2008 01:03:32 by JimBob »

another_someone

We didn't get Monty
« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2008 02:13:35 »

That's no excuse to simply abandon a dog (if that's what happened). There are good owners in this country crying out for dogs like that. It may have been a stray, but, surely, the owner would have contacted the local pound to see if it was there. Now, if no-one claims it and they can't re-home it, it'll be put down. There are so many strays that they can only keep them for about 8 days.

The same goes for all the dogs there. It breaks my heart knowing how many dogs will suffer that fate through no fault of their own. All they want is a loving home. I thought England was known as a nation of dog-lovers.

There is a difference between asking why someone does something, and suggesting that the reason is a valid excuse for doing it.

With your background in psychiatry, you must have come across situations where you seek to find explanations for actions even as there is no excuse for the action.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #10 on: 27/03/2008 18:48:48 »

There is a difference between asking why someone does something, and suggesting that the reason is a valid excuse for doing it.

With your background in psychiatry, you must have come across situations where you seek to find explanations for actions even as there is no excuse for the action.

You're right - except for the fact that I'm a psychologist.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #11 on: 27/03/2008 18:49:32 »

I'm allergic to any animal I have ever had lots of contact with.

Including beavers?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #12 on: 27/03/2008 18:50:52 »

I want a dog so bad. I had to give mine up when I lost my home because of the bills from cancer treatment. I am OK now but I don't have my two bird dogs. 

Sorry to hear that, Jim. I hope you get another dog sorted out soon.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #13 on: 27/03/2008 21:18:04 »

I'm allergic to any animal I have ever had lots of contact with.

Including beavers?

Can't say I've stroked too many beavers.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
We didn't get Monty
« Reply #14 on: 28/03/2008 08:26:26 »
 :-X

The Naked Scientists Forum

We didn't get Monty
« Reply #14 on: 28/03/2008 08:26:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length