The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: POLL: Did we land on the moon?  (Read 23994 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #25 on: 21/04/2013 21:17:53 »
Isn't that potato land? Idaho?
Always liked potatoes.

so the moon stones come from Idaho then?
=

Eh, moon rocks I meant.
And so it does.

« Last Edit: 21/04/2013 21:23:18 by yor_on »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/04/2013 21:56:04 »
The potato shaped moon rocks must have been from Idaho.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22/04/2013 01:13:37 »
We are getting us a TOE here methinks.
One thing left, what about electricity?
NASA:s idea too?

And what is really inside those bulbs?
Pyrophorus?

I find NASA rather cruel if so. leaving them to die, or is the 'electrical cable' only a euphuism for some sort of tube from where they come? Could be, could be. Well then, no animal cruelty at least.

Offline confusious says

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17/05/2013 11:04:06 »
This is still a tricky one, when I was 15 years old and on a school holiday in France, I can still see the headline news in a newspaper 'La Homme sur la lune!' please excuse the spelling if wrong, I was so excited as most of us were, although I have some doubts now about the landing on the moon, I think they did actually travel round the far side of the moon, and after seeing those structures they NASA decided it was not a good idea to land. Interestingly well before video recorders were available to the general public, I can remember whatching a TV documentary about wierd things and astronaughts and missing people, the program was titled 'Science Report' and I'm sure it was broadcast on Granada TV, or possibly Thames TV station around 1977 possibly 1978, In it one of the astronaughts Buzz Aldrin says, (and they mention he is saying this under the influence of taking a lot of alcohol), ''Do you think we need a bicycle to get up there?'' he was refering to aparently what he had seen on the far side of the moon, alien spacecraft we presume, but he was loud in his slurred speach and when asked for further details, he said '' cut, that's it, I've said enough''  at that time I did have a sound recording of this program, but sadly it has been lost. The only thing that lends any credence to the validity of the space walk, is the low gravity effect you see when they bounce around. If anyone here on the naked scientist knows of the TV broadcast I'm talking about, I'd like to hear from them.
« Last Edit: 17/05/2013 13:13:05 by confusious says »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17/05/2013 18:57:21 »
Even now, it would be hard for special effects to create fake footage of people moving around on the moon - everything they do in CGI still looks to me like a cartoon, but the moon landings look real.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19/05/2013 19:17:48 »
Even now, it would be hard for special effects to create fake footage of people moving around on the moon - everything they do in CGI still looks to me like a cartoon, but the moon landings look real.
Some of it could be faked by suspending a person with a cable and pulley system, giving them the effect of low gravity, especially in the bulky space suits.  Or, perhaps, building a lightweight robot in a helium filled suit. 

But, judging by the number of Hollywood blockbusters that have created 100% realistic lunar scenes, it is hard to imagine that NASA could have faked it 50 years ago.

Undoubtedly, it would have been cheaper to just send man to the moon than to try to fake sending man to the moon.

Offline John Burnap

• Lover of Science
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24/06/2013 17:27:21 »
Of course humans have been to the moon. They almost stayed there too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 24/06/2013 17:27:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length