The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Should scientists be allowed to work with human hybrid embryos?  (Read 10820 times)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Recent News in cloning human hybrid embryo’s

My take on this research is that it should be carefully scrutinised before any legislation is passed allowing this to move forward.

Why?

There are many virus and bacterium that affect many animals and are not passed to humans because there is no way forward for this natural barrier to be crossed.

I believe that by crossing the cells of humans with animals this natural safety net will be gone forever.

Scenario’s

1. A microbe is cloned along with some samples and creates a new strain that can cross from animal to humans

2, Someone who has received the DNA from a cloned embryo becomes a carrier after receiving a common microbe that changes it’s behaviour in someway rendering it highly contagious and no apparent method of controlling it.

3. Laboratory cross-contamination to lab Staff or from Lab Staff.

4.   Germ warfare is a primary goal of this research, or a spin off from it, wither way can we really trust people that have a lousy track record in irradiating people deliberately to see how long they will survive, telling people painting radium dials on watches and aircraft clocks, whose jaws had decayed they have syphilis instead of radiation sickness. Exposing our own troops to biological and chemical contamination while telling them they are merely testing a cure for the common cold. The list goes on, so should we put our trust in our governments who have morals lower than a dachshunds wedding tackle?
5.   Laboratory leaks of harmful organisms as in the case of the last outbreak of foot and mouth disease?

Or am I reading too far into something that has no risks attached to it?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2008 16:09:34 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Andrew.. I respect your opinion. Do you think you could post something about this most recent new news in cloning as some of us Me Included have not heard and do not know exactly what the news is so we can know from where you gather your information  for  what you base your opinion on...

It would be nice if I knew what the news was! ;) :)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
I think its a good idea as it will let the scientists look into stem cell production from cloned embryos to help with a cure for parkinsons, Alzheimer's etc .

I also think all your scenarios will be looked into during the research process, without this research we would never know if you were right. Its better to do the research and find all the dangers and make an informed decision on the way forward than do nothing know nothing and halt possible progress . At least here in the UK all aspects will be put under intense scrutiny with more chance of the dangers and problems being looked for and found than it would be in a unlicensed lab in another less ethical country .

Also i think the use of animal embryoes at present is mainly due to their extra availability during the resarch process and not as a source for any future products which may be created for any treatments in the future.

Also as most people with Alzheimer's are no longer at the age where their producing children their would be very little chance of things being passed from one generation to the next.

Karen the link below is for you
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080118102223.htm
« Last Edit: 30/03/2008 22:49:45 by ukmicky »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Michael.... I appreciate that! I will go check it out!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Sorry Karen just found this thread again, been too much going on in my home lately.

Should biotech piggy go to market?
 Email story
 Print
   Choose text size
 Report typo or correction   
Consumer advocates worry that the FDA is throwing open the barn door too quickly to genetically engineered animals

Mar 29, 2008 04:30 AM
Rebecca Clarren
salon.com

Behind locked doors, past a shower, where humans are required to rinse, more than 25 pink pigs crowd into hay-covered pens at the University of Guelph.

They look like regular Yorkshire pigs: Their eyes gleam like black marbles, they snort, and they scarf dinner from a trough. "These pigs behave like pigs; they do everything a pig would do," says John Kelley of MarS Landing, a Canadian agricultural development program. Except for one thing.

These pigs have been modified to carry a gene from an innocuous strain of E. coli that has been spliced with a protein from a mouse. The added gene enables the animals to produce the enzyme phytase in their saliva. This enzyme, say Guelph researchers, could solve one of the major environmental problems associated with industrial pig farms.
http://www.thestar.com/sciencetech/Technology/article/350675

THE EMBRYO DEBATE
The case for: by Doctor Stephen Minger
Comment | Read Comments (37)
WHAT WE are interested in doing is taking skin cells from people who have known genetic forms of major neurological disorders - such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease and motor neurone disease - and putting them into an egg which has had its own DNA removed. In that way, we create an embryo and can extract cells that we can turn into human embryonic stem cells.

In the process of doing this we will make cell lines which encode genetic mutations which cause Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and so on.

We can turn those cells selectively into whatever cell types are most affected in each of those particular disorders. In Alzheimer's patients, certain cells in the brain have died - but these are very different to those cells which die in patients with Parkinson's disease.
http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.2140438.0.0.php

Andrew.. I respect your opinion. Do you think you could post something about this most recent new news in cloning as some of us Me Included have not heard and do not know exactly what the news is so we can know from where you gather your information  for  what you base your opinion on...

It would be nice if I knew what the news was! ;) :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Andrew I read Michaels and now will read this,.. (Eore mode), "Thanks for remembering me."

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums