The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can Prozac cause illnesses, or make users more susceptible to infection?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline BAZ0000

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Apologies if this subject has already been covered by another thread, but I am very concerned about a friend of mine, a female, who suffers from (what her GP regards as) 'mild' depression. She'd been prescribed a course of Prozac 3 years ago and is still on them.

What does concern me, however, are her constant illnesses. She constantly suffers colds, 'flu' like symptoms, coughs, sore throats, and fatiguing more often than one would expect, but what's worse is the fact that her moods and emotions are all over the place. We generally conceive that a textbook characteristic of Prozac (or similar) typically suppresses heightened emotions and make the vast majority of people who use them more 'flat' in character, don't we?

Furthermore, I have advised her to talk to her doctor in much more detail about the constant influx of illness she would appear to suffer and how frequently they occur, but she's not really said that her Doctor has helped in anyway. Naturally I reccommended that she see another doctor, change her doctor or at least get enough professional advice from an alternative body.

Can anyone expand on why her illnesses are becoming more frequent and if there are, or could be issues relating both her obvious low immune levels and Prozac? I sincerely welcome your views.

Regards,
Barry

« Last Edit: 06/04/2008 10:28:53 by chris »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile

another_someone

I would think depression itself can cause reduced effectiveness of the immune system.

Also, people who are depressed sometimes end up setting into a somewhat sedentary routine that may not help fight off infection.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
I would think depression itself can cause reduced effectiveness of the immune system.

Also, people who are depressed sometimes end up setting into a somewhat sedentary routine that may not help fight off infection.

I'm not sure about George's first point, although it is certainly likely; but his second point is definitely valid.

Many of the things we do in everyday life that help us fight infection can be affected by depression; for instance, not eating properly. Many depressives "can't be bothered" to cook real dinners and live on junk. Personal & household hygiene may also suffer.

Offline BAZ0000

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks all, I've taken a look and it's been of some help in recognising these symptoms. I guess my friend has taken quite a defeatist attitude toward changing her medication or seeking alternative means of help, but I will continue to at least try to advise her that there are other options to Prozac!

Thanks.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
I wish her well.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums