The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hypnosis.. - Does it really work for some people?  (Read 9373 times)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
 ???

another_someone

Hypnosis.. - Does it really work for some people?
« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2008 15:43:54 »
What do you mean by 'work'?

There are people who have been helped by therapeutic hypnosis.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2008 01:47:49 »
Apparently it works on 'highly suggestible' types...

Lisa: Watch yourself, Dad - you're the highly suggestible type.
Homer: Yes, I am the highly suggestible type.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2008 13:22:26 »
There have been times in recent years that I wished I was a hypnotist.. do you think hypnotists have trouble getting their babies to sleep?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/03/2008 13:31:24 »
LOL.. no just get a little pendulum clock thing and BIONG they're asleep ;D

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 29/03/2008 14:46:47 »
Have you not heard this very recent news story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7309947.stm

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/03/2008 18:23:57 »
???

In hypnothic state (trance) it is possible (at least for some people), to have surgical operations without anesthesia (it was on a Scientific American article some years ago). This can give you the idea of how hypnosis can be effective.
« Last Edit: 29/03/2008 18:26:07 by lightarrow »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: 29/03/2008 19:48:55 »
Hypnotism is widely used to help people quit smoking and seems to enjoy a good success rate.

In one study it was 3 time more successful than nicotine patches.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29/03/2008 23:10:11 »
???

In hypnothic state (trance) it is possible (at least for some people), to have surgical operations without anesthesia (it was on a Scientific American article some years ago). This can give you the idea of how hypnosis can be effective.

Wouldn't it hurt when you wake up?

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 30/03/2008 06:11:18 »
???

Wouldn't it hurt when you wake up?

Hypnosis is about suggestion, not necessarily about going into any sort of trance.  The suggestion can last long after the hypnosis session finishes (that is why it works, when it does work, for people who give up smoking - otherwise you could ask why do they not start smoking again after the hypnosis session is over).

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30/03/2008 10:44:12 »
Ohh..

I watched Top Gear the other day.. And Richard Hammond got hypnotised, and didn't know how to drive a car. Is this possible?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2008 15:16:30 »
My Mother in law used hypnosis to quit smoking.  It worked great for her, she can't even remember ever smoking.  Didn't work for me.  I had to do it the hard way.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2008 15:21:41 »
Wow.. That's cool
Do you need to see a hypnosist.. Or just by reading?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/03/2008 15:32:33 »
Wow.. That's cool
Do you need to see a hypnosist.. Or just by reading?

Sorry Seany...maybe having a blonde moment here, but I have no idea what you mean. :)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30/03/2008 17:46:03 »
I mean did your mum have to see a person who does hypnosis, or was it just like a book or a tape or..

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30/03/2008 20:02:38 »
Ohh..

I watched Top Gear the other day.. And Richard Hammond got hypnotised, and didn't know how to drive a car. Is this possible?
Sincerely I don't know that program, however I'm quite skeptical about the possibility to hypnotize everyone and in a TV program.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30/03/2008 21:16:08 »
I hate dentists! I hate those injections they put in your gum. I hate it when you have to dribble for the rest of the day and don't realise when you bite your tongue.
Then I went to a dentist that believed in hypnotism. I'm the biggest sceptic in the world but when he said that he could do the filling without giving me an injection I was well up for it.
He played relaxing music, the technician held my hand and the lighting was different to your average dental surgary. I can't say that I didn't have any pain but the experience was much better than I had experienced before.
I think a lot of alternative therapies rely on making someone feel human and cared about. This is certainly what is missing from a lot of NHS treatments.
However, be careful, hypnotism can be terrible if misused!!!!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30/03/2008 21:56:45 »
I hate dentists! I hate those injections they put in your gum. I hate it when you have to dribble for the rest of the day and don't realise when you bite your tongue.
Then I went to a dentist that believed in hypnotism. I'm the biggest sceptic in the world but when he said that he could do the filling without giving me an injection I was well up for it.
He played relaxing music, the technician held my hand and the lighting was different to your average dental surgary. I can't say that I didn't have any pain but the experience was much better than I had experienced before.
I think a lot of alternative therapies rely on making someone feel human and cared about. This is certainly what is missing from a lot of NHS treatments.

About the dentist, I have a strange story to tell, don't know if you could believe me.
One day the dentist had to make a lot of work on my teeth and I was experiencing moments of bad pain. Suddenly, the "pain" became a sort of "dark spot" who moved away from me and went on the room's wall. In that moment I stopped feeling pain. I'm telling the truth.
It's also for things like this that I believe in hypnosis.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30/03/2008 22:04:59 »

LOL LOL... Yup I had to take 2 teeth out for my braces.. And boy were my lips and gum swollen.. Haha, and I could bite anywhere and it wouldn't hurt..

Ended up with lots of wounds though :P

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31/03/2008 02:38:49 »
I mean did your mum have to see a person who does hypnosis, or was it just like a book or a tape or..

...told you I was having a blonde moment. :D  She went to a hypnotist.

another_someone

« Reply #20 on: 31/03/2008 03:13:17 »

Indeed.  I have a friend who used to do a stint as a stage hypnotist, but she was saying about how some of the guys would brag about being able to seduce girls with hypnosis (certainly, there have been stories in the past with professional hypnotists having affairs with their patients).

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31/03/2008 08:16:30 »

Indeed.  I have a friend who used to do a stint as a stage hypnotist, but she was saying about how some of the guys would brag about being able to seduce girls with hypnosis (certainly, there have been stories in the past with professional hypnotists having affairs with their patients).

that's not confined to hypnotists.. many 'professional' people in areas of traust have been known to abuse the relationship to their own satisfaction.

I'm sceptical about hypnosis and think it's more about admiration and cold reading.

another_someone

« Reply #22 on: 20/04/2008 23:48:49 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7355523.stm
A hypnotist from West Sussex has undergone surgery on his right hand without a general anaesthetic.

Alex Lenkei, 61, from Worthing, chose to sedate himself by hypnosis before undergoing the 83-minute operation.

He said he was fully aware of everything going on around him during the procedure but was free from pain.

The operation at Worthing Hospital involved removing some bone in the base of the thumb and fusing some joints in an attempt to improve his arthritis.

Consultant orthopaedic surgeon David Llewellyn-Clark said he was happy in agreeing to the unusual sedation on Mr Lenkei, a registered hypnotist who has been practising since the age of 16.

Mr Lenkei said Wednesday's surgery "went amazingly well".

"It took between 30 seconds to a minute for me to place myself under hypnosis, and from that point I felt a very deep relaxation.

"I was aware of everything around me, from people talking and at one stage a hammer and chisel was used as well as a surgical saw, but I felt no pain."

Throughout the operation, an anaesthetist was on standby to administer an anaesthetic if necessary.

Mr Llewellyn-Clark said he had been confident that Mr Lenkei was a skilled hypnotist and was "delighted all went well".

Believe or disbelieve as you will.

lyner

« Reply #23 on: 21/04/2008 09:11:58 »
I heard him on radio 4. He sounded very level-headed and the whole thing was very believable.
This sort of thing is not uncommon in parts of the Far East.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #23 on: 21/04/2008 09:11:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums